Quantcast

Tips for flat riding.

Jul 19, 2005
Manizales, COLOMBIA
I´ve always reaced clips but did some trainning with flats and liked it a lot for leaning in the curves and things like that, i already bought a pair of 5.10 but what i need is ths suspension setup.
I have a V10 M, with a 450 spring on a 5th element.
Air pressure??should i use a softer spring? anything would be useful.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I don't necessarily switch my shock settings for riding flats. I may adjust my riding style in terms of cornering and overall body position on the bike but nothing in terms of setup.

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
I don't necessarily switch my shock settings for riding flats. I may adjust my riding style in terms of cornering and overall body position on the bike but nothing in terms of setup.
I agree wtih mobius. You really shouldn't change your riding style based on pedals.

Just as if I was going from flats to clips, you would make some recommendations on shoe/pedal combos. You should do the same here. You've got the best flat shoe in the market, so now you need to make sure you have good pedals. Flat pedals with set screws in then, such as Azonic A-Frames, tend to work better than those with pins. Although pedals with pins (rather than set screws) tend to not grip as well, there are exceptions. The CrankBros 5050 series of pedals with the longer (5mm I think?) pins are awesome!

:cheers:

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
well, maybe u got some bad habits from riding clips that didn t bother u then because u were riding clips...but will be a problem now with flats...the most common one is that u don t redirect the braking forces to ur feet. with flats it is very important to redirect all of the brakin force to ur pedals. this way u stay on ur pedals and have much more grip, hence braking better and being able to handle it better. this can be achieved by dropping the back of ur foot as much as possible and when braking instread of supporting ur body that tries to go over the bars, with ur arms on the bars, support it with ur feet on ur pedals. hope this helps...cheers

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree wtih mobius. You really shouldn't change your riding style based on pedals.

Just as if I was going from flats to clips, you would make some recommendations on shoe/pedal combos. You should do the same here. You've got the best flat shoe in the market, so now you need to make sure you have good pedals. Flat pedals with set screws in then, such as Azonic A-Frames, tend to work better than those with pins. Although pedals with pins (rather than set screws) tend to not grip as well, there are exceptions. The CrankBros 5050 series of pedals with the longer (5mm I think?) pins are awesome!

Mobius pretty much said the opposite of what you said numnuts, so how can you agree?

That, and you're recommending like the worst flats ever. Nothin' like some convex, eh?

Get Tioga MX Pros if you're buying pedals.

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Foot out and sliding, the only true way of riding flats.....

I found when I went from clips to flats (hated clips), i'd be really sketchy through rock garden because I wasn't staying light and kept slipping pedals.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
I road cliped all last year, flats all this year, till today. Switched it up just for kicks. So much changes with either set up, theres no way to really tell someone what to do. You will either keep your feet on the pedals and addapted or ride on your nuts alot. Today I found that I was turning with my hips and heals too much and unclipping when I tryed to do cutties. Blasting rough stuff was way smoother, as I could keep the bike lighter and my body postion abit more forward. then I usaly could with flats. I am thinking I will be mostly riding/racing cliped next year. I really wanted to see if I could make the switch this year just for kicks. It is abit more satisfying riding flats for me, but not quite as fast...

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Im really supprised you guys pay so much attention to body position when your riding, I cant say i've ever conciously thought about my body position to any real extent.

Anyway, I rode and raced Hardtail Dh with flats for a season, if that dont teach you how to ride flats and keep those feet on the pedals then nothing will.

My only thoughts are lean into the pedals, ie drop your heels under braking or whenever it gets rough and now thats its easier to take a foot off dont start waving your legs around like a wannabe mxer, in 95% of situations both feet on the pedals is that way forward.

flats reccomendations? Funn soljam vipers.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
What does lowering your seat have to do with riding flat pedals? I keep mine pretty high for pedaling on long open sections seated since i cant put down the power i could with clips.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin

I bought longer replacement pins at a specialized hardware store for bolts/nuts/shims/screws etc. Waaay cheaper than ordering from a bikeshop - pedal manufacturer.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What does lowering your seat have to do with riding flat pedals? I keep mine pretty high for pedaling on long open sections seated since i cant put down the power i could with clips.
I find with flats I tend to sit more and stick out my foot, so I keep it lower. Plus I feel extra pinner when I run a higher seat and clips.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by hbfrdh
Now who's being "numbnuts".:bonk:
ummm that would still be you there mister fvcking genius.:bonk:

ohh and sorry i really cant contribute to much to this forum other than. my tiogas will go the grave with me, have lasted me 2 years of east coast mud ridding, and will be going on my next dh rig after there rebuilt and pins are replaced. the 5050's are excellent if you like a pedal that is convexed and has no traction unless you wear a pair of 5.10's, but when you think about it 5.10's will stick to a floor hmmmmmm. although there is one other thing that i do have to say and that is next year i plan on switching over to clips for select races (ie:courses i know really well and trails that i ride frequently). ive always wanted to give them a shot on a dh course so i plan on doing so. hope that helped you out a little bit man and sorry for the long post.:cheers:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've been swithing back and forth all season. Flats are more fun, but I'm faster on clips. Flats have taught me to corner better and keep my weight low and on my feet, where it should be.

Anyways, the only thing I change is my foot position. For flats I place my foot much farther forward than I would on clips, with the axle under the arch of my foot. Let your heels drops, and weight the pedals in turns.
I've also been running my seat a bit lower.