Quantcast

Tips for riding with a long wheelbase ??

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Hello

I used to ride a short WB bike and switched to a Bighit with the BETD 26" wheel seatstay --> Wheel Base = 46.6" / Chain Stay Length = 17.8".
My Bighit is very stable at high speeds and it's better for DH than my previous bike, but I have some ‘troubles’, especially with turning.

Do you guys/girls have tips'n'tricks for riding a DH bike with a long(er) wheelbase ?

Thx.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, I found that when I went to a bigger wheelbase that I needed a slacker front end. I was running a fairly short fork up front, and I found that in high speed turns I just couldn't keep the front end turning well with the shorter fork. Perhaps it's because it's harder to weight the more unstable(shorter) fork. With a slacker fork I was able to weight the front end correctly to turn correctly. I also notice that some bikes turn very well with little body movement, and that some require a lot of body movement to carve an optimum turn. You just have to find what works for you. Old hard tires (like kujos) simply suck for turning as well, so good tires is also a good start.

BTW, by my standards that bighit isn't *that* long, long like a DH bike, but there are plenty DH bikes with 18" chainstays, heck some even a little longer.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
at slower speed and /or on flat ground you can "flop" the bike in the direction that you want to turn. the slack HA will steer the bike that way and if you let it, it will catch you and and send you out the right way. if you start with your weight forward and throw the bike froward as it catches you, you'll carry more speed.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
preppie said:
Wheel Base = 46.6" / Chain Stay Length = 17.8".
<snip> but I have some ‘troubles’, especially with turning.

Do you guys/girls have tips'n'tricks for riding a DH bike with a long(er) wheelbase ?

Thx.
:D *snicker* 46.6"s that is pretty std isn't it?

My old school Rotec is looooong (near 49"s with a long chainstayand looong TT) I came from a motorcycle background so turning has never really been a problem...in fact most DH bikes feal to short...like a BMX bike to me.

Try what has been mentioned above....aslo try "bouncing" (my made up description) into a corner. Load your suspension as you enter the corner and the fork and rear will compress to effectively shorten your WB some...but that doesn't work as well with slow corners. Just turn your front wheel a inch farther than you are used to and the rear wheel will follow jsut fine. I mena really it is inches not feet. If you can't get your rear wheel around something you need to widen your turn a "little bit"

A longer wheel base allows for more movement to wieght the wheels don't be afraid to experiment with it....lean way forward. Well more like body centered and head over the Hbars....not belly on the bars. ;)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I dont know what your talking about, I ride a giant... :blah:

edit: I thought my old big hit was a good in the turns.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stoney98 said:
ride a yeti dh-9 or an older rotec. I was rocking a 48.5 with a boxxer on the yeti. THAT'S a long bike.
Yep.

2002 Rotec (last of the long old school rigs)

Some old sketchy numbers I found. I measured up my Rotec one night (I was bored :) ) All are approx...but pretty close. I now have a 01 monster on the front wich added even more length to my beast. :)

1999ish Rotec Pro DH (2002 main frame)
aka The Limo
BB height - 15 1/2"
Chain stay - 17 3/4"
TT - 26 1/2"
Wheel Base 48 1/4"
Stand over - 31"
Head Tube - 5"
Handlebar width - 28"
Stem length - 1 1/2"
Head angle - 66 degrees
Seat angle - 63-64 degrees (right in the middle-kinda)
Axle to crown on a 2003 Boxxer Race - 21 1/5" Very sketchy number

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Learn to turn more with the back end- sliding it around will help you turn a lot better. Kinda like watcing Ricky Carmichael ride MX.....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
46.5 isn't that long, just practice with it! Maybe exaggerate body motions a tad.

I had the old s-works DH stays on my big hit for a whopping 49.5" wheelbase, that was rediculous. It wouldn't fit in the bed of my truck straight!

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I noticed that my rear-end is easier to control when I get more over the front.
And I recently switched from flats to CB Mallets and it's easier to control the rear with SPD's. It's not that my Bighit feels sluggish but it's just another kind of body movement and steering.
It's going to take some time to get used to, but I'm 6.0 and the 46.6" WB is indeed not 'that' long, it's just something completely different from what I'm used to.

RhinofromWA and Stoney98 how tall are you, considering your 'comfortably' racing with a 48.5" - 49" WB?

More tips are welcome.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
my med yeti dh9 w/ 888 has a 47.6in wheelbase. the best thing to do is just go faster! for skinnies use all the room you can to turn.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
preppie said:
RhinofromWA and Stoney98 how tall are you, considering your 'comfortably' racing with a 48.5" - 49" WB?

More tips are welcome.
I am 5"11 with a 29" inseam...yes I am built like a gurrilla...a fat gurrilla. I am long up top comapred to my legs. ;)

Just ride your bike more and the length won't even be an issue....the more time the less you worry about a couple inches here and there....it all become automatic.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm 6' 6" and 250 and ride an 02 Rotec with an 02 Monster. Makes it 48.25" WB at just under 50 lbs. I still ride with a 24" on the rear so it makes the head angle even more exaggerated....which is a very good thing at speed but sux like ass when trying to steer tightly at slow speeds or wheelie drop....My solution is to look very far ahead and be very light on the bike...kinda hop around the corner....but the more you ride the better your own style will develop....And as always....GO FAST....otherwise there's no point!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Secret Squirrel said:
I'm 6' 6" and 250 and ride an 02 Rotec with an 02 Monster. Makes it 48.25" WB at just under 50 lbs. I still ride with a 24" on the rear so it makes the head angle even more exaggerated....which is a very good thing at speed but sux like ass when trying to steer tightly at slow speeds or wheelie drop....My solution is to look very far ahead and be very light on the bike...kinda hop around the corner....but the more you ride the better your own style will develop....And as always....GO FAST....otherwise there's no point!!
:D hey I know who this is......

I think.

Rhino

su_root

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
Denver CO
i've been riding an 03 bighit expert, and it doesn't feel that long, but my suggestion would be to practice alot. Personaly i like the longer wheel base it feels more stable at speed, and sticks to the ground a .little better in DH

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
I've noticed that I need to move around A LOT more while cornering.
It feels kind of weird to throw myself around, but it works.
The "let-the-rearwheel-slide" is also something new to me, but the faster I go the easier it gets, this means I just have to 'pin it' all the time :)
The "get-over-the-front-wheel-trick" works great for slow technical corners, I point my front wheel and lean into the corner and the rest will follow.
It's still a bit 'scary' in steep rock gardens and off-camber corners, but I will get used to it.

Another thing that worked was 45% sag instead of the 35% I used before (but the pedaling is a little less now --> Non-ProPedal Fox RC)
My Super-T is at the Max A2C instead of the Minimum now.
This makes my HA a degree (or 2) slacker and it feels great.

Thanks for the tips.