Quantcast

Tips on Grips

mrpistol

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Western PA
Okay, i figured it was about time to change the grips. I think i'm gonna have to cut off these old ones.
My question is...does anyone have any good tips on securing the new ones so they don't slide around?
thanks

Old_Dude

Monkey
I've never tried grips with a lock-on feature, though many have said they love 'em.

I really like the Ritchey TGV dual-compound grips - mine aren't loose, but they are "twisted tight" and they do not slip.

I firmly believe grips (or tape for the roadies), saddle, shorts, pedals & shoes can make a world of difference in performance, comfort and overall satisfaction the biking experience when used and fitted properly.

I bet there are probably many equally useful grips out there - perhaps even better grips, but I haven't tried them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most people here swear by Odi lock ons. I personally just use 3-M Super 77 spray adhesive. Grips go on easy, will never slip. Remove the grips with rubbing alcahol. A small can of the spray will run you $5 at lowes or a similar store.

I still use cheap hairspray to tack down grips, and since the people I build bikes for and I all ride with gloves (and neither sweat like freaks from our hands in our common 100 degree heat nor soak our bikes in streams overnight), I have YET to have or hear of a grip coming loose. This is XC riding, not trials.

Use the cheapest hairspray you can find, like Aqua Net, or just get one of those sample/travel mini bottles they sell at Target and Walmart (that fits in the tool box), jand spray down the inside of the grip. It will slide the grip on slick as snot, dry overnight and keep the grip right where you need it, if you adequately wet it with the spray-the-inside move.

If you've had a problem with a spinning grip before, just clean the bar before using the hairspray. Rub it down with rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover or a Stridex pad. That will clean off the oils and give the lacquer a good bond. It also prevents the dreaded bar acne if you use the Stridex. :monkey:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The only grips I've used that did not slip eventually are ODI lock-ons, Grab-on foam grips and Oury. I've always used wd-40 to install grips as it evaporates fairly quickly. Hairspray never worked for me. 3M spray contact cement was a failure too. Air pressure is great. The reason grips slip is often because they stretch under hard riding and it allows sweat or water under the edge, then your sunk. Safety wire helps keep the ends of the grip in contact with the bar so that water has a harder time getting in.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Lock ons rule. If not, using rubber cement or a similar product that won't brake down when it gets wet. BMX end plugs are also good because they will help stop the grips from peeling back and letting dirt/water in when you lay your bike down.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
All I use is ODI lock-ons, but when I'm working on a customers bike I use Aqua-net hair spray. A lot of guys I ride with love Ourys and have motorcycle grip all the time it seems. (Oury's are available as lock-ons now, but they aren't quite as soft). For the moto-grip generally we just use 2 zip-ties per grip really tight, making sure they're rotated so they don't contact your fingers.

Mecannoman

Chimp
Mar 16, 2003
hovering
Methyl Hydrate works great, and evaporates quickly. Hairspray does the trick, but it stinks! WD-40 also works, but it does leave a residue that causes some grips to slide around...

Try the lock-ons. They really are worth the price.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
I have used lock-ons in the past, but I switched to Ourys because I like the feel better. I always put my Ourys on with an air compressor, so they never twisted. However, the plan now is to get a pair of Oury Lock-Ons :D.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
lock on grips work well but are kinda expensive...if you just want to put the grips you have on there well use hair spray and spray the bar and the grip...and then use a compressor to blow the hair spray dry. this works the best out of everything i tried besides the lock on grips

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I have lock on grips for my bike, ut have not put them on yet due to the fact that the ones on there now are not sliping.

Are the lock on's really that stable? I imagin they would be.

Lenny

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Northern NJ
These are the only things that actually work:

1- air gun, blow them on like at the bike shop
this is absolutely the best way cuz nothing comes between the grip and bar

2- a tiny amount of isopropyl alcohol; work quick and shove them puppies on before it evaporates; when on, the alcohol will evaporate and you'll have the same situation as in 1 above

3- grip glue sold at some bike and motorcycle shops; use very sparingly or it'll take forever to dry

In all cases, wire the ends tight so water doesn't sneak underneath and cause rotation
Lenny

BIG_MAN_290

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
i've used the lock on grips for like 3 years. never had any problems with them. the only thing you have to watch out for is the little allen key bolts that tighten the grips on, as they can round out VERY easily.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by BIG_MAN_290
i've used the lock on grips for like 3 years. never had any problems with them. the only thing you have to watch out for is the little allen key bolts that tighten the grips on, as they can round out VERY easily.
Thats good to know!!