Quantcast

Tire Balls?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I think the idea is great especially where flat tires can stop a dh race run. THe site looks like it ha not been updated in six moths and I can't see where you can order a set for a bike just a motocycle and atv's

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
So 100% incredibly inconvenient and a major waste of time. Check.

Also, what Damo said.
no there not inconvenient just find a tire pressure you like and go. not a waste of time if u had em ud understand that there worth it you would have to ride them to understand. if you were going down the mountain and knew that no matter what u werent going to flat the ud go much faster.

perfect thing to use in a getaway car! lol

most of the Baja guys run these dont they?
it sounds awesome, but sice they are a set 'em and forget 'em type of product being introduced to one of the most perfectionist sports in the world... i can see why people dont like the idea of having them...
and of course, to top it off, they are a major p.i.t.a. to work with...

i personally would like some, but if they cost that much- no thank you, i'll go buy some Stan's

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
i run 4 ply tires and dh tubes, with 15-20 psi, and no flats ever so i assume the weight would be about that maybe a little less, but i know what my tires deflated are like to get on, these have to be terrible to work with
well 4 ply and dh tube weighs more than the tires ball and when u understand how to put them in then its a peace of cake my dad did it with a broken wirst and i didnt help casue i wasnt home! no joke he did it with a broken wrist and he said it only took him 5-10mins!

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
How do you check your tire pressure? Do you have to take the tire off and measure each tire ball and add them up?
i really forget how. i havent messed with them since i put them in at the begining of the winter. but i think it may be if ur running 20 psi then u put that in each ball, im not 100% sure about it thogh.

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
i would really like to try tire balls.

they wont be the same as tubes at all. because each 'ball' has a much smaller volume then a tube, they would 'ramp up' much more then a tube. and make flatting much harder.

you should def give them a try!

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
If you live on sea level and race in the resorts on elevation you have to adjust your tire pressure at the race venue. Tire balls :crazy: Thanks, I'll stick with tubeless!
i went from sea level to snowshoe and didnt touch them and the were fine!

racer661

Chimp
Oct 31, 2007
I think the idea is great especially where flat tires can stop a dh race run. THe site looks like it ha not been updated in six moths and I can't see where you can order a set for a bike just a motocycle and atv's
ya they are especally great for really rocky courses. and right now there working with all over the atv and motto dude they said they will be getting back to biking soon u should send them an email and ask them about buying.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
The only downside I can see with these things is being at the top of the race course when the guy next to me gives his valves a couple of love taps to let a few PSI out of his tires. I can just imagine frantically trying to do that to all of my balls before my run.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The only downside I can see with these things is being at the top of the race course when the guy next to me gives his valves a couple of love taps to let a few PSI out of his tires. I can just imagine frantically trying to do that to all of my balls before my run.
You are so screwed. I am going to give my valves a whole lot of love taps. Then watch you do the same, as I go somewhere out of site and pump my tires back up.

Who gets on to the lift headed up for a race run and doesn't have their tires at the right PSI?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
If you live on sea level and race in the resorts on elevation you have to adjust your tire pressure at the race venue.
Going from sea level to the top of Mount Everest, the atmospheric pressure changes by around about 10 psi.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I live at 1000m. Not that high, really. But bags of food sealed at sea level under less pressure become pressurised and more inflated once brought up here.

As for TyreBalls, a few points that have been brought up:
1. Installation difficulties
2. Difficult to check pressure
3. Pressure change at altitude (I believe it would)
4. Expense compared to tubes/ tubeless
5. Weight compared to tubes and especially tubeless.
6. Their only sales rep seems to be a 13yo boy
7. Kidwoo knows how to make funny pics using his keyboard.

Racer661, I am glad you are happy with the product enough to endorse it like this. I believe it would be a fantastic product for moto, 4x4 and getaway cars, just not for mtb use.

For me, however, I'll stick to tube and tubeless setups. I have never flatted in a race and the issues stated above are enough to keep me away.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I think the only way this could be viable in the mountain bike world is if every ball had a valve going through the rim, but then the thing would be so freaking heavy no one would run it with the except of Bender.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Going from sea level to the top of Mount Everest, the atmospheric pressure changes by around about 10 psi.
thanks. i hate it when people use the 'oh, but the pressure will be different when you go up a hill argument'

i was thinking about the whole installing the tire balls thing, another way it could be possibly done is by drilling the rim with loads of holes big enough for those football needle valves, then you put all the needle thingys on with the balls, though the rim. install the tire as normal with the balls deflated, then inflate each ball to the pressure thats needed, and pull out the needles.

sure, you will need to drill your rims, but if it makes installation easier, it might make it worth it.

the main problem i see is installing them, but if its really 5-10 mins then maybe i am wrong. coz it would be a bitch if are a rider who changes tires frequently.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
It would be interesting to see what the exact weight of the balls is. So you could compare it to say, just regular tires and DH tubes(what i run, never flatted)
And last time i checked, when your pinning it in your race run to try and get that cheddar your not thinking about if your going to flat or not. So that point is invalid
Oh and also, last time i checked beginner 13-14 doesn't give out cheddar mr. tireballz rep.
not saying they're bad, you just wonder why more people haven't used them.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
lol, why not? the holes will be smaller then whats needed for the spokes. it wont screw up the rims that bad.
True, and it will make the weight gain of the balls invalid..:biggrin:

I just have a problem with drilling holes in my bike just to use a unproven technology. Call me weird.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
haha, dont think the holes will save that much weight. anyways, its just an idea.

still waiting for a video it being installed on a wheel.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I agree that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If you flat, run tubeless. I know I'm not thinking about flats in a race run. If it happens, deal with it then. Otherwise, just go fast.

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
I live at 1000m. Not that high, really. But bags of food sealed at sea level under less pressure become pressurised and more inflated once brought up here.

As for TyreBalls, a few points that have been brought up:
1. Installation difficulties
2. Difficult to check pressure
3. Pressure change at altitude (I believe it would)
4. Expense compared to tubes/ tubeless
5. Weight compared to tubes and especially tubeless.
6. Their only sales rep seems to be a 13yo boy
7. Kidwoo knows how to make funny pics using his keyboard.

Racer661, I am glad you are happy with the product enough to endorse it like this. I believe it would be a fantastic product for moto, 4x4 and getaway cars, just not for mtb use.

For me, however, I'll stick to tube and tubeless setups. I have never flatted in a race and the issues stated above are enough to keep me away.

Just to let you know Racer661 is Ethan Q who won the JrX class at snowshoe beating most the pros times every race, After seeing him use the tire balls first hand and other then Installation difficulties (still way more easy then tubeless) I would say they work very well.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Just to let you know Racer661 is Ethan Q who won the JrX class at snowshoe beating most the pros times every race, After seeing him use the tire balls first hand and other then Installation difficulties (still way more easy then tubeless) I would say they work very well.
Yeah, but can he make boobs and bums like kidwoo?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'd be interested to see an installation video too. The idea of many valves isn't a terrible one. If someone was dedicated to this system a drilled rim would make things much easier to work with. A slightly modified version of the football-style needle valve could easily be modified to protrude a little in order to locate it to a hole in the rim. The weight gain would probably be negligible.

It does look like a pain to work with, but I know people who spend a lot more than $300 on new DH racing kit every year, and there are very few things that are as vital to your performance as tires.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
woody- the whole idea is that you put put on the tire with them deflated so its like a normal tire first. then inflate it with the needles, then pull it out. no point leaving the needles there.

I agree that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If you flat, run tubeless. I know I'm not thinking about flats in a race run. If it happens, deal with it then. Otherwise, just go fast.
tubeless doesn't solve the flatting problem.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
More like 20.

But anyway nobody rides on everest.......I drive from about 7k to sea level about once a week and there is a difference in tire pressure sometimes. Enough that it's certainly noticeable and why I mentioned it in the first place. You should hear the gatorade bottles in my truck crush and expand on the drive :D

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
it doesnt matter who he is. he is posting on a MESSAGE BOARD. thats not a very good way to represent someone who is sponsoring you. steve peat could come on here and if he typed like that he would still get laughed off the forum.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So being fast means he can be borderline unintelligible?

And how it is easier than tubeless? I put a tire on a rim, pour in a half cup of goo, seat bead and inflate with floor pump. Takes all of 2 minutes.