Quantcast

Tire chains for Outback

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I have a 2006 Subaru Outback and I need some chains for winter mountain driving. I can't seem to find information on what chains to buy. Does anyone know? Thanks-

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
All wheel drive, traction control, good tires, ABS, you have lived in minnesota so you know how to drive in snow.....and you want chains?? For around here?

I have made literally hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of trips to the mountains all over the northwest in the last 15 years driving either a front or all wheel drive and have never used nor needed chains.

Maybe if you were driving a RWD pick-up.....

but yea, what he ^^^ said

Last edited:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You cannot buy typical chains for Outbacks. Regular chains will screw up the drivetrain, you have to purchase one's that mount to the rim.

i remember they were priced at around 3 to 4 hundred bucks. For that price you would be better served just getting a good set of snow tires.

The one thing that is true is the capability of the car to manuever in winter conditions. Hands down the best handling car i've had in crummy and/or off-road conditions.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
All wheel drive, traction control, good tires, ABS, you have lived in minnesota so you know how to drive in snow.....and you want chains?? For around here?

I have made literally hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of trips to the mountains all over the northwest in the last 15 years driving either a front or all wheel drive and have never used nor needed chains.

Maybe if you were driving a RWD pick-up.....

but yea, what he ^^^ said
Yes, I lived 30 years in Minnesota and I have no problem driving in snow. I also know the capabilities of my Subaru. I am much less familiar with winter, mountain driving.
The reason I posted this question was because I have been told that you should not put chains on an Outback and I have been told that you can. I really wasn't looking for a sarcastic answer to my question.
Thanks for the info skookum