Quantcast

tire psi

stinkyjames

Chimp
Apr 11, 2009
hi i'm kinda new here and i'm not sure if any has asked this b4 but wad kind of tire psi should i be running for dh? currently running a kona stinky with a dhx3.0, fox40 up front.. sunrims s-type with minion front dh tires and kenda nevegals... front and rear 40-55 psi...

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
thats a LOT of tire pressure, i run around 25-30 depending on the course. A bit less in the front than the rear personally. 27 is a pretty good number for me.

stinkyjames

Chimp
Apr 11, 2009
haha yea thats wad my friends told me... it feels fine to me but i guess softer could be better...... will my riding be affected when i first start to tone down the presure?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
tubeless i run 25 psi, tubes i run 23ish front and 30ish rear. thats with single ply's and XC tubes.

if i have DH casing i run 20psi front and 27 rear. never have pinch flatted with DH tires.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It depends on many things as Kanter said. I'm a light rider (around 70kg) running rather heavy ust tires and on less rocky trails i run 15/20psi (front/back) while on rocky i go 5-7psi up. Had only one tear during the season due to the fact of not going the 5-7psi.

30+ imo is overkill if you are not heavy and riding something very rocky ( I did the Maribor rockgarden with pressure only a bit over 20psi in both tires with no serious problems). Well that or running ****ty weight weenie tires (non kaiser continentals for example) that float anywhere below 35psi.

40+PSI is the pressure I use for my DJ bike. It's insane for dh as it is the max pressure most tires and hold and gives zero traction. The only good thing is good rolling but with running barracuda and dhf's on UST I'm gaining speed to fast already ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I like to run 30+ psi at Whistler. :(
30 psi front and 35 psi rear.
I dont want to walk down Garbonzo.
I run 2ply Minions with Ultralite Maxxis tubes.

Last edited:

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Good point on the tires, tubes etc affecting proper PSI. I personally have Maxxis DH tubes and 2.5 DHFs. Have been running the same set of tubes for about a year and a half now haha.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I am 185 with gear and I run 36 psi rear and 30,5 front. I run tubeless (minion f, high roller), and around 30 psi on spikes (also tubeless).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would run a PSI range that you will cut down on flats.

So if you are running single-ply Nevegals, keep it at 40psi. Dual-plys, you should be able to range down to 30psi.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I would run a PSI range that you will cut down on flats.

So if you are running single-ply Nevegals, keep it at 40psi. Dual-plys, you should be able to range down to 30psi.
Flats can be always dealt with stans with or w/o tubes or ust. Much better than loosing on traction.

stinkyjames

Chimp
Apr 11, 2009
thanks for the tips guys... did wad most of u told me to and downed my psi to about 25 and my bike has been gripping like superglue.... went throught a wet day of riding without a pinch or a crash....