Quantcast

Tire Selection for the SS Race..

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
spiked mud tires. I hear they work good in loose over hardpack.

Really, the high rollers should work good. I have DHF's mounted on one wheelset and Highrollers on another. I plan to experiment on Friday. Stop by and I'll let you know what is working best. We are pretty easy to spot and will be staying at Whistlepunk (the parking lot across from the lift.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Spendin' Chips at Manny's
spiked mud tires. I hear they work good in loose over hardpack.

Really, the high rollers should work good. I have DHF's mounted on one wheelset and Highrollers on another. I plan to experiment on Friday. Stop by and I'll let you know what is working best. We are pretty easy to spot and will be staying at Whistlepunk (the parking lot across from the lift.
Thank you sir. I've been getting mixed answers and thought postin' up here would help.

They both look to be about the same style of tire.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
As long as it stays dry you wont have any issues with the high rollers. I will help you get the pressure set just right Sat. morning. Not a big fan of the intense tires, the side walls are way to stiff.

When you do decide to get new tires I would recommend either the Kenda Nevagal or Maxxis Minion. I have used both and both are good all around tires for up there

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Just a simple known fact, Intense tires are absolutely phenomenal in the dry, and gauging by the weather report, it will be dry. However, if there is any moisture to be had, Maxxis is the way to go.

This has always been the rule of thumb. I usually always end up keeping my Maxxis on the bikes for the first 3-4 months of the season because I know it will be wet at the Shoe. SO it looks I will get to mount my new Intense tires and ride them this weekend.

Its really a matter of taste, but the rule of thumb is this, Intense = Dry = good

Maxxis = anything with water on the ground.

A safe bet therefor is Maxxis is a good all around tire, so if that's the route you go, you're good to go.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
As long as it stays dry you wont have any issues with the high rollers. I will help you get the pressure set just right Sat. morning. Not a big fan of the intense tires, the side walls are way to stiff.

When you do decide to get new tires I would recommend either the Kenda Nevagal or Maxxis Minion. I have used both and both are good all around tires for up there

Thank you sir...every other piece of advice you have offered has been spot on..will heed this also.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Good advice. Denjen is usually right on the money. He just doesn't like Intense tires :D .....But the Minions you CAN'T go wrong.

I had Maxxis tires on my rockcrawlers and love the company..

It was BONE dry last weekend and the High Rollers were nice..damn nice actually..but the Intense I know has the stiffer side walls and are wider..so wasn't really sure what to do..

Me thinks me thinkin' too much about the race...

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
When I ran the intense it felt like I had basketballs on. they just bounced and deflected off of everything. Even when I dropped the pressure down to 15 pounds it still felt hard.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I had Maxxis tires on my rockcrawlers and love the company..

It was BONE dry last weekend and the High Rollers were nice..damn nice actually..but the Intense I know has the stiffer side walls and are wider..so wasn't really sure what to do..

Me thinks me thinkin' too much about the race...
Yes you are, so the quote of the weekend applies here:

SHUT UP AND RIDE!

Have a nice day. :)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I ended up with a 2.7 DHF on the front and a 2.5" High roller on the rear. 22 psi and 26 psi. I liked the grip with higher pressure in the front. However, my hands were getting sore since I rode so much on all 3 days.

The high roller worked incredible on the off camber grass ski slope after the off camber section. I was using no brakes across that after changing to the high roller. I was still a little slow this weekend due to a problem with my brain making my finger pull the lever too much.

Craig, from HGR, was running 2.7 high rollers front and rear and put down a 5:07. Not bad for a 39 year old from the land of flat (Chicago).

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
NEVEGAL is the only tire you should be thinking of. 2.5 front and 2.35 rear. Why have all that rotating weight? They hook up on rocks and in the lomey stuff. I don't know of a tire that doesn't feel like marbles in dry conditions.