Quantcast

Tires and Superlight/Heckler owners

K

kitchenware

This is a cross-post from that other website. :) I want maximum exposure so's I can order my tires tonight maybe. :D

I'm running a 2.4 motoraptor on the front of my Superlight and a 2.1 of the same in the rear. The 2.1 is toast after a half season and the front still looks like new so my question is.... Is there a good fat (2.25-2.4) that I can run in the back on a Superlight/Heckler? Anyone out there running big tires on a SL or Heckler? I'm not really all that concerned with the weight since my Superlight isn't all that super light, it's more of an epic type bike than XC. :) Riding terrain is a mix of about everything with winter coming fast. Any suggestions?

~kw

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You can fit that 2.4 moto on the rear but its close. If you break a spoke or torque your wheel a bit it might rub. 2.1 Intense XC will fit too but again pretty close. The IRC DH tires fit fine as well but weigh a ton.

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by oldfart
You can fit that 2.4 moto on the rear but its close. If you break a spoke or torque your wheel a bit it might rub. 2.1 Intense XC will fit too but again pretty close. The IRC DH tires fit fine as well but weigh a ton.
I would put my 2.4 on the rear to test, but my rims are headin for the shop for professional help tonight. I'm hoping flex wont be that much of an issue after a good true/tightening. I landed on an off-camber tranny yesterday from about 3' and got some major tire rub in the rear with a 2.1 (along with bottoming out my front shock) so I decided that nearly 2 summers of riding was enough for these poor rims without a check-up. :D

A

airwreck

been there, done that, etc. same setup 2.4 moto front 2.1 velociraptor rear. I've also got a set of 2.3 Conti's which are not much if any bigger than the 2.1 WTB's. By the way I love the Conti's but they have there place, i.e. when rolling is not a priority. better chance of finding a bargain on a WTB as well.

shaun

Chimp
Sep 19, 2001
I've got a SL with a 2.3 nokian gazzi. This tire is the business. I'm 6'2" 210 and can run the tire with as much or as little pressure as I like, and no pinch flats. Wicked traction. Try it. I'll keep buying these as long as they make them. Not alot of extra room, but enough.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
it wore into my stays a little due to frame flex when busting berms, but works pretty well otherwise

dw

K

kitchenware

Well, I ordered another 2.4 motoraptor after a few days of running the one I have on the rear without incident. It's a tight fit, but there isn't any sign of rubbing yet. I felt like I should go with the moto because it still looks new with 6 months of heavy use and it's nice to run that low pressure when you want to. :)

I did have to move my lizard skin back a bit since it was hitting the seam every once in a while.

Look at them side lugs, arent they wonderful. :D

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by oldfart
And note the nice clean drive train! Well done boy!
I try and keep my drive train pretty clean. I may not clean the whole bike very often, but I do take good gare of the important parts. :)

D

DH40

Gazzy 2.3 is sweet, as mentioned below. It will fit fine and is a great all-around epic/fr tire...use a good tube (I use Hutchinson green DH) and you can forget about flats. I've run this tire on a Heckler and a Bullit. Knobs will tear if you do ALOT of road riding
on them, but probably any knobby would do that

P.S. Look into the new blue/black Nokians if your color-coordinator
will allow it.