Quantcast

Tires for NC

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
We are going to NC to ride in a couple of weeks and I was throwing around the idea of putting on a bigger tire on the front of my bike. Right now I have a 2.35 Nevegal up there. I was thinking something more like a 2.5-2.7, but closer to the 2.5. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I'm looking for something that is grippy and relatively light for it's size. Any suggestions? I was looking at Bontrager big earls. The 2.7 isn't too heavy and I've heard good things.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
We are going to NC to ride in a couple of weeks and I was throwing around the idea of putting on a bigger tire on the front of my bike. Right now I have a 2.35 Nevegal up there. I was thinking something more like a 2.5-2.7, but closer to the 2.5. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I'm looking for something that is grippy and relatively light for it's size. Any suggestions? I was looking at Bontrager big earls. The 2.7 isn't too heavy and I've heard good things.
Where do you plan to ride in NC? What trails?

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
Where do you plan to ride in NC? What trails?
Pisgah stuff mostly probably. Pilot, Black Mountain, maybe Farlow, Butter Gap, Whatever Else. Shuttleable stuff mostly prob.

Wilson's too. We ahven't ridden there yet but we are planning on at least a day. Looking at headley, beehive, greentown, whatever else.

Kitsuma prob too since we havent hit that one yet either. Maybe Dupont too.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
For everything except Wilson's, singly ply 2.35 nevegals will be fine.

You will need DH casings and DH tubes for Wilson's.

I thought I could get away with running DH tubes in 2.35 single ply nevegals, but I still got flats. Then again I probably hold the record for number of flats during a week of riding there.

A smooth rider like Cecil can get away with single ply, but if you ride like me, a plow mounted to a bullet train, then you're going to need something stronger.

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
You should be fine riding what you have on it now.
Yeah I know, I've taken 3 or 4 trips up there on these nevegals and never had an issue, but I just want to try something new:biggrin:

I think I might get a Kenda Excavator Sticky and run it just on shuttle days.

Last edited: