Quantcast

Tires for sand

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
My bros down south, what tires do you ride with in sand? I got tons of dunes that are waiting to be ridden but with no way to control in the sand, what do you all do for the sand?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
depends on the sand really. I've found that high rollers work really well in sand for keeping floatation above the sand rather than sinking down in and losing momentum, even the skinny ones, I don't know why. That's more for like, ft. ord/sea otter sand than actual dunes though.

I used to go with a bunch of guys and try to hit really steep sand dunes on beater hard tails, for that there's pretty much nothing to keep you in control, you just need to go fast and wait to crash, because you will. No matter what :D

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Eyes up, pedal ahead of yourself, try to float throught the sand with weight centered over cranks, pray to the pedal Gods that you will stay upright...
Tires? Ones with not too much air pressure in them. Round ones help too.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I would also need a motor to power that....not what I'm looking for.
Riding a bike in sand wouldn't be any more fun than walking through it. (pretty lame if you've ever had to do it for a reasonable distance) Just go sandboarding or get a dirtbike or quad to ride there. It's really not worth trying to ride a bike in, regardless of what tires you have it will suck.