Quantcast

Tires for urban/skate park

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
I'm looking for some fat 26" slick tires for skate parks and urban and such, but I can't seem to find any information on any. Like, I looked at the Maxxis website and i couldn't find any information on the 26" Hookworm, and I heard that Kenda has something along the same lines, but couldn't find any info there either. Help!

p2+

Chimp
May 1, 2002
Louisiana
Maxxis hookwarm tires are the ****, 26x2.5 will do the trick, all the traction you need and they wear well. Your bike will ride totally different with these tires. You will think your riding a XC bike, it's that fast and lite. Grippes totally different, better. they have a preasure rating of 65psi for the 2.5's.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use hookworms for park and street on my BMX, based on how well they work for that I'd say the 26" would be awesome too :thumb:

Mar 27, 2002
South Carolina
26" Hookworms are the $h!t... a buddy of mine got a pair for his Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 and they are the best tire going for what he's using it for (street/skateparks). They are, however, a pain in the butt to put on. They have a stiff wire bead that took both of us to pry it on. I was on the workbench and he was on the ground trying to pull it on the rim. I would run Kenda heavy duty tubes in the tires too, just be careful not to pinch them while putting them in.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
well, sounds like we have a solid vote for the Hookworms. Now where can I find info on the 26x2.5 version? They only have info on the little dinky BMX ones on the website.:angry:

Mar 27, 2002
South Carolina
They're not on the website yet, obviously. The distributors are just now getting them in. When my buddy got some, I called my distributor and they had just gotten them in that afternoon. If any of your dealers deal with The Hawley Co. (my main distributor), then they can get them. Good luck!

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
just use crap tires that you can buy at hardware stores and such. run xc tubes and pump them up to like 50 or 60. 1.95 and they roll super well

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I use XC slicks for street and park riding. They are really f'in light and roll very well! Just run high pressure and you will be all set:thumb: You can find them cheap on the internet too, I think mine were $15 a piece!!

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
I use last seasons worn out DH tyres - skid them a bit and you've basically got a semislick.... Michelin 16s work really nicely for this - stiff sidewalls, and they roll quite fast so long as you run 50+psi

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
The Hookworms freagin' rule. I used them last night for dj, and some trail riding. I can't believe how well they hook up in dirt. As expected, they are great on the street. But I am really surprised about how well they work on trails.

Get some, you won't regret it.

nj_rider

Chimp
Apr 17, 2002
NJ/PA
kenda is coming out with a tire called the K-Rad. I just talked to them and it should be out in april. You can look at the BMX onesto get an idea. They are 26x2.3 i think