Quantcast

Tires, help me out

Stench

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Hawaii
Just wanted some input on tires for wet, slick, claycaking mud. I'm running a michelin comp 24(poopy in the mud, GREAT dry tire) on the rear and a comp16(not bad) up front. Granted it's not ALWAYS muddy but mostly wet and slick clay.

Stench

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Hawaii
I saw someone eat it with the blue grooves yesterday. It was pretty funny actually. I hear the nevegal is good up front.

Here are my choices, but it really depends how muddy it is.

Muddy to drying conditions:
1. Michelin Comp 16 2.5
2. Maxxis High Roller 2.5 front 2.3 rear
3. Kenda Nevegal

Muddy to peanut butter:
1. Maxxis Swamp Thing 2.5

Slick as Sh!t:
1. Michelin muds 2.2

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Here are my choices, but it really depends how muddy it is.

Muddy to drying conditions:
1. Michelin Comp 16 2.5
2. Maxxis High Roller 2.5 front 2.3 rear
3. Kenda Nevegal

Muddy to peanut butter:
1. Maxxis Swamp Thing 2.5

Slick as Sh!t:
1. Michelin muds 2.2
This is very rare. Input that shows an actual thought process. Good information and why.

This is very rare. Input that shows an actual thought process. Good information and why.
Thanks. I have spent a lot of time experimenting as i do most of my riding in the mountains of western NC. Usually lots of rain and humidity so it gets nasty, although right now it hasn't rained in a while so it's getting dry and dusty and I don't know what tire to run. Trying the kenda small block eights on my slalom/trail bike and they are straight up and down hooking up in the dry conditions.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
would kenda kinetic stick-e's work in this situation?
What situation?

I regularly run Kenda Kinetics in the stickee compound (UST, XC & FR/DH) and they are great for traction on rocks & roots in wet & dry conditions and I really haven't had issues with them mud-wise...just make sure you get the thicker sidewalls for DH (I ended up with a single-ply pair of 2.6 and am not to sure how long the sidewalls will stand up to rocky conditions).

Stench

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Hawaii
Awesome, went with the nevegal in the front and moved the comp 16 to the rear. We'll see what happens.

Anyone comes to Hawaii, let me know. I live on Maui but got friends on all islands!!