Quantcast

tires rolling??

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I'v been riding downhill for about 18 months now and after being off the bike the first 6months of this year due to various injuries(pulled ankle ligaments, collar bone, concussion x2) i'v only really started to get my confidence back now and im back where i was when i left off and challenging for podium spots in junior men. yesterday, while riding the finnished sections of the new world cup track over here, i noticed what felt like my tire rolling laterally on some of the hard corners when pushing the front wheel into the ground for traction. At some points i actually thought i might have a slow puncture and my tire had gone soft.
If it helps, i am running michelin dh24's and havent pinch flatted yet so i dont think the pressure is the problem. also, i haven't really noticed that my front end wants to vanish from under me when i notice them rolling but that may be because of my lack of experience and the fact that i have never been this fast before so i dont know how my tires should react or how far i can push them.
so i was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions.
1) Is this normal?
2) If its not normal what can i do to stop it other than increase pressure?
3)most guys are running about 30psi, correct? how do psi relate to kPa or Bars? Because I only have access to a kPa pressure gauge.
or 4) Am i being paranoid?:imstupid:

Thanks Guys.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Increase your tire pressure.
As you get faster, you will push the tires harder, and you will need more pressure. Also, as your skills improve, you will be able to maintain traction without resorting to using low pressure. These harder tires will roll faster and make you faster.
See how this works?

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
For me the correct amount of psi is the key and that is dependant on the weather and track condition. I find that if the day starts off wet I need less psi to maintain the same traction. If the place dries out a bit, I can add a bit more to keep that traction.

With my tubeless set-up I find that 32 psi is a start point and then I add or remove depending on the terrain. If I ride a lot of roots/rocks where it is wet I need to lower a couple psi. If the place is drier and more flowy I add some... For me even +/- 2 pounds makes a ton of difference.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
If the front feels soft and loose, then yes, increase the pressure. Rolling a tire is way under pressure, pinch flatting is low pressure + bad luck... Handling "feel" of the bike is all about tuning the tire pressure, everything else being equal. ( I also run michi's )

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I run Minion 2.5 3cs and weigh about 225. Haha. I don't know the exact pressure I am running but I noticed in a few g-outs and tight berms I could feel the tire folding. So I added some pressure and haven't noticed it much since. I never pinched on the old pressure but I did notice this happening in the bike park sometimes in those certain situations so I doubt they were too low. I don't think this helped you much, just felt like sharing my experiences.

(I am also not the best in corners so there could be a few things contributing to it)