Quantcast

Tires.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, um, what's everyone running in these parts?

Since I actually managed to-gasp-ride my bike last weekend, I think this mountain biking thing might actually become a more regular part of my life (again, that is).

And since I need at least one new tire, I'll ask for your recommendations for a general-use (aggressive trail/enduro, whatever you wanna call singletrack riding with the emphasis on going downhill fast) UST tire in the 2.1-2.3 range. Riding a Nevegal 2.1 UST front and a Nokian NBX 2.3 (about the same size) rear.

Was just going to put Nevegals f/r, but I'm curious as to how the newer UST Michelins are working out, as well as Specialized's offerings.

Thanks for the input...

MD

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
For downhill I'm pretty set on the Michelin DH 16 2.2 front, DH 24 2.2 rear combo. I can't picture myself running anything else anytime soon.
On the trail/jumping hardtail, I'm using DH16 front, arrow launch rear. I'm planning to try a DH15 in the back. Granted both of these suck in loose climbing situations.

I've tried a variety of Kenda, Maxxis, WTB tires. The Michelins have just been better all-around. With others I've always been tempted to swap out for this or that.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, I'm a micchie DH (Comp 32/24) fan from way back. But I need lighter tires. I'm not dragging my DH tires along on trailrides anymore. Did it for years. There are smarter ways to ride, and, alas, I don't see myself riding that hard anymore.

I'm thinking of longer rides, probably not shuttled so much. A fat 2.1 or normal 2.3 (maaaybe 2.4) is about the limit of my width, 8-900g max weight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Specialized and michelin tires are the best UST offerings in my opinion. Not based on tread pattern but on durability. I've ripped holes in the sidewalls of just about every ust tire I've used except for those.

If you can find a tread pattern you like, I'd go that route. I've got a speccy rear and a maxxis highroller UST on the front of my xc bike now. The high roller will probably come off soon for another specialized.

You're in the bay area though........little different than tahoe so take that for what it's worth. You can get away with more options where you are.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You're in the bay area though........You can get away with more options where you are.
Yeah...my options are... FAB-ulous!!!

Odd, though...I killed the Michie sidewalls on my old red trail tires (forget what they were called...) in the first ride...they were paper-thin. The USTs are durable?? Those 2.5s look like a neat front tire, if they don't roll too slowly...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah...my options are... FAB-ulous!!!

Odd, though...I killed the Michie sidewalls on my old red trail tires (forget what they were called...) in the first ride...they were paper-thin. The USTs are durable?? Those 2.5s look like a neat front tire, if they don't roll too slowly...
You talking the DH 2.5s?

I've got one (some wierd proto tread that never made it to the US) on my hella freeride bike and it's working like a champ. One of the few that I've never had a problem with burping or tearing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Haven't done the UST thing, but I've been riding a 2.35 Nevegal rear and Special-ed Enduro Pro front for a little while, this combo seems to work pretty well for the varied conditions around here. I have yet to rip any sidewalls on either. In fact, even though the rubber is pretty soft the 2.35 has lasted so long it's actually worn out to the point that I need to replace it - first time in a while I've had a tire long enough for that to happen.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You talking the DH 2.5s?

I've got one (some wierd proto tread that never made it to the US) on my hella freeride bike and it's working like a champ. One of the few that I've never had a problem with burping or tearing.
Nah, I meant the 2.5 extreme trail tire or whatever they call that hideous red tire that turns pink after a few rolls in the dust...used to come in a 2.2, paper-thin black sidewalls on the standard tire.

Ed: Formerly the HotS. Currently known as the Mountain Xtreem. (puke)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I've been swearing by my Minion F 2.35 SRY in single-ply, wire bead. Set up ghetto tubeless on my mavic 519's (front and rear). I've only had them that way for about a month, but they haven't leaked a peep (air or sealant) and hook like a sticky maxxis tire should.

Light for climbing too.

Used to run nevegals, but in the single ply I'd have to run them rock hard to keep from flatting, and they don't work well with sealant/tubeless.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I don't own any but two good friends of mine have been pretty stoked on their hutchinsons too.
I had a set of Hutch Octopus, which worked really well in tahoe style dust, but the corner knobs were too tall and flexy for most nor-cal style hardpack.

Supposedly they've made them stiffer now, and have a few tread variations. Haven't tried them yet though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah if it says extreem on the sidewall and turns pink, you should definitely get that.

Check the specialized ones.

I don't own any but two good friends of mine have been pretty stoked on their hutchinsons too.
The Hutch Octopus wasn't a bad softer-conditions tire, kinda like a Comp 16, but I killed a sidewall right quick.

C'mon, pink is the new bead-blasted ano black. You know that.

Ed: Biscuit, I'm running UST, and the Nevys are great around 35 PSI. I did just "pinch-cut", to coin a term, a UST sidewall when I slammed the rear end into a squarish rock off a little hop...

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ed: Biscuit, I'm running UST, and the Nevys are great around 35 PSI. I did just "pinch-cut", to coin a term, a UST sidewall when I slammed the rear end into a squarish rock off a little hop...
Yea, they are super light but the sidewall "pinches" at the bead just enough so they dont hold air (I tried non-ust tires run as tubeless). Kenda just released the SWS sidewall shield that is supposed to significantly reduce this.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
larsen tt f/r for xc/trail
Larsen tt rear, Hansventure F for trail/freeride