Quantcast

Titanium Spindles

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
There's been some talk lately about the lack of a good lightweight crankset for folks with wider bottom brackets. I always thought that you could swap out a heavy chromo axle on a 3-piece crankset for a lighter Ti model, but it seems like no one has them.

So far, I've called:

BTI
QBP
FSA
Dans Comp
Go-Ride
Adrenaline Bikes

And no one has one or knows where one can be found. They all have 5 3/4" (140mm) Ti spindles for BMX bikes, but nothing for DH bikes. I left a message for Profile since they haven't picked up in the last three days.

Does anyone know where to find such a spindle? I haven't had any luck on eBay or any classifieds. I'm trying to figure out who actually produces the spindles (my guess is that FSA and Primo don't have titanium milling and lathe operations going on at HQ) but no one has been willing to tell me.

The guy I talked to at Adrenaline said that Profile probably makes their spindles in house, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

The FSA rep told me that their axles are made in Asia.

Any engineers or industry guys on here know where these things are really made?

Who wants one if they can be found?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
try Profile directly.

Also, maybe Knight Bike Co would be interested in producing them for the mtb industry. They are bmx-focused currently.

-r

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I have a brand new FSA 48 spline 5.5" ti axle just sitting around that I bought for my deity's. It turned out to be too short for the chainline I needed. PM me if you're interested.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I have a brand new FSA 48 spline 5.5" ti axle just sitting around that I bought for my deity's. It turned out to be too short for the chainline I needed. PM me if you're interested.
I wish I could say it would work for me, but you have the same problem I do. Where are the long spindles?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
from what i've heard profile doesnt make them anymore. they were the only company to do so. i use to have the 7" long one, also have a 6.33 custom cut one, and the 6" one for my hardtail