Quantcast

Titanium tubing?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just bought some. You won't find any with that heavy of a wall though.
UBI has a good selection but they have been out of 1/2" for awhile.

Do you spacers really need to be Ti. Alum can be found with those dims. Ti is REALLY hard to cut too.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
This is sorta off topic a bit but it deals with Ti and pricing so I thought I'd chime in.

There's a load of RC trucks around here. Some kids wanted to make a roll bar for their trucks that were cheaper than the local hobby store sold them for. They could do it with steel fine because steel is cheap. Then they wanted lighter (IE Titanium) and found out quick what just even "scraps" from the local metal wherehouse was expensive. Very expensive.

I'd just use Aluminum. It's easier to do everything with vs. Ti

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Even scrap Ti is very expensive. Last I checked, 1998, it was about $30 a lb. I would only guess it is at least twice that now. My old Ti XC bike is still worth a couple hundred bucks even if I folded it in two.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
in possible support of foolish reasons for using titanium, doesn't ti spark when scraped? or is that just magnesium? don't know why you'd want sparking washers......... but you never know. the roll cages would be kinda cool if they sparked though. it would add to the effects of a serious crash for the rc car.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
YETI187 said:
in possible support of foolish reasons for using titanium, doesn't ti spark when scraped? or is that just magnesium? don't know why you'd want sparking washers......... but you never know. the roll cages would be kinda cool if they sparked though. it would add to the effects of a serious crash for the rc car.

Yes it sparks. And it makes really cool white sparks. We used to make pegs out of Ti and plates for the bottom of pedals for people doing grinds. We charged a buttload but they thought it was worth it. :rolleyes: