Quantcast

Titus Switchblade/Santa Cruz Superlite

GoatPiper

Chimp
Feb 7, 2002
Boston, MA
Who rides either one? Who has opinions on them? What kinda goodies do you have on one or would you put on one? How do the two compare?

peace,
rg

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
It really depends on your intended use. I have been on a lot of FS trail bikes probably similar to what you are looking for. If you could tell me more what you are looking for in a bike and what it will be used for, I can give you pros and cons to both these bike and others.

GoatPiper

Chimp
Feb 7, 2002
Boston, MA
I'm new to the whole scenes and am bombing around on a beater...learning the skills and all. Twill be a bit before I can afford to go with the good stuff, but after reading a lot, these are the two frames I've been interested in. I'm into a bunch of stuff...I like trailriding, climbing just as much as descending...cross country. You name it. I'm in for the all around type bike.

rg

I ride a Titus Motolite, which is the bike the Switchblade replaced. The geometry is the same, only the Motolite is non-adjustable 4.5" travel. You can also get a 5.9"? long travel kit which I believe is available for the Switchblade as well. It also has a top tube and seperate seat mast, not the slick monocoque unit of the Switchblade.

What I have to say about my Motolite is, that it rides great. I climbs very well, and I feel no effects from pedaling or braking in the suspension. There are no rigidity problems, no flex in the rear end, etc. I believe the Switchblade is a tad lighter than the Motolite was, but it rides the same. It is a very good all around bike, It carves corners like a Christmas goose, and downhills like a dream. (I'm talking about DH'ing on trails, not DH courses, which it would be out of it's league on.) you can't go wrong with it. I've had some issues with the Fox shock, but my experience seems to be odd, and the shock has been improved much since I bought mine.

I rode a Superlight before I bought the Titus, and it was OK. I could feel the suspension rise up when you hammered on the middle ring, and it was worse in the granny. It was very light and rode nice, but the suspension movement wasn't my cup of tea. this was the way it's designed to feel, however, so it's not like they screwed it up or anything. I've met several people who own Superlights, and all of them are very happy. It's a little racier than the Titus, and it's got a 200lb weight limit. I weigh 190, so I decided not to push it.
Either of the bikes are great, and Titus' customer service is top notch.
Whichever you go with I hope you have a blast onit.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
I've had my switchblade for around 7 months and it has been awsome. I have not ridden a superlight but I think is more oriented for XC racing where I have done everything on my switchblade. I have used it in all configurations...4" fork with 3.5, 4.5, and 5.5 inches of travel in the rear and 5 inch fork with the long travel in the back (current configuration). I have/will use it for light downhill racing, XC racing and endurance racing and at the moment plan on doing all three in the longest travel mode (5.5") since it feels just as nimble (granted the BB is a little higher) and climbs 95% as well as when in 3.5" mode. If I could have only 1 bike this would be it. For comparison, I have a Fat Chance HT and a Quasi-DH, and previously owned a Psycle-Werks Wild Hare and Haro MX-3.

Attachments

first off, i am a lightweight fellow...only 165lbs.

that being said, i ride a superlight...but i have it set up as a trail/light freeride bike than pure XC. the bike climbs really well, i really don't notice any bobbing even when hammering. the 4 inches of travel is nice. you can really vary the compliance depending on how much you pump up the fox air shock. if you are getting this bike for FR/trail applications, when you order it, see if you can get it with a coil-over. i don't think you can go wrong with either the Switchblade or Superlight. I really like mine because i can descend pretty well on it AND rocket back up those hills to do it all over again. :D

i also like the customer service with santa cruz...A+ from the first time i called to order the bike.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by edoz
It's a little racier than the Titus, and it's got a 200lb weight limit. I weigh 190, so I decided not to push it.
This year they have upped the weight limit to 240lbs. Now just about everyone can ride one.

mtnbikej