Quantcast

TLD vs "THE" and any others inbetween

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
after breaking my Giro Remedy at snowshoe I figured it was time to move to a new helmet, in terms of comfort the giro dosent float my boat and I have never worn any other helmets. Considering I'm going to buy online I will need your opinion

What exactley is the difference between the "TLD" and "THE" they look like exactley the same? and for 2008 "THE" has some pretty good looking helmets and of course TLD does to but it is not alwlays about looks. And has any one had any expirence in the new rockgardn blacklight helmet?

Thanks,

Austin

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
This weekend for giggles I tried on a D2 from Troy Lee.......and I can see why so many people buy them. It's stupid light, has the best fit I've ever had in a helmet, and was just perfect. I wear the medium of the remedy or the L in the Mad Max (larger of the 2 sizes) and the M/L D2 fits so nice. Next helmet is going to be a Troy Lee.

The non-carbon one's are probably just as nice, with a little more weight behind them. No biggy though.

Nov 27, 2006
CA, San Jose
well, acording to "MBA" the TLD fits and is more comfortable than the THE...i think its just the companies rep that makes TLDs more expensive. Not saying that TLDs arent worth it, as im a proud owner of one. I found my self in a similar situation to you, the giro wasnt quite the right size, but the TLD felt perfect.

umm, as of specific differences im not sure as i havent tried on a THE

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Did you put the pads into the XXl to make it the XL? I run the xxl with the xl spacer pads and m/l cheek pads. Perfect fit.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
This weekend for giggles I tried on a D2 from Troy Lee.......and I can see why so many people buy them. It's stupid light, has the best fit I've ever had in a helmet, and was just perfect. I wear the medium of the remedy or the L in the Mad Max (larger of the 2 sizes) and the M/L D2 fits so nice. Next helmet is going to be a Troy Lee.

The non-carbon one's are probably just as nice, with a little more weight behind them. No biggy though.
I totally agree, the TLD has a perfect fit. I used a Dainese D-Raptor before, also a good helmet, but I would definitly go for a TLD, if money is not an issue.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Thanks everyone, I guess I will save up the pennies for the TLD
I'd try them both on and see which on feels better. There is no such thing as the perfect fitting helmet. Everyones heard is shaped different some will work better than others.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
check out the sixsixone helmets, lots of choices and like someone else said, you should try a bunch and see what fit best too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have the TLD and the THE carbon. They are the exact same helmet except one is carbon. They fit and look the same.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I tried them both, and before that i had a Deviant and all I have to say is the TLD D2 is the best Helmet I have ever owned lite and fits awesome.. You can get them at Beyond for pretty cheap.. I am a big Hot wheels fan since i was a kid I still buy them , so my Wife gave me this for my B-day.. I think it was $160 from Beyond

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I think the new 661 flight hex looks the bollocks:

But being an MX helmet I presume it's quite a bit bigger/heavier than a TLD. I just bought a TLD nice and cheap off ebay (hot wheels composite, £135 inc P&P - cheap for the UK).

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
But being an MX helmet I presume it's quite a bit bigger/heavier than a TLD.
Flight is pretty light; maybe not as much as a TLD but no noticable difference when I ride between that and my Full Bravo.

I chuckle at people getting hung up on miniscule weight differences. If your head won't fall off during a 40-minute moto, why on earth would it on a 5-minute DH run?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
On the other hand you never find yourself pedalling up hills on an MX bike, so maybe the extra weight/heat doesnt bother you so much...