Quantcast

tmx owners...

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
Need more...

that's all there is right now. the bike will be finished this thursday. cant wait to see how much this weighs. and were leaving friday for a DH race so i'll get some more pics then. cant wait to test it out. ive owned the frame for about 6 months now and have still never ridden it. prior to buying it, I have never seen one in person. I'm done looking at it, I wanna ride. Sucks cause I been banished to my XC bike this whole time.

joel

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
wow...6 months....thats ridiculous....i can barely stand 2 the two weeks its taking me to get in my parts....keep us posted when its all done...

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by joel hester
that's all there is right now. the bike will be finished this thursday. cant wait to see how much this weighs. and were leaving friday for a DH race so i'll get some more pics then. cant wait to test it out. ive owned the frame for about 6 months now and have still never ridden it. prior to buying it, I have never seen one in person. I'm done looking at it, I wanna ride. Sucks cause I been banished to my XC bike this whole time.

joel
Place your bets now.

I don't know the rest of the build, but I will say ~60lbs.

Be sure to tell us how it rides! After 6 months it will feel like absolute sex. Anyway, getting banished to an XC bike isn't all that bad, it does improve stanima and smoothness.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by joel hester
my super 8 was 54 pounds and I raced it with enough success that I was happy.

Weight of course slows you down, but if your happy with your results there is no reason for concern. I like heavy bikes myself, feel more secure, so I trust them more.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i weighed the TMX last night. 50.5 pounds.

To be added:
two Arrow tires 24x2.7, stans sealant, odi lock-ons, xo grip shift, X9 derailleir and non-drive side chain and i'm done. i wonder what that is gonna weight, 7 pounds ??

I am pleasantly suprised this it is not heavier.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by xy9ine
here's a status update:

old

dissasembed

i'm agonizing over how to finish the thing right now... i was going to go raw, but i'm contemplating chrome...
chrome front triangle?! someone please, intervene. talk some sense into xy9ine. all chrome is a terrible idea. when the top tube gets scratched you can't repaint. and in the event you get a dent it might chip!! think of the children!! (??)

what i mean to say is i would no longer have the only one.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
yeah dont get chrome you will hurt chromegodess' feelings, and its bad karma having a TMX looking like somebody else'.
somebody might knock you off your bike because he thinks you stole it from chromegodess.

na on a serious note, get something unique, for that unique frame!
but steer clear of anything that resembles to root beer and gold :D

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
u wanna own the master of pimpaholious TMX, get yer front triangle annodized purple, rear end and all parts annodized gold.
then annodize your rims purple and your fork gold, with gold spokes.
I will worship your TMX and sacrifice animals to it if you do that.

:D

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Originally posted by Shortbus
u wanna own the master of pimpaholious TMX, get yer front triangle annodized purple, rear end and all parts annodized gold.
then annodize your rims purple and your fork gold, with gold spokes.
I will worship your TMX and sacrifice animals to it if you do that.

:D
Shortbus - youre drinking too much Crown Royal or there is a slot on Caligula's race team. LOL

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
well, the plating shop i was talking to does GOLD as well...

hmmm.. i've seen a pic of the chrome tmx #1 @ the bmw world headquarters... is that yours, cg? i thought there were more out there... i didnt want paint, and the raw thing i think will get old AND i totally dig the chrome aesthetic - retro/custom. brings me back to the oldschool bmx days.

if its any consolation i live on the opposite side of the continent...

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by xy9ine
well, the plating shop i was talking to does GOLD as well...

hmmm.. i've seen a pic of the chrome tmx #1 @ the bmw world headquarters... is that yours, cg? i thought there were more out there... i didnt want paint, and the raw thing i think will get old AND i totally dig the chrome aesthetic - retro/custom. brings me back to the oldschool bmx days.

if its any consolation i live on the opposite side of the continent...
that's me. terry's motocross. ;) there are currently two all chrome race links, so maybe that's why you thought there were more ac-tmx's.

oh my... i'd rather share chromeness with you than urge you into gold. eee-gad!!! seriously, good luck with the decision. never an easy one to make. perhaps run the chroming process past doc at brooklyn in case there are special precautions to be taken that your plater might not be familiar with, given the somewhat rarity of that frame.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
Chromey, would you mind if i got a Race Link in all gold chrome? (CK Steelset style, maybe a little lighter)
Send me your request forms, complete with Photoshopped sampling of the finished product and I'll get back to you on that. :D

Aw, heck! The more the merrier!!

Anyone have a photo of Jay Barrow's RL?! He's got a custom paint job that brings tears to my eyes it is so beautiful. Not to be missed. I'll snap a shot next time I see him and throw it up in here. Droolmania.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
I was thinking Gold Chrome, anodized bits to the same colour or bronze. With black components. Oh yeh.... :drool:

BTW has anyone seen the griffiti decals yet? They're sick!

P.s What is Jay's paintjob (roughly)?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
ooooh, black chrome sounds dope. any sample pics?

jay's bike will be served no justice from the following description:
gold flames from the head tube burning til about mid tt and dt into a glittery sparkly rich deep green that has more bling than the red carpet on oscar night. i'm gonna get him a big purple feather to stick in his helmet and start calling him huggy bear.

edit: i think ged might have come up with those grafitti decals. lucky buggers, send some over here, eh?

speaking of C3PO....interbike 2001:

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by chromegoddess
ooooh, black chrome sounds dope. any sample pics?

jay's bike will be served no justice from the following description:
gold flames from the head tube burning til about mid tt and dt into a glittery sparkly rich deep green that has more bling than the red carpet on oscar night. i'm gonna get him a big purple feather to stick in his helmet and start calling him huggy bear.

edit: i think ged might have come up with those grafitti decals. lucky buggers, send some over here, eh?

speaking of C3PO....interbike 2001:
If you're serious about the decals PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I'd like to see pics of that job, sounds real sweet. Mine will out pimp his. New idea; Black chrome with gold anodized bits and peices. Mmm

C3PO + Brooklyn = Pimp.

stussy2k

Chimp
Apr 14, 2004
So nice to see a bunch of fellow TMX owners :D Sadly I cracked the replacement chain guard made of some heavy duty plastic... not even close looking like the original.

Well I know its much to ask but could anyone please draw the contours of the guard on paper for me, then I could get it cut and bent/pressed in some burly material and tart up my TMX bitch even more :devil:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
"tart up my bitch"... intriguing. ;)

What if we could get you another chain guard instead of a drawing?

Any photos of your rig you'd like to share with the class?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
yeah, post a few pics of your TMXs :)

jh

I think that chain guide started out as some kind of rectangular/square plactic tubing that was cut and shaped to guide the chain and fit the tabs that are welded on the swingarm.

stussy2k

Chimp
Apr 14, 2004
Hehehe :sneaky: Retain it in your pants...

She's all standard flaky metallic black but the paint's is chipping off :'( Totally wetting my self about the gold anod. by Hester. Pimp style - mine is not even close to any *bling*bling*. ..

but hey I'll post some this weekend.. :thumb:

but hey (again? :p ) u say bout another guard? I just thought it would be true BMW style to get one made in metal and give it a personal touch, not some cr*ppy bent rough cut plastic looking like it came out a a squirrels rectum :p Know whadda mean?

stussy2k

Chimp
Apr 14, 2004
oh yeah kinda intimidated bout the style you keep your rides in... dunno if really dare putting on my pics.. :monkey: youll probably want to stone me when you see the romic on :dead:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
no no! don't be intimidated to post your bike because of the pimp-a-thon going on in here. we're just a bunch of kooks. or, i am, shouldn't speak for the lot of you. anyway any romic bashing will likely be surrounded by a bunch of drooling so it's all good.

if the squirrels in your area are crapping plastic chain guards it shouldn't be a problem if they break all the time, plenty more where that came from. ;) if metal was the best material for those things, i think bklyn would have made them metal. the choice is yours though.

here's a pic of james' big link to help you feel okay about being shy on bling. he is religeously against cleaning it. probably has crusty mud on there from four years ago!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
so... being the proud owner of a tmx AND a racelink, how would you characterize the performance/handling/fit differences? i lust after the rl; the tmx is a stepping stone of sorts...

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
My biglink is awsome it is so stable and plush.
My Tmx I just have one ride on, It seems not as plush
The race link is much light than both and is plush like the biglink and light. I love all of them. I usually ride the race like the most