Quantcast

to all you weight weenies

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Trek is really stepping it up with these new Session and Remedy bikes. I actually like them much more than a lot of boutique brands now.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nah, it's bull****, unless that frame weighs like <8lb including shock/spring. They need to try another scale.

My DHi is in at 35.6 at the moment, and almost every component on that bike is heavier than what I'm running.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
At least it looks a lot cleaner than this one claimed weight 37lbs

Looking at the specs to reach 37 the frame must be very light. I am confused.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
They should post a pictures of just the frame on the weight then all the guess work would be over.
That makes just too much sense. Better to use a slightly shady complete build.

And while I'm at it, why do people even believe scale pics at all? When you're going for the lightest anything what's to stop someone from hitting the tare button with a little weight on the scale to lighten up the weight pics?

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
technically taking a dump costs you money, considering you have to eat in order to do so...inless you steal food from babies!! get it right =P

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Interesting. But I dunno, looks fishy.

Its possible. Jut not with those parts unless the frame is that light.

Has the blog post been taken down?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
at what point does a bike like this stop being a DH bike? I mean the lack of reasonably strong components on that bike probably prevents it from being seriously ridden downhill? amirite? that looks like an awesome trailbike though...maybe I'll do that.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
at what point does a bike like this stop being a DH bike? I mean the lack of reasonably strong components on that bike probably prevents it from being seriously ridden downhill? amirite? that looks like an awesome trailbike though...maybe I'll do that.
There are bikes in the 40lb thread that are a lot farther along to being a trail (or straight-up XC) bike than this Trek.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Most of the parts on that bike seem pretty durable for dh.

Decent brakes? check
DH worthy suspension? Check
Cranks that hold up to most humans? check
DH Stem and bars? Check

Only stuff that could possibly be in danger on a real dh run would be the tires and tubes. I'm reserving judgement on the wheels because I don't know much about them

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Most of the parts on that bike seem pretty durable for dh.

Decent brakes? check
DH worthy suspension? Check
Cranks that hold up to most humans? check
DH Stem and bars? Check

Only stuff that could possibly be in danger on a real dh run would be the tires and tubes. I'm reserving judgement on the wheels because I don't know much about them
I agree. That bike looks very DH-worthy to me. Change the tyres and he's gold. All the remaining components are purely personal. It does seem a wee bit light however.

I guess it comes down to trust with the on-scales photos. If you want to decalibrate the scales or remove pedals etc, then thats your call.