Quantcast

to buy or not to buy

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
......That is the question.

Okay. I am interested in buy a 1984 ( or 85 ) toyota Xtra cab 4WD from a friend of my parents. his starting price is 1500 bucks. I figure this is an ok deal. Truck is in good shape, paint it a little faded, no body damage, and the interior is a little worn. Only thing it needs is a new set of tires (which I'm getting used)

So is this a good deal?

*KBB has this rated at $2100 with all the extras it has in Fair condition*

Pics:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Oh yea.......200,000 and the clutch was replaced at 100,000

Transmision (sp? I'm retarded today) was rebuilt at 100k and the engine was overhauled at 115K and everything was still in good shape. He sill has the paperwork for everything done do it, and all the stuff that hangs off of the front of the engine has been replaced, except for the power steering pump

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Over the weekend I bought a 1985 Toyota van with 160,000 on it. I'm just gonna fix it up for a weekend bike hauler and it doesn't matter if Gatorade, burritos, etc. gets spilled everywhere. Good times!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Well, look at it this way. The tranny was rebuilt at 100,000 miles. Now it is at 200,000 miles. Sound familiar? And there IS body damage, check the front right quarter panel, as seen in the 1st pic. Try to get it for $1000.00

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Get a test ride if you can, to listen for strange noises and so you can look over everything. Definitey see if he'll go down to 1k. Cause if you get it for $1500 and then you find out later you'll need to rebuild the engine again, replace clutch, transmission parts, wheel bearings, brake pads, suspension, etc...you might end up spending the same amount you bought the truck for to repair it. Cause the truck is 20 years old.

*personally, I'd see if he'd go into the 700's, 800's

Gregg

Chimp
May 24, 2005
Morgantown, WV
200,000 miles and those engines are just getting broken in. Is it a 22r (carb) or 22re (EFI)? EFI was first offered in 1985. 1985 Toyota trucks are highly desirable, the first year of fuel injection and the last year of the solid front axle. They are great trucks that will run forever. They're only downsides are rust, which that one seems ok, but check the inner frame rails. And they are slightly underpowered, but bearable.

I have a 1985 toyota 4runner (almost identicle to the the trucks). It has a 175,000 miles and I did a top end rebuild last year. The timing chain was about to let go. They have plastic guides that wear out and let the chain loosen up. I replaced it with a kit with metal backed guides, so no worries. I also replaced my clutch (stock) around the same time. You can get an OEM clutch for $100 and they aren't that hard to replace.

I say buy it, price sounds good. Very good deal if it is a rust free 1985. :cool:

I don't see any body damage on the right front fender, just the normal body lines.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Gregg said:
200,000 miles and those engines are just getting broken in. Is it a 22r (carb) or 22re (EFI)? EFI was first offered in 1985. 1985 Toyota trucks are highly desirable, the first year of fuel injection and the last year of the solid front axle. They are great trucks that will run forever. They're only downsides are rust, which that one seems ok, but check the inner frame rails. And they are slightly underpowered, but bearable.

I have a 1985 toyota 4runner (almost identicle to the the trucks). It has a 175,000 miles and I did a top end rebuild last year. The timing chain was about to let go. They have plastic guides that wear out and let the chain loosen up. I replaced it with a kit with metal backed guides, so no worries. I also replaced my clutch (stock) around the same time. You can get an OEM clutch for $100 and they aren't that hard to replace.

I say buy it, price sounds good. Very good deal if it is a rust free 1985. :cool:

I don't see any body damage on the right front fender, just the normal body lines.

It's the carb version, and the timing chain has been replaced with a non plastic version

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Buy it. $1500 isn't half bad for a Yota. The 22r and re's can go forever. I don't know where you are, but smog is usually the responsibility of the seller, but assuming everything is in decent order, it shouldn't be a problem. Get it. Beaters are always fun.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
amateur said:
Beaters are always fun.

That's the plan. I have a old 1970 2WD chevy C-10 pickup that's my dad's, but it doesn't do so hot offroad and if i broke it or dented it he would **** a brick.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ghettogt76 said:
Nice rig man, now it's time for chevies in back, rears up front, hysteer, and dual transfer cases with 35's :D.

That's redneck talk right there....

I think I'ma going to slam it, Throw some dayton 20's on there and Fill the bed with speakers and tv screens. Yay!

:oink:

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
chicodude01 said:

I think I'ma going to slam it, Throw some dayton 20's on there and Fill the bed with speakers and tv screens. Yay!

nonononon

you forgot air bags

and

dayton 10's

those dangly balls in the cab

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
chicodude01 said:
I will post pics of my truck once it is done :D

Anyway, the 22R is a GREAT engine. Super easy to work on, tough, reliable, parts are cheap and the list goes on. I love workin' on 'em. I've got 232k on my 22RE, and before that I had a 22RE that has like 212k on it. They're tough suckers.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
ghettogt76 said:
I will post pics of my truck once it is done :D

Anyway, the 22R is a GREAT engine. Super easy to work on, tough, reliable, parts are cheap and the list goes on. I love workin' on 'em. I've got 232k on my 22RE, and before that I had a 22RE that has like 212k on it. They're tough suckers.

Good. My truck breaks, I'll bring it down to you and you can fix it.....

:D

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
chicodude01 said:

you can always put it in for PIMP MY RIDE