Quantcast

To DEEMAX or TO CHASE HT?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
So im in a pretty big jam. I know this could be considered an easy question. Full bike vs wheel set BUY my 219s are pretty jacked up I mean there runable with some seirous truing but im thinkin i can take the 321(219) off the chase and run them when I need to? Should I wait on the Deemax and get a chase for summer park riding and DJ's or go ahead and go for the dee max wheels?

thanks

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
YA imo deemax's are useless so over priced aslo.Coud build a way sweeter wheelset for way cheaper!And then just convert it to tubless!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I work at a shop an im only 15 135ibs. I need a wheelset that is strong but still freakin light. I can get deemax for cheaper then building a seperate wheel and there much lighter then anything I can build that is as strong. The chase isnt much more then the deemax my price so thats why im considering the two. I want my DH bike to be light so i can flick it around and stuff. Right now my gemini is at about 37-38ibs but with deemax i think i can get it to 36-37ibs. Everypound counts in my eyes but i think im getting the chase.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Coud you please post specs of your bike 38 pounds is supa light im very curious wat your riding sounds very sweet as well!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Gemini 900 2003
fork- 04 sherman slider+
rear shock- 5th element 5 way
rear mech- XTR rapidrise
Wheels- mavic 219s cannondale hubs
stem- 4 bolt road stem
cranks- truvativ firex cranks
brakes- hayes hfx9
shifter- XTR
grips-intense lock ons
seat and post- ritchey and WTB laser V
guide- MRP WC 2
front ring- evil 38 tooth
cassette- Ultegra 12-27
bars- Funn Full on DH bar
pedals- Azonic Xtensions or Time Z's
tires- 2.5 highroller rear super tacky, 2.7 minion 60a

those are the specs but i think i can get it even lighter with some XTR cranks and dee max wheels!

working at a shop is thie shiznit!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
my hubs right now are stock cannondale hubs that are pretty crappy they sqawak at me quite often. I might consider a new set of rims there might be some d321 in the shop but I dono if i want that much beef on my bike. The lightest ive calculated I cant build up with EX823 and CK hubs is like 1200-1300 grams per wheel thats 200 more then dee-max. I dont mean to be a weight weenie but im not a big kid and heavy bikes are not my thing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by biker3
my hubs right now are stock cannondale hubs that are pretty crappy they sqawak at me quite often. I might consider a new set of rims there might be some d321 in the shop but I dono if i want that much beef on my bike. The lightest ive calculated I cant build up with EX823 and CK hubs is like 1200-1300 grams per wheel thats 200 more then dee-max. I dont mean to be a weight weenie but im not a big kid and heavy bikes are not my thing.
You are going WAY overboard. I weigh 145 lbs. Get a grip man. 1 - you will not notice 200 grams.
2- 823s actually weigh the same or more then a 521 after you add the inserts and longer nipples.

just build a decent wheelset that will last, and save a ton of cash.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like you already made up your mind, go ahead and get the deemax even though no one here seems to agree. You asked for our advice, but it's just advice, you don't have to take it.

IMHO, two bikes, one with slightly heavier than possible (but durable and easy to maintain) wheels, is better than one bike with light but overpriced (and not that strong or easy to maintain) wheels, regardless of how much you weigh. My advice? Lace up some decent rims on your existing hubs, get the chase, and start saving for a set of race wheels for your gemini, whether it's deemax or whatever. That way you'll end up with two bikes and an extra set of wheels so you have spares for both.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd get the chase and use the wheelset off it for both bikes if you need different wheels for your gemini. I'm suprised to hear that you can get a DeeMax wheelset for less than what a set of 521 hoops and a couple of hope hubs would cost. If you're not a mavic freak you could do build a set of sun singletracks or rhynolite XL's for a little less cash.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
dude, im a uber weight weenie (ask transcend) and even i think there is no sense going with Deemax. there is a certain limit you have to draw for yourself in terms of weight loss and actual real world common sense. the reason why deemax is lighter is becuase they use LESS SPOKES on the identical rim to the 823. less spokes on a rim that is notorious for breaking? wait a second...:confused:

if you want good wheels, get the kings, or hadleys, get the 521 in 32, get alloy nipples and competition spokes. that will be a freaking light wheel set that can take abuse.

~SGD

biker3

Turbo Monkey
transcend u didnt have to go off on me man sheesh. I know weve had some issues in previous times but I was just asking an honest questions. I guess I am overboard and Ill build some 521 I just didn't know the extent of the crappiness of the 823. Ill probably get the chase and build some 521 around gold hadleys or gold kings just for a little bling factor. Maybe even add some gold nipples.

dirtdevil

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Coto de Caza
If your looking to buy a new set of wheels go with the trail pimps. I have been destroying wheels for a while but then I started running Atomlab trail pimps and it took care of the problem.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Jesse you friggin roadie. ;) You and your "every pound counts" Quit buying all that sweet stuff man, you're making me jealous. You heard any more about headed up this way?

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by Transcend
You are going WAY overboard. I weigh 145 lbs. Get a grip man. 1 - you will not notice 200 grams.
2- 823s actually weigh the same or more then a 521 after you add the inserts and longer nipples.

just build a decent wheelset that will last, and save a ton of cash.
Transend i'm proud of you i never thought you would say that! i still dont think 1 psi difference in a tire will matter!:rolleyes:

ahhh.....

get the HT man, it will help you riding (and more fun) way more then some new wheels. oh ya, how many hours do you work? gawd thats one expencive rig (assuming you pay for it your self... right:think: )

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
transcend u didnt have to go off on me man sheesh. I know weve had some issues in previous times but I was just asking an honest questions. I guess I am overboard and Ill build some 521 I just didn't know the extent of the crappiness of the 823. Ill probably get the chase and build some 521 around gold hadleys or gold kings just for a little bling factor. Maybe even add some gold nipples.
I recommend you use brass nipples. Your wheel will be stronger and it will last much longer. With any 521 or 321 at your weight those wheels will last for quite a few years if you take care of them. I remember when I was younger and I built up a set of XTR hubs on 517 with aluminium nipples and everything...they lasted a good 3 months because I also dirt jumped with them and raced BMX on my mtb. I now run Hadley's on 521's for both my dh and slalom rig and swear by them. They weight is not that much of an issue, I promise you. Build a solid wheel and you won't regret it.