Quantcast

To get collar bone plated or not?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FWIW, I had a broken collar bone and shoulder blade in 2 places. No plates were installed since I was in an induced coma at the time. My right shoulder is noticeably lower than my left now and I have constant shoulder and neck pain. In retrospect I kind of wish someone had looked into plating my collar bone/shoulder, I can't help but wonder if it would have made a difference for me.
given the accident and the fact you were clinically dead for a few minutes, you shouldn't be complaining

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
given the accident and the fact you were clinically dead for a few minutes, you shouldn't be complaining
Perhaps. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, on a Macro level I'm fairly stoked about the overall outcome. I'm just saying, a caddy-wumpus shoulder is to be avoided if you can help it. Sounds like OP is in a position to do so.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Perhaps. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong, on a Macro level I'm fairly stoked about the overall outcome. I'm just saying, a caddy-wumpus shoulder is to be avoided if you can help it. Sounds like OP is in a position to do so.
How long were you in the hospital since the injury? The doctors gave me a 7 day window since I've broken my bone to decide. Also from what I see unless something terrible happens during the surgery and you have much smaller problems with surgery. Some fantom pains, your hair will get weaker temporarly/some will fall out if they are weaker already but can be countered with the right medication. Much better than some of the horror stories you hear with people who didn't go with a surgery and had problems even 2 years after their crashes. Imo the main risk is financial if you trust your surgeon.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm going to get plated in ten minutes. Sick of the clicking etc every time I fart cough or sneeze, it'll take ages for me to heal with two floating breaks, but I hate sitting still. For others no plate might be good.
Hope it's the right decision. 40th birthday today too. Gettin loose on morphine.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm going to get plated in ten minutes. Sick of the clicking etc every time I fart cough or sneeze, it'll take ages for me to heal with two floating breaks, but I hate sitting still. For others no plate might be good.
Hope it's the right decision. 40th birthday today too. Gettin loose on morphine.
Good luck. If all is well you should be back to regular (though not riding condition) in a few days. Post results after you get better.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Your forgetting scapular( shoulder blade) it'll take well over a month to heal dang it. This Plating I'm hoping will take weeks of the scapular healing time.
At hospital waiting to go in now. Yay, not.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Your forgetting scapular( shoulder blade) it'll take well over a month to heal dang it. This Plating I'm hoping will take weeks of the scapular healing time.
At hospital waiting to go in now. Yay, not.
Still faster than without it. And by regular I mean no constant pain and annoying movement. I wasn't riding my bike for at least a month but I was able to work and I took off my painkillers after 1 day. Still have enough Codeine around my house to kill an elephant ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still faster than without it. And by regular I mean no constant pain and annoying movement. I wasn't riding my bike for at least a month but I was able to work and I took off my painkillers after 1 day. Still have enough Codeine around my house to kill an elephant ;)
you're missing the point. even if it heals quicker his arm will still be immobilized to the the scapula break.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
you're missing the point. even if it heals quicker his arm will still be immobilized to the the scapula break.
I'm not missing anything. I remember my broken collar bone. Even with an imobilised arm it was super annoying before the surgery. After surgery it was much more livable. I understand it's not his only injury and by work I don't mean carry huge logs I mean work as most of us do in front of a pc.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Cracked scapular will stop mE using that arm for a month, plated collar bone will help scapular stay in pissition and mend but. I don't do pain killers. Havnt had any yet. Rather feel if anythings messed up. I'll be Pressing the pethadine button but, more for sh!ts n giggles than pain but.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Well I'm plated. Ride report tomorrow, felt good in the car park. Bit less low speed damping than the free floater had, and doesn't look flexy. But feels stiffer, and it's rootbeer colored now.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Cracked scapular will stop mE using that arm for a month, plated collar bone will help scapular stay in pissition and mend but. I don't do pain killers. Havnt had any yet. Rather feel if anythings messed up. I'll be Pressing the pethadine button but, more for sh!ts n giggles than pain but.
I wasn't allowed to use my arm for 2 or 3 weeks also. Hospital pain killers make you like strange thing. I think every country has a pretend it's real courtroom show. For some reason I found the female judge very attractive (hint. she never is).

As for painkillers - I also try to avoid them but my 1st or 2nd day after surgery it was hell. Quite surprising when a day after that you feel no pain and quite annoying when you have a high tolerance for painkillers. Though looking at how angry at kids you got at pinkbike they may calm you down ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Though looking at how selflessly you educate misguided kids at pinkbike painkillers may lobotomize you like their parents ;)
Hey words fail me, rumble through the rough ugly non sugar coated exterior of my posts, and you'll see good intentions. Here to help, not stoke egos. There's enough superficial crap on the web.
My flame suit is my painkillers, and misfortune, you can't kick me while I'm down.:wacko:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hey words fail me, rumble through the rough ugly non sugar coated exterior of my posts, and you'll see good intentions. Here to help, not stoke egos. There's enough superficial crap on the web.
My flame suit is my painkillers, and misfortune, you can't kick me while I'm down.:wacko:
Naah, I get it. I get on a rant there from time to time too. Just found it funny you raise your blood pressure in the middle of all this by reading pinkbike comments ;)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How long were you in the hospital since the injury? The doctors gave me a 7 day window since I've broken my bone to decide. Also from what I see unless something terrible happens during the surgery and you have much smaller problems with surgery. Some fantom pains, your hair will get weaker temporarly/some will fall out if they are weaker already but can be countered with the right medication. Much better than some of the horror stories you hear with people who didn't go with a surgery and had problems even 2 years after their crashes. Imo the main risk is financial if you trust your surgeon.
I was in the hospital 7 weeks. I spent the first 3 weeks in an induced coma so I only have secondary information on the thought process of others at the time. Some how the decision was reached not to do anything with my shoulder and/or collar bone while at the exact same time someone drove 18 inches of titanium down the center of my right femur. Of all of my post accident "issues", my shoulder issues/neck pain are by far the worst. That of course is not to say that plating my collar would have corrected everything, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have made anything worse.

To the OP, Happy Birthday and good luck healing up! Feel free to send me any unused oxycodone. :drool:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Feels heaps better plated. Well heaps more painfull but much more secure. I guess it's like trying to weld up a seat stay and a chainstay at the same time as opposed to one only. I'm expecting far greater success like this. providing collar bone is done well.
Thanks for everyones help.
I just got a script for tarsian and endone. Not taking anything so far. Much sharper pain today.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some how the decision was reached not to do anything with my shoulder and/or collar bone while at the exact same time someone drove 18 inches of titanium down the center of my right femur.
actually that's not surprising. that kind of femur operation is surprisingly risky, so i doubt they wanted to further complicate things by opening you up elsewhere.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I considered that. Last time I used it when stitches popped out, it eventually tore my skin off. and it's a bit hard to get right in position for perfect shoulder alignment. If I knew someone with a clue, I'd get them to tape my shoulder blade for sure, got to be better than a sling that holds my arm forward and I guess displaces shoulder blade. Probably use bandaid type tape but:thumb:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
i had a plate put in, it hasnt failed and got me healed up and on the bike pretty fast. i have no regrets doing it. i hope the metal doesnt have to be removed down the road.
i couldnt read the whole thread, no offense the gang here is great but not a lot of ortho docs are dh riders.

good luck and if you are getting surg you better get on it, mine was 4 days after the wreck, i cant imagine being able to put things off once it starts healing.