Quantcast

To manitou or not to manitou

Sep 17, 2006
I have a brutally abused 2002 vanilla rc that has crapped out long ago and up to now I haven't had the money to replace it (both the adjustment knobs snapped off, all the oil has been long gone, the nitrogen tank is empty, and the spacers/reducers are about as oval as a football field).

My question is what shock should I shoot for? I've been consiedering buying a new swinger 6-way from santa cruz for $100 or maybe even a 5th element (however they only come in 8.75-2.75). I would rather get a 9.5-3.0 DHX 5.0 or a roco but I'm not sure the extra cost, even buying used, justifies the difference between them and the 6-way. I only have $240 and I'll need new spacers to come with the shock. I plan to put it on my 2002 Big Hit comp with the big link setup. I'm open to any other shock ideas as well as long as they fall in my price range. Thanks for your time.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
from experience, ive seen my friend put a 9.5x3 5th on his 2002 bighit dh, and it was huge, go for the swinger from santa cruz or a dhx, but get the smaller size, the 9.5 jacks the bb up to ****

Sep 17, 2006
Actually what I should be asking is how well will the 5th or swinger perform and stand up to abuse compared to a roco or dhx. I want something I'll feel comfortable racing, jumping, and hucking on. I just replaced my 02 monster t with an 05 888rc and now I'm hoping I can find a shock fairly cheap that'll match the performance of the 888.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
dont go for te 5th, the've gone out of business, and wont be there if you need them for anything, obviously the best choice is a roco or dhx, but a swinger is still a very worthy choice, it's all up to you, and the deal you get on the shock, but definetly stick woth the stock shock size, or even smaller, not bigger

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
dont go for te 5th, the've gone out of business, and wont be there if you need them for anything, obviously the best choice is a roco or dhx, but a swinger is still a very worthy choice, it's all up to you, and the deal you get on the shock, but definetly stick woth the stock shock size, or even smaller, not bigger
thats incorrect. progressive has stopped making the 5th but they most certainly havent gone out of business. im sure they will still service the shocks too

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm going to go with dropmachine on this one, try to get the 4way. The 6ways feel really dead (especially the newer ones, my friend runs an 06 in a bighit), and not just on the compression stroke, i've found they rebound overly slow as well - even with the adjuster all the way out.

I ran a 4way for a while in my bighit and it worked quite well. I run a DHX5 now and prefer it, but i'd take the 4way over a 6way or 5th anyday.

Also, don't run larger than an 8.75x2.75 shock, as it'll just ruin the nice geometry the bighit has stock. A longer shock will raise the BB and steepen the head angle drastically - which is the complete opposite of what you want. Some racers will even go to an 8.5x2.5 for 7.3" travel, so that the bike can sit lower and slacker. 8.75x2.75 is fine though, just don't go bigger... also make sure it fits the biglink/frame before you buy it, the newer shocks *might* be a tight fit.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I bought a swinger 6-way from Santa Cruz, and have noticed no real difference performance-wise from other swingers. I did however buy it for a gaint faith, which has sorta the same setup as a v-10 as far as leverage ratios and how much sag you need to run. I've been told by friends that my 6-way feels dead, but to me it feels the same as the 4-way I had on it before.

As for the abuse department, I'm 210 lbs w/ gear on and I ride like a hack.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
A longer shock will raise the BB and slacken the head angle drastically
i think you mean steepen the HT, right?

Also, what are the differences between the 4 way and 6 way? I thought it was just adjustments. Could you adjust it to feel more lively?

That being said, most people hate SPV shocks and the market is moving back towards standard damping...I'd see if you can make a used DHX happen, or possibly even have your Fox pushed? Maybe you can pick up a used avy conversion for cheap? Just a suggestion, good luck.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
i think you mean steepen the HT, right?

Also, what are the differences between the 4 way and 6 way? I thought it was just adjustments. Could you adjust it to feel more lively?

That being said, most people hate SPV shocks and the market is moving back towards standard damping...I'd see if you can make a used DHX happen, or possibly even have your Fox pushed? Maybe you can pick up a used avy conversion for cheap? Just a suggestion, good luck.
Oopsies, yep I meant steepen sorry. Bad alcohol.

The difference between the 4way and 6way is theoretically just the LSC and HSC adjuster. I think the stickiness issue is actually something that happened after the 04 swinger lineup rather than being specific to the 6way. I know my friend's 05 6way has this issue, as well as another friend's 06 6way (with minimum pressure and ALL adjustments wound out!). I haven't tried any recent model 4way's to compare, but my 04 4way had no such issues and I was reasonably happy with it for the time I owned it.

My guess is that the SPV valve was changed a little after 04 or something along those lines, and it obviously wasn't for the better.

IMO the bighit is a frame that does benefit from a platform (one that works well rather than the horrible ones I mentioned previously) or a large degree of LS compression damping - so i'd shy away from a roco, but the DHX works sweet. An RC with propedal upgrade (or appropriate push valving) would probably do the trick too.