Quantcast

to paint or not to paint, that is the question i ask of monkey's

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
i am thinking about painting the front of my frame red and then red stripes in the middle and leaving the white on the back, but since ive cleaned it up and removed all the stickers i think i like it better. i have no clue what i should do, please help

Attachments

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Sounds like a terrible idea, especially with a can of spray paint.

It's your bike, do whatever the hell you want.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
go for it, its just paint you can always spray over
GO for it. If you're gonna rattle can it, take the time to sand it down a lot. Down to the metal is ideal, but if you don't have the patience just make sure its rough enough that the paint will stick.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
You need to get real and do it the right way if you are going to paint your bike. Too bad you don't live in NJ. I know a kid who runs a powder coating business for bmx bikes. He does a good job.
well im planning on powdercoating it in spring, i have a guy who has done a bunch of stuff for my motorcycle so thats the plan, was just thinking about doing it in the mean time

I wouldn't rattle can a frame, it looks good white and stickerless.
i love how it looks since ive takin the stickers off, i put it all back together, maybe if i get bored again ill take it apart and paint it up, maybe like a drip paint job

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
rattlecan isn't bad if done right, just gotta be patient Screw sandpaper just get paint stripper if you need to get it down to metal.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm with the paint crew. Since it's already white, you really wouldn't have to do much to prep work to it except sand it down a little. Painting bikes is fun.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Spray paint chips so easy. Unless you do multiple coats and clear, then you put 4 hours in a temporary paint job. But it's a fun project if you just want to kill some time.

Tiresnag

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
BRONX, NY
I did a matte black spray job on my frame. sanded it down hardcore, cleaned it really well, 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of rust-oleum high performance enamel. it came out great and still looks good after 8 months.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I would say not to paint it, it looks pretty clean like that!

if you decide to paint it, make sure you use Denatured alcohol (cheap and readily available) or another suitable paint prep, or no matter how much you sand the paint wont stick.