Quantcast

to part out, or not to part out?

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
so, what do ya think? would I get more scrilla out of it whole or in pieces?

highlights:
halo sas wheels
grimeca system 12 brakes
old raceface cranks
Giant AC1 frame (2002 or 2003?)
Avy dhs rear shock
manitou sherman fork
A giant ac specific chain guide (actually pretty hard to find)

-thanks monkeys

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Most of those parts are going to put people off though. I would save the headache and sell the whole thing honestly.

I'd buy your shock, but of course it's an oddball size... Thanks again Giant.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
Most of those parts are going to put people off though. I would save the headache and sell the whole thing honestly.

I'd buy your shock, but of course it's an oddball size... Thanks again Giant.
It's actually not too wierd of a size, I forced a 8.00" shock into the frame, which is is more like 7.5" eye to eye.....8" is pretty common isnt it?

yeah, i figured it was all pretty obscure parts, so it'd be hard to sell seperately....I bet the rear shock is thing thats worth most on the whole bike! haha :clue:

any clue on what to ask for the bike? think a grand is way too much?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I'd wait for a fetish-sort of Giant fan, I'm sure they exist. the cats in Australia seem stoked on Giants whenever I read threads at Farkin, maybe you should post it up down there.

Generally I've done better parting out a bike but that bike has a lot of older parts that look like they're from the freeride/tank era. Maybe try selling it to a hucker?

SeatPost

Chimp
May 17, 2009
Philly, sort of
You would have easier time selling it whole. Nothing on the bike is really standing out as next level. slowitdown said it best, some one with wood for giant will pick up it.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
sell the whole thing on CL for $700 and consider yourself lucky if you get that. I had the same bike, its not a great riding frame and yes you do have the chain guide (as did I) and with a lot better build I got $600 for mine. Oh no you do have a better shock :)

But yah don't spend to much time on it just move on. What is the frame size I might even know someone in Seattle looking for one

Those brake pods are waiting to be ripped from the bars and with Manitou not having any type of customer service the Sherman should be replaced ASAP. Friends don't let friends ride Manipooo (and yes I have had time on a newer version of that fork and still wanted to puke)

Last edited:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Oh and your chain is routed wrong. Its supposed to go OVER the bottom roller not under :thumbup:

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
When I posted, it was because I looked on Avalanches fit chart. They list it as 7.5 X 2.25... Not too common.
this one actually isnt the shock they recommend for a giant ac....its a 8.0 X 2.5 if I remember right....I just sent it to them to make it work for the bike....

What is the frame size I might even know someone in Seattle looking for one
Its a large frame....still in great shape....I'm 6' 1" and its just a whisker on the small side for me....shoot me a pm if you're interested (am i allowed to solicit like this? or is a mod gonna come slap me on the wrist? :biggrin:)