Quantcast

to Stans or not to Stans

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
that is the question? well im tired of flating my rear tire and i dont want to add a 10# DH tube so i was thinking about using the Stans No-tubes freeride/DH set. is this product worth doing or should i just stick a thicker tube in the rear shut-up and just ride?

Jun 7, 2006
I've been tubless on my big bikes for the past year. I've done a lot of experimenting, so far it's working well.

What tires are you running right now?
DH casing?

For DH I'd recommend Maxxis Minion/Highroller 2.5
For FR the Maxxis Advantage 2.4 (non-UST) seem to work well and are a lot lighter than a full on DH casing.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
my only concern is that im at the 280# mark and was wondering how the tire will stay attached to the rim without the tube.
Same way they do with a tube - the tire bead.

If you run a reasonable pressure, your weight isn't an issue. Agressive riding puts way more than 280# of force on a tire through turns and rocks. The dirt aught to give before the tire does, otherwise your not running enough psi.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the less $$ way to go tubeless is to use 20in tubes, cut around the outside(for a rim strip), then buy a quart of stan's sealant. you can use schrader or presta this way. the cut tube will stick out between the tire and rim(cut excess). run 5-10psi more than with tubes.

I think the ghetto tubeless is better than stan's because there is more contact between the tire and rim strip= less likely to burp.