Quantcast

To those who have ridden North*, I have a Question about my Rig

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
I am heading up to North* tomorrow morning to get my first ride in up there. I have heard so much about it that I am finally going. I am going by myself to so if anyone is going, maybe we could meet up or something.

My question: Should I have any problem riding my Bike down the trails there. I mean, if my bike will not handle it then I simply wont be going. But please give me any and all feedback please. Thank you

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
It has been a couple of years since I've been there, but there are trails that you will have trouble going down, especially with the 2.1 tires. I wouldn't not go, because there are trails that are tamer. Sorry I don't have specifics...hopefully a Gnarstar regular will chime in.

Have fun.

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
It has been a couple of years since I've been there, but there are trails that you will have trouble going down, especially with the 2.1 tires. I wouldn't not go, because there are trails that are tamer. Sorry I don't have specifics...hopefully a Gnarstar regular will chime in.

Have fun.
Yeah thanks for the heads up. These are actually the tires i am going to be putting on in about 5 minutes. Better performance?

Info On Tires: http://aebike.com/images/library/catalogs/soc/prodl/TR1614.jpg

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You'll be fine up to the single black diamond trails. Depending on your skill level you may want to hold off on the double diamond ones. Definitely switch the tires (you should consider some DH casing tires), and put a shorter stem on there for the day.

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Sounds great guys thank you for the heads up. I am fairly new to MTBing so I would definately take my time and have patience and learn today. I am off to Northstar now . thanks again

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Stick to single blacks at the hardest. Stiksandstones, there are some easy routes on the left chairlift, like Sinuous > Pho Dog > Speed Control (I think that order is right) and Flameout.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Yeah, stay off trails like karpiel, sticksandstones, boondocks, dogbone and most other black diamond trails, they're really rocky. If you are a good jumper you'll have fun on livewire, that trail would be plenty fun on your bike, it was still fun even with no chain or derailer, you just have to hold your speed in the corners.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
stay on trails to the right side, not the left (right chairlift, not left).
no. there are some easier trails on both chairs. flameout and big trees/little trees are fine.

and the trails leading down from the mid station back to the village are actually pretty fun on a small bike. I've gone out during the week on my blur and had fun on trails that have annoyed me on a big bike.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
no. there are some easier trails on both chairs. flameout and big trees/little trees are fine.

and the trails leading down from the mid station back to the village are actually pretty fun on a small bike. I've gone out during the week on my blur and had fun on trails that have annoyed me on a big bike.
Ya, forgot about those easy trails....I got so consumed with the dogbones, karpiels, etc of the left side chair, forgot about the other easy ones.
Put the gun down.

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Hey guys just got back from an AWESOME day at North*. I had a blast being my first time on trails. The trails that i hit today were: Snake, Booster, Spoke, Coaster, Woods, Buzzsaw, Frolick, Deerpath, and Upper Mineshaft. I had an absolute great time. I guess you can say I am now addicted to it. Thank you everyone for the tips and pointers. Hope to see some of you up there next weekend. By the way, the bike handled flawlessly. Didnt compare to most of the Rigs up there but hey I had as much if not more fun than them :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Totally unrelated, but was that you at N* like 5 days ago at the bottom of the slabs who convinced me to roll it?

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Totally unrelated, but was that you at N* like 5 days ago at the bottom of the slabs who convinced me to roll it?
Haha Naww wasn't me. It was my first time ever on any trails.

And i would post pics of my bike thats dirty as hell but...... Ok so here is the story. While I was on my drive home, I was going through Auburn at about 80mph down the hill when all the sudden I look in my rear view mirror to only see my Bike rack strap break (which by the way is only 2 weeks old and i only put the bike on there 2 times including this trip ) so there goes my bike sliding across the freeway lanes. Luckily no cars hit it and I was able to recover it. When i got it to the car to inspect it, to my surprise, only the seat was flattened on one side, headset popped loose, Stem slightly bent, left pedal scaped up and broke the seal, and brake levers were worn through the adjustment bolts. So i get home and take the bike and rack to the place I bought the Rack (Sport Chalet. Got the Bike from Performance) and they said they will buy me all new components, A brand new Set of Hayes Hydraulic Breaks System, and even upgrade my cheap 110MM Truvative Stem to the Azonic Shorty Deluxe 50MM which is better for DH and even upgrade my Shimano Clip-in/Platform pedals to the Crank Brothers 5050 XX Platforms. So in the end everything worked out great. I was so shocked to not see one scratch on the entire frame or anything majorly wrong. Good thing they took the initiative to correct the problem. They (Sport Chalet) said they will take care of it and ten talk to Hollywood about their bike rack. Great first half come crashing down literally on the second half.

liquidsystm

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Haha Naww wasn't me. It was my first time ever on any trails.

And i would post pics of my bike thats dirty as hell but...... Ok so here is the story. While I was on my drive home, I was going through Auburn at about 80mph down the hill when all the sudden I look in my rear view mirror to only see my Bike rack strap break (which by the way is only 2 weeks old and i only put the bike on there 2 times including this trip ) so there goes my bike sliding across the freeway lanes. Luckily no cars hit it and I was able to recover it. When i got it to the car to inspect it, to my surprise, only the seat was flattened on one side, headset popped loose, Stem slightly bent, left pedal scaped up and broke the seal, and brake levers were worn through the adjustment bolts. So i get home and take the bike and rack to the place I bought the Rack (Sport Chalet. Got the Bike from Performance) and they said they will buy me all new components, A brand new Set of Hayes Hydraulic Breaks System, and even upgrade my cheap 110MM Truvative Stem to the Azonic Shorty Deluxe 50MM which is better for DH and even upgrade my Shimano Clip-in/Platform pedals to the Crank Brothers 5050 XX Platforms. So in the end everything worked out great. I was so shocked to not see one scratch on the entire frame or anything majorly wrong. Good thing they took the initiative to correct the problem. They (Sport Chalet) said they will take care of it and ten talk to Hollywood about their bike rack. Great first half come crashing down literally on the second half.

Not bad, which Sport Chalet was this?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would have just shoved you................pussy.

Why no call when you in town?
Less of a "convinced" and more of a "you can roll it" kinda thing I guess....................asshole.

I ended up going with a few beginner buddies, so I don't think they would have appreciated hauling ass down the double blacks too much.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Less of a "convinced" and more of a "you can roll it" kinda thing I guess....................asshole.

I ended up going with a few beginner buddies, so I don't think they would have appreciated hauling ass down the double blacks too much.
I'm still hurt on the inside.

It's funny.......I was thinking about how much I was telling you how loose it is. It's crazy how much more 'packed' the new trails got this year with no water (besides livewire obviously). It usually goes the other way. But be glad you came later in the year.

Hope you had fun though.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'll kiss it better if you ask nice.

I was pretty surprised at how packed it was. Made for some good times.

I ended up having a blast.