spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
to whoever stole my wheel - 1

Reply to: anon-29095024@craigslist.org
Date: Sun Apr 18 19:54:44 2004

To the bike thief with a conscience:

I'm still a little confused. I should never have left my bike so poorly secured at the fruitvale bart station, but my partner had just had a pretty serious accident and I was more concerned about her health than my old beater bike. When I came to claim it, though, I could tell that something was wrong. The front wheel (left unsecured by me) was all askew. It was then that I noticed that this was an entirely different wheel. You had stolen my wheel, then in some fit of guilt, compassion, or perhaps just not knowing what to do with your old wheel, you left it with my bike. Here's some advice for you though, in case you want to do this again:

1) The alloy rimmed, dt spoked, deore xt hubbed wheel you left is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer than the steel rimmed, ?? spoked, ?? hubbed wheel you took.

2) I'll probably change it out pretty soon, but the armadillo tire is much better for commuting and general use (what I normally use this bike for) than the 2.25 inch super knobby offroad tire on that old beater wheel of mine. That tire you got is really only useful for serious off road riding and seriously fat folks riding over potholes.

3) I noticed that there's a slow leak in the tire you left. Thus, it's only fair to inform you that the tire you took has a rather fast leak. I usually carry a pump around because the tire goes flat about every 10 miles. I guess that's why I never really ride this bike unless my other three are out of commission (as is the case now).

Again, thanks for the upgrade! My beater mountain bike has taken on a whole new life! If you have any other similar trades you want to make, shoot me an email anytime.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
this is in or around fruitvale bart

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/29095024.html

Copyright © 2004 craigslist

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
someone once stole my fork. I thought maybe they'd be nice and return it, coz you know, it's just a fork. Instead they came back and stole the rest of the bike. This story sucks.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
http://www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/three/bikewheel.html

Open Letter to the Guy Who Stole Bruce's Bike Wheel

Scott [Voice-Over]: And now Bruce McCulloch with an open letter to the guy that stole his bike wheel.
[Bruce enters, bike lowered from above. Lots of "Ah"s from the audience]

Bruce: Well, why did you do it? Are you some sort of jerk or something? It's *my* front wheel! What did you think, that I'd -- drive home and not notice it was stolen? What are you then? Some sort of *prick*? Some sort of idiot? Some sort of thief? What would you do with just my front wheel anyway? What good would just one wheel be? You human loser! Well, why didn't you buy your own wheel if you wanted one so badly. That's what I did.

[Music starts as Bruce turns away and stops when he turns back.]

Well, don't you think I need that wheel? Well, well, what were you thinking? JERK!

Scott [Voice-Over]:That was Bruce McCulloch with an open letter to the guy that stole his bike wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open Letter to the People Who Watched the Guy Steal Bruce's Bike Wheel

Scott [Voice-Over]: And now Bruce McCulloch with an open letter to the people who watched the guy steal his bike wheel.
[Bruce enters, bike lowered from above]

Bruce: Well, you knew it wasn't his wheel! What did you think? He was coming back for the rest of his bike later? Well, why didn't you do something? Why didn't you say something? You human piece of apathy! Why didn't you say, "Hey! That's not your wheel! That could be Bruce McCulloch's wheel! We love him! And he loved that wheel!" Just eatin' brunch. Well, didn't you think I needed it? I did! Well, look at that! Feast on that act of violence! Good work, Einstein! Pus!

Scott [Voice-Over]: That was Bruce McCulloch with an open letter to the people who watched while the guy stole his bike wheel.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Maybe we're thinking about this the wrong way. Maybe it wasn't "stolen". Maybe it was deliberate. Sort of like those people that go around feeding peoples' parking meters for them when they expire to keep them from getting tickets. These guys go around, see crappy bikes and give them upgrades. Leave it there long enough you could end up with a Thomson seat post and Easton carbon bars......