Quantcast

Tokul (West) FYI

ichiwan

Chimp
May 2, 2007
Just a quick FYI to those that ride on the west side of Tokul:

Just before you get up to the Steakhouse trails there's an area on the fire road (and within the adjacent woods) where the county or whomever is testing fertilizer on the surrounding flora. There are notices posted next to the road but you can't really see them until you're actually in the affected area. The fertilizer being tested is made from waste water solids and is potentially hazardous - not to mention it f'in stinks. Do yourself a favor and avoid the area highlighted in green on the attached photo. Apparently the stuff should be safe after 8/15. I had the displeasure of riding in this crap yesterday - it's everywhere. :bad:

Attachments

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
And they say bikers do all the harm to the land huh? Sorry to hear about that, don't really think that anyone should encounter that and more signage should be posted where all trail users will see it from points of entry. Is that in King County still?

Sorry you had to ride in that crap :(

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
"Hazardous" is debatable at best.

It's not testing, this happens all over the woods out there on different cycles. Just like the logging. It's a tree farm after all and farms need fertilizer. Right?
The last time that area was hit was 2 weeks before the last MS Ride we did out there in 2005 and having a few hundred riders going through there did, well, stink. But, oddly enough, that's why that road was practically back to a singletrack trail in just 4 years.

I would assume most if not all forestry professionals would say this does no harm and only benefits the forest.

It's temporary, will get a lot better once we get some good rains, and you all have more to worry about when the Full Bench Trail and the surrounding area there gets logged off in the very near future. :( At least when it gets re-built we'll get views of Griffin.

Not King County property. Hancock Timber owns it. (Used to be owned by Weyerhauser.)

Good point to post the notice here though.

ichiwan

Chimp
May 2, 2007
"Hazardous" is debatable at best.

It's not testing, this happens all over the woods out there on different cycles. Just like the logging. It's a tree farm after all and farms need fertilizer. Right?
I'm just posting this as an FYI - no to debate. However, forests thrived in this area for tens of millions of years - without tons of human crap sprayed all over them. ;)

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I'm just posting this as an FYI - no to debate. However, forests thrived in this area for tens of millions of years - without tons of human crap sprayed all over them. ;)
Logging takes away tons of nutrients. Gotta put it back in and then take it away again in a few years. Pretty f-ed up cycle. :mad: