Quantcast

Tomac 204 magnum?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
This bike totally sliped me when i was searching for a good DH frame, how does this frame compare to other DH racers, i like the desing, similar to the zulu (a liitle), monoque construction, what about brake jack? would this be a problem with its single pivot desing?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
I rode a 204 for all of the '02 and '03 seasons and loved the bike. There are really only three downsides to the bike. 1) You can't get any rear hubs for it besides the Edco. 2) You have to run a Mr Dirt chainguide, unless you feel like heavily modifying some other brand. 3) They're not exactly in the flyweight category, although they're not ridiculously heavy either.

Those things aside, the bike works great. The pivot location is a bit forward for some people's taste, but I thought it felt pretty good. Because of the pivot location, the rear wheel has a near-vertical wheelpath. The swingarm is also well thought out and is very stout; I never felt the bike flexing at all. The suspension design is intelligent as well; basically it's the same pull-rod linkage that you'll find on a KX125. The suspension ramps up in a slow, linear rate until about the last 1/3" of shock stroke. Then the pull rod kicks in and the bike ramps up a lot for bottom control. If you're a taller rider, or just long in the torso, the 204 is a good choice.

As for "brake jack" it doesn't really exist with single pivot bikes. It's more like brake squat. Most single pivot bikes compress down under braking forces, which makes the bike a bit more stable. When people talk about how much jack their Bullit has or whatever, they're mistaking simple physics (deceleration = rider weight going forward) for the bike standing up.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yeah, i hate the gizmo dirt chain guide, i think it horribly big and ugly, i was looking at the one on this site for 800 frame and rear wheel and crank.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I checked the frame out that is a killer deal at that price. I bought a slightly used one with simlar parts for $1000. They are really nice frames very strong and over built. Buy the frame take the money that you saved and put an avy on it and you will be very happy. Most of the weight is around the BB. A buddy rode mine a couple of weeks ago and said he felt like he was riding a slot car, very stable and stiff and goes were you point it

Attachments

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
If you've still got that Fox on your 204 you might want to consider sending it to Push rather than dropping the money on an Avy. Not to put anything against Avalanche but you'll save a bunch of coin. Look for the post about Push modded Fox shocks on the DH message board, they're pretty sick.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
I'm gonna get my Vanilla Push'ed or Mojo'ed in England :-)

The bike turns like it's on rails, stays stable and straight in the rough...

I also bought it used, and I have no regrets...as one other rider said, the only thing of concern is the rear hub. But take care of it, and it'll stay put!