Quantcast

Tomac gets big air with drop bars!

mongo

Chimp
Feb 4, 2005
A little known fact of the first Mt. Biking World Championship held in Durango, CO, in September 1990 is that John Tomac rode a cyclocross-style bike with drop bars. This picture shows Tomac airing out a jump near the end of a long descent on this bike. Drop bars and no body armor! Incredible piece of riding! Click here for more pics from the 1990 Worlds in Durango. Happy trails... Mongo

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Maybe little known to the people under age 25 and got into to MTBing purely to freeride, but for those of us who have followed MTBing since JT was on top it's old news. JT is the man.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ridemonkey said:
Why is this in the downhill forum again atonisher?
No kidding, he never rode DH with drops, only XC at the time he was racing road bikes. He hated switching from drops to flat bars in the same season so he stuck with drops.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
And why is this pic getting posted in more than one forum?

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
H8R said:
No kidding, he never rode DH with drops, only XC at the time he was racing road bikes. He hated switching from drops to flat bars in the same season so he stuck with drops.
:) He actually DID race the 1990 worlds with the same bike in the picture, with the drop bars and the HUGE 1.5' travel original Manitou. The fork would bottom on the tire when he went off the water bars. You can hear it in the video, Tomac also said it was a bit disturbing thinking it would catch really hard and throw him.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah he did ride that in DH in 90, he also said it was the scariest ride of his life, and was a big mistake to use the drops. But ya gotta love the disc, that thing made the coolest sound when he ripped by with it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ridemonkey 10 years from now....

"Oh man! Check out this super old pic!"

"I can't believe they did that with RISER bars!"

"Actually, Bender only rode that bike for that one contest"

"As long as no one brings up Berreclothe!"

"You just did!"

"Dude, like there's this movie out called the collective"

"I can't believe I'm going to be 30!"

:) (just kidding y'all!)

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
I used to have a tioga tension disc... Built it in the late 90's with a 36 hole xtr and a rhyno lite. It was very cool looking but it was tough to keep true. The kevlar thread the held the sheets together was pretty old at that point. I only rode it a handful of times [I used to have a 96 yeti ARC... :) :)] before selling. When my friends rode behind me they said they could ride faster. Why? I asked... well, because they could hear me hit the brakes (they didn't squeal) and the sound of the friction between the ground and the tire would resonate through the wheel... They told me that they just followed behind, listend for the "braking points" and just ripped on the downhills... ha ha ha good fun. I don't miss the tioga disc but man do I miss that Yeti. Rear der. hanger sheared off one day in the woods. (que crying...)