Quantcast

tomac proto

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
its always good to hear tomac is still in DH. Personally, I really like where this is going. The old bike seemed a bit of in terms of geo, this LOOKS a bit more dialed. Low BB, short chainstay, slack angels, and a nice linkage... anybody know some hard facts about it?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The PB article didn't say much except it's like three pounds lighter than the current model. Also says the framset is to run about $1600....not sure if that's a typo or just misinformation, but if it's true that's pretty cool.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Meh! I had so much hope for a new Tomac DH bike after the Tomac/Honda pics last year (I can dream right....) this is just another decent looking bike in a sea of decent looking bikes.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I read an article a while back where someone at Tomac was extolling the benefits of having designed their latest bike without the use of computer drafting tools. I stopped expecting them to be a driving force in the industry then and there.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I read an article a while back where someone at Tomac was extolling the benefits of having designed their latest bike without the use of computer drafting tools. I stopped expecting them to be a driving force in the industry then and there.
Interesting, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Extremely complex/successful things have been designed and built before autocad and fea. Maybe r&d is slower, but design software doesn't come up with and execute good ideas.

Also, were they talking about a new road frame or something like that?

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
its always good to hear tomac is still in DH. Personally, I really like where this is going. The old bike seemed a bit of in terms of geo, this LOOKS a bit more dialed. Low BB, short chainstay, slack angels, and a nice linkage... anybody know some hard facts about it?
I have been checking it with the Linkage program and it's a weird system, It seems too progressive but maybe I'm wrong, I really need a better pic to be sure.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
It's been really hard for me to stay quiet about this... really nice in person. More good news to come...

And yes, it is indeed 3 lbs lighter (frame and rear shock) than the previous model. This new version also has slightly less travel than the Primer. This one has 200mm instead of 220mm of rear travel.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just got a call from the owner of Tomac letting me know this bike was stolen from the back of the Tomac van in Santa Cruz last night.

This is a 1 of a kind bike. Literally, this is the first proto version. Tons of trick parts. Please keep an eye out for this. Again, this is a one of a kind with a bunch of rare parts installed.

Please contact Joel @ jsmith@tomac.com if you have any details.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
More...

2012 Tomac Primer as shown at Roc d’Azur, France recently (via BikeRumor)
The head angle is a World Cup worthy 63º and bottom bracket height is 13.6″. US retail will be just $1,599 with rear shock. Frame/shock combined weight is about 10.5lbs (claimed)...

...and it has ISCGo5 tabs built right in. The leverage ratio and wheel path are very similar to the old Magnum 204 that John Tomac raced back in the day.
The main difference from the prototype displayed at Sea Otter 2011 that I see is the longer linkage that connects to a pivot that's further rearward and higher up on the seat tube.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Interesting. Looks like a solid, simple frame.

Great pricing.

The fluorescent puke green color and decals make it look really cheap... in a bad way.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I like the price... Makes DH more affordable to the masses. Wheel travel seems like a simple single pivot with the linkage more for shock actuation..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I liked the previous one more but I'm not going to complain. The CS seems short but HA is not extra slack so it should be good.
The weight seems reasonable too. I'm a bit suprised since the frame looks so crude.