Quantcast

Took a hit/crash for the team today....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
As most of you know, i'm a cop that works in the projects/housing authority/hud developments, and i'm usually on a bike. i frequently find myself challenged by neighborhood kids to races and wheelie contests....and i rarely lose :D

well, this evening an 11 year old kid on a bmx bike yells, "hey cop..wanna race?!" of course, i can't turn down this challenge, after all...i am the police ;)

so we decide on the race course; a 75 yard stretch to a culdesac, around the culdesac and back to the starting point. did i mention that it just finished raining and i'm riding Kenda Kiniption tires?

we decide on a rolling start and, as usual, the kid thinks he's being original and sneaky by yelling "go!" while he's a few bike lengths ahead. i smile as i take off behind him, gradually shifting gears and catching up to him. i start riding right behind his back tire and heckling him with "i'm just waiting 'til you gas out then i'm gonna coast on the way back.." did i mention that there are about 20+ people out walking the streets observing this test of manhood; a kid challenging a cop to a race, knowing that if he wins he'll live on in neighborhood infamy?
so now i'm beside him, laughing to myself at the sight of him spinning out with his singlespeed bike, knowing all along that my 2x9 drivetrain will easily outmatch him in the long run.....
we fly into the culdesac in a left hand turn, he takes the outside and i pass him on the inside. i notice that my normally tacky Kenda tires are starting to slip a little so i quickly transition to the totally rad flat-track outrigger position. my left foot out, the back is drifting into an impressive power slide, and i smile as i drift by some local gang members virtually patting myself on the back for such a sick show of steez :rolleyes: ;)

then the front tire washes out.

my smiles quickly disappear as i hear the sound of metal grinding on the pavement and feel the rip as my elbow and knee rapidly lose those extra layers of skin i wasn't using anyway. ....but i stayed on the bike, both hands on the bars and my foot still on the pedal. i jump up, the kid slows down as he passes me and asks if i'm ok. I check the chain to make sure it's still on then yell, "it's on!" as i throw my leg back over the saddle and take off. the kid is now 20 yards ahead and gaining as i try and recover some momentum. i try and catch up but he cruises past the finish line about 1.5 seconds before me. i am humbled.

the kid comes over and offers a fist bump (not the terrorist type ;) ) and i congratulate him on his victory and assure him that we'll do it again.
the blood on my arm and knee looks worse than it is as the sweat carries it down and off my appendages in little droplets. the other neighborhood kids on bikes all look on in confusion, not sure whether to laugh or clap. my partners are both as close to rolling on the ground in laughter as the uniform and equipment will allow (i'm the bike instructor...not supposed to crash).
then it happens....one of the kids yells out, "that cop is CRAZY!"
my job is now complete. this is community policing at it's best. i am content; stinging and bloody, but content. :D :D

life is good. :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
:rofl:

I'm totally gonna beat you at the Dirty Bird race this weekend.
no way dude...i eat meat.

haha...i just realized that the road rash on my elbow/forearm is right on top of the poison ivy i got from a K9 track through the friggin jungle last week. i think the road rash may have melted the poison ivy rash away :thumb:

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
lots of kids in the ghetto thinks cops are the bad guys...way to prove them wrong. :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
holy hell....the bandage stuck to the wound last night and i had to rip it off this morning.

my partner filmed me having wheelie competitions with some of the kids a few months back, i'll see if i can get those from him. you wouldn't believe how good some of these kids are at "walking" the bike, ie: stand up wheelies....with no brakes. :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
hmmm...i'll have to try that. but you know, i have to look extra manly in front of my daughters, hence the rip and tear. "daddy look, it's bleeding!" :D

any suggestions on what type of bandage to put on my knee scab, under my leg armor, for a DH race this weekend?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hmmm...i'll have to try that. but you know, i have to look extra manly in front of my daughters, hence the rip and tear. "daddy look, it's bleeding!" :D

any suggestions on what type of bandage to put on my knee scab, under my leg armor, for a DH race this weekend?
non stick telfa pad held in place with self cling vet wrap [elastic, breatheable, sticks to its self and nothin else]

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
thanks eric...i'll swing by the ER and snag some.

dante - i've always had street cred ;) and no, i waited until i made it back to the PD to break down and cry in the fetal position.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

knees are tough. depending on the size of the wound, i'd probably go with one of these
http://www.bandaid.com/productList.do?typeId=5

they are big, bad, and water proof. you won't get dirt under them if you get a good seal around the wound. the glue on them is sturdy and i've had the smaller ones leave marks on my leg from the glue staying on the skin and attracting lint.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hey if its strong enough and durable enough to hold bandages onto a horses leg it ought to be able to hold up to a downhiller. besides it costs a buck per roll at the tack shop while the drug stores charge $6-7 per roll for the human labeled stuff and they give you half as much too

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
:rofl::rofl:
Honkey Shrek has to go to a "large animal vet" for a skinned knee.:rofl::rofl:

Great story, and I'll see ya Saturday man.
lol..."you know what they say about men who need horse bandages....."

to clear up...i'm only going to the ER to get supplies, not making an actual visit for care (there's some kind of weird professional bond between nurses and cops...so they hook us up with med stuff when we need it). don't want any of you folks thinking i'm some kind of sissy that can't handle a little road rash ;) :D