Quantcast

Top Gear

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yeah, "Clarkson Unleashed" or some such... with a forced sense of needing to up the ante for zaniness.

Your read it here first.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
chris harris may be good but super boring. not good for entertainment.

Clarkson is unique, fuck them who dislike him. thats what he is thinking, saying what he wants. its about time to fuck BBC off! since it is state television sort of and internal fight over what to include or not in content of program (annoying mighty producers). Clarkson probably got tired and want to get out.

soon we see electrical and hybrid cars, underpowered. environment conscious vblahblah.

no clarkson? Kill TG totally. pointless have a replacement.

lucklily i have a bicycle to have fun with..
What does the state run thing has to do with anything? BBC is the most profitable state run TV in the world and that's by far. They have great programming so complaining about their producers is a bit silly.

Also Clarkson may have been drunk then but now I doubt he is happy. I doubt Jonathan Ross is getting the same money at CH4 compared to what he was getting at BBC. Sorry BBC outbids any UK TV station and they probably outbid almost all US ones given their great international sales connections and team.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
What does the state run thing has to do with anything? BBC is the most profitable state run TV in the world and that's by far. They have great programming so complaining about their producers is a bit silly.

Also Clarkson may have been drunk then but now I doubt he is happy. I doubt Jonathan Ross is getting the same money at CH4 compared to what he was getting at BBC. Sorry BBC outbids any UK TV station and they probably outbid almost all US ones given their great international sales connections and team.
I don't know all details, but if Clarkson liked the job so much, he would do things differently. It is not issue re money, i think. Imagine running the program many years and already earning loads money but feeling feed up. Maybe not getting what he want.

BBC is highly political correct division there a chooligan doesn't fit. Yeah pushing in face is wrong. But it's laughable that it turned to a slaughter. It's how people are. Making fun of other even one is doing the same wrong thing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't know all details, but if Clarkson liked the job so much, he would do things differently. It is not issue re money, i think. Imagine running the program many years and already earning loads money but feeling feed up. Maybe not getting what he want.

BBC is highly political correct division there a chooligan doesn't fit. Yeah pushing in face is wrong. But it's laughable that it turned to a slaughter. It's how people are. Making fun of other even one is doing the same wrong thing.
There is a big difference between liking your job and having no BETTER (key word here) options. He was probably annoyed and bored. He often complained. Also if you are fed up with your job you quit, not get drunk and punch a producer for not bringing you steak. Did he get carreer advice from Naomi Campbell?

As for political correctness you must be nuts. I'm as politically incorrect as they get but sorry if someone berated you for 30 minutes and then punched you (however soft it was) for not opening a hotel restaurant late in the evening (even though you can't do it) you would be screaming murder. I get that you like Clarkson but his fans are nuts to think that standards that apply to us all in every job should not apply to him. It's not political correctness it's simple equality. If you did what he did, in any job you would be fired. As much as I would like Top gear to continue I applaud BBC to act against their financial interest and fire him. That very rarely happens in showbusiness. Believe me I work in movies and my gf worked in music for 8 years. Usually you get 30 chances before people write you off just because you make money for people. That makes "talent" think they can do anything and it's idiotic.

Not to mention I lost a lot of respect for Clarkson. A hotel restaurant is closed and that's a giant problem? Take a cab and find a restaurant. How hard is it?

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
There is a big difference between liking your job and having no BETTER (key word here) options. He was probably annoyed and bored. He often complained. Also if you are fed up with your job you quit, not get drunk and punch a producer for not bringing you steak. Did he get carreer advice from Naomi Campbell?

As for political correctness you must be nuts. I'm as politically incorrect as they get but sorry if someone berated you for 30 minutes and then punched you (however soft it was) for not opening a hotel restaurant late in the evening (even though you can't do it) you would be screaming murder. I get that you like Clarkson but his fans are nuts to think that standards that apply to us all in every job should not apply to him. It's not political correctness it's simple equality. If you did what he did, in any job you would be fired. As much as I would like Top gear to continue I applaud BBC to act against their financial interest and fire him. That very rarely happens in showbusiness. Believe me I work in movies and my gf worked in music for 8 years. Usually you get 30 chances before people write you off just because you make money for people. That makes "talent" think they can do anything and it's idiotic.

Not to mention I lost a lot of respect for Clarkson. A hotel restaurant is closed and that's a giant problem? Take a cab and find a restaurant. How hard is it?
For the first, you imagine Clarkson's thinking from your perspective. Why should he need to have better options for a job if money is no issue?. If he want have fun, plenty of options are there (no only jobs) but if he want a job, why should he care for better options if he want a job? He was on top of television, nothing else to do regarding "better" options. Nothing to climb more on the top of mountain.

Equality is part of political correctness or are we confusing some things? Again, Clarkson may figured out own dramatic exit of his career in BBC. We are talking about an ECCENTRIC guy, not a mellow, shy one. In your opinion, he should have a quiet exit but he is Clarkson for God's sake!

I agree re BBC act, thats why I said they are state television. Very close to politics and no 1 canal for majority UK viewers, forming their opinions etc.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For the first, you imagine Clarkson's thinking from your perspective. Why should he need to have better options for a job if money is no issue?. If he want have fun, plenty of options are there (no only jobs) but if he want a job, why should he care for better options if he want a job? He was on top of television, nothing else to do regarding "better" options. Nothing to climb more on the top of mountain.

Equality is part of political correctness or are we confusing some things? Again, Clarkson may figured out own dramatic exit of his career in BBC. We are talking about an ECCENTRIC guy, not a mellow, shy one. In your opinion, he should have a quiet exit but he is Clarkson for God's sake!

I agree re BBC act, thats why I said they are state television. Very close to politics and no 1 canal for majority UK viewers, forming their opinions etc.
Outside of money finding something interesting to do will also be problematic. Remember that 1 episode of TG costs 1m GBP to make. Not many stations can afford it. He can start his own project but your choices are way more limited when you have a more limited budget (and he is rich but not rich enough to fund them himself). He may be doing interesting projects but leaving BBC limits his options.

Equality is not part of political correctness. There is a huge difference between the two. You can easily belive in equality and be politically incorrect. To use an example Bill Maher (don't like him but he is a good example) is politically Incorrect but he is for equality. Politicall correctness varies depending on the political climate, equality doesn't. How can you confuse the two is beyond me.

Also what does BBC decision has to do with politics? Are you some kind of a crazy libertarian who thinks everything state own is bad and the UK gov uses BBC to control popular opinion? Because BBC and Cameron are quite different. Hell PBS also didn't go republican during the Bush years so where does your opinion come from? The fact that they did the right thing has nothing to do with politics. It probably has to do with being nationwide, not a niche channel. NBC in the US would probably do the same and they are not state owned.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Outside of money finding something interesting to do will also be problematic. Remember that 1 episode of TG costs 1m GBP to make. Not many stations can afford it. He can start his own project but your choices are way more limited when you have a more limited budget (and he is rich but not rich enough to fund them himself). He may be doing interesting projects but leaving BBC limits his options.

Equality is not part of political correctness. There is a huge difference between the two. You can easily belive in equality and be politically incorrect. To use an example Bill Maher (don't like him but he is a good example) is politically Incorrect but he is for equality. Politicall correctness varies depending on the political climate, equality doesn't. How can you confuse the two is beyond me.

Also what does BBC decision has to do with politics? Are you some kind of a crazy libertarian who thinks everything state own is bad and the UK gov uses BBC to control popular opinion? Because BBC and Cameron are quite different. Hell PBS also didn't go republican during the Bush years so where does your opinion come from? The fact that they did the right thing has nothing to do with politics. It probably has to do with being nationwide, not a niche channel. NBC in the US would probably do the same and they are not state owned.
ah you was worrying about making a good program within limits of budget. I actually thought it would be very funny when Clarkson reviews a Fiat Punto. It is not about cars, it is how one makes presentation. Humor you cannot buy with BBC money. For me it is the crucial difference.

Re political correctness, let me quote some things from WIKI:

"Political correctness or political correctitude[1] (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is an attitude or policy of being careful not to offend or upset any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage."

The French philosopher Michel Foucault wrote : "a political thought can be politically correct ("politiquement correcte") only if it is scientifically painstaking"

Toni Cade Bambara said that "a man cannot be politically correct and a [male] chauvinist, too."

BBC as state television has responsibility to do things correctly as kicking Clarkson out. Smaller tv channels wouldnt get same external pressure to do the same thing. That's my point. Not trying to find a link to the actual poltical arena.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ah you was worrying about making a good program within limits of budget. I actually thought it would be very funny when Clarkson reviews a Fiat Punto. It is not about cars, it is how one makes presentation. Humor you cannot buy with BBC money. For me it is the crucial difference.

Re political correctness, let me quote some things from WIKI:

"Political correctness or political correctitude[1] (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is an attitude or policy of being careful not to offend or upset any group of people in society who are believed to have a disadvantage."

The French philosopher Michel Foucault wrote : "a political thought can be politically correct ("politiquement correcte") only if it is scientifically painstaking"

Toni Cade Bambara said that "a man cannot be politically correct and a [male] chauvinist, too."

BBC as state television has responsibility to do things correctly as kicking Clarkson out. Smaller tv channels wouldnt get same external pressure to do the same thing. That's my point. Not trying to find a link to the actual poltical arena.
A lower budget also means no top gear specials, fewer trips etc. Why on earth do you think the budget will affect the cars he will get? He will still get ferraris. The problem is he won't be testing them in US or other remote place, he will be doing it in England and sometimes UK. It's expensive to send a whole crew abroad. Also no exploding trailers and nother crazy projects. Those cost too.

As for political correctness that's strange. You can copy the concept but still don't understand the difference between this an equality. Clarkson wasn't fired for political reasons. He was fired because EVERYONE would got fired for punching a coworker. Seriously how is that a surprise for you? You punch someone - you get fired. Be it Clarkson or be it Joe average.

BBC has no responsibility to do things correctly. If they were as correct as you think they would not have never hired Clarkson since he is politically incorrect. They would have never hired Jonathan Ross (he touched Halle Berry's breasts on live TV, that's far from politically correct). BBC has a long history of politically incorrect programming. Hell they are more politically incorrect than NBC and other big US networks who try to appeal to everyone with every of their channels. Also even though NBC and other channels are not politically motivated they would also fire him. How can you explain that? BBC because it has many channels can focus on different viewer groups. That's why then can program Top gear next to Doctor Who and Do next to The Office (again Gervais is politically correct? Please explain how).

I get that you like Clarkson but you defending him is silly. The headlines should read like this huffpo one - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/25/man-loses-job-after-punching-colleague-in-face_n_6940474.html

Re human rights (equality?), it is another abstract concept, quoting Gilles Deleuze

http://www.generation-online.org/p/fpdeleuze10.htm

So is beauty yet that doesn't stop you from claiming something is good looking so how does that devalue the concept of equality?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I bet there is more to it than just steak. I have a feeling the producer has deprived Clarkson of bacon with his eggs on several occasions and the steak just pushed him over the edge.

Mattcz

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
I think it's all a big stunt. Clarkson reported himself, the producer didn't press charges. Now the BBC is saying Clarkson may return at some point.
I love Top Gear and the host but this kind of ridiculous.
The show won't work with anyone else as host. It was the greatest show about 3 rich British guys screwing around with cars.........IN THE WORLD.
I hope they come back but if they dont, I still watch the reruns.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
good news i guess and glad to see that TG's top producer also resigned too

The BBC have confirmed Top Gear's £10million live world tour will go ahead next month with Jeremy Clarkson at the helm alongside fellow presenters James May and Richard Hammond.

A BBC spokesman said they will fulfil the series of gigs which have already sold 200,000 tickets worldwide - but added that the shows will be stripped of all BBC branding and content and billed as Clarkson, Hammond and May Live.

That means the shows, which will take place in venues as far afield as Australia, Norway, and South Africa as well as the UK, will not be able to use clips from the show or feature The Stig.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020120/BBC-confirm-Gear-live-shows-fronted-Jeremy-Clarkson.html?ito=social-facebook

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yawn..
Everybody, we have some very big news! Yes, Chris Evans has signed a three-year deal to lead an all new line up for Top Gear.

And it's straight over to the man himself: "I'm thrilled, Top Gear is my favourite programme of all time. Created by a host of brilliant minds who love cars and understand how to make the massively complicated come across as fun, devil-may-care and effortless. When in fact, of course, it's anything but and that's the genius of Top Gear's global success.

"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward."
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/Chris-Evans-to-lead-new-Top-Gear-line-up-2016-06-16

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not sure how much success he will have outside of the Blighty. His accent is probably a bit too strong for a lot of 'Merikins to understand.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not sure how much success he will have outside of the Blighty. His accent is probably a bit too strong for a lot of 'Merikins to understand.
he is super popular over yonder but really isnt known outside of the queens rule which could prove to be interesting with how vast their viewership is(was)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ugh, what a disappointing last episode. its was weird to not really hear Clarkson doing the voice overs, especially knowing that he had to go back after being fired to record the ones that aired. the episode wasnt like their typical season/series finales.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz will be on the new show. I like it.
Sabine is not that interesting to listen to. I like Monkey alone, but I just don't see that chemistry being replicated.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sabine is not that interesting to listen to. I like Monkey alone, but I just don't see that chemistry being replicated.
That old chemistry was broken. The last few seasons they did little but call each other creative names like "stupid".