Quantcast

Top notch CS from Juan @ Gamut

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Well I bitch about enough stuff on here, so I suppose I should also give credit where it's due - a couple of weeks ago I was having a bit of a whinge on here about the Gamut bashies that I'd broken. I'd already had two warrantied by the local distributor but was getting a bit sick of it anyway, so was planning to go for something else. Juan contacted me after reading my comments and asked what problems I'd had, and after getting some details, sent me out not one but two new bashies (I live in Australia), free of charge, with custom/modified bolt holes to hopefully eradicate the issues I've been having.

IMO this shows a great commitment to pro-active customer service and a real willingness from Gamut to stand behind their products. :thumb:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've had nothing but amazing customer service from Gamut over the past two years. Juan and Mateo live about 15 minutes from me, and they're always down to talk bikes when I run into them. Fantastic customer service, fantastic product, and VERY local-rider-scene supportive.

I'll run Gamut until forever.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Seeing this makes me wonder. Its not my intention to turn this into a wanker contest, or to compare c**ks or anything...

But I've had great service from e13. I imagine Juan has great CS from everything I've heard. Are all guide companies like this? I feel like my roommates done well by blackspire as well, and while mark reynolds was still alive, wicked racing was pretty cool too.

I guess when everybodies guides are similar weight, they all work pretty well, it comes down to CS...

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Gamut are the best chain device company out fo sure.

I have dealings with the guys and all of them are great.

Great Product,great service and just great all round.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Seeing this makes me wonder. Its not my intention to turn this into a wanker contest, or to compare c**ks or anything...

But I've had great service from e13. I imagine Juan has great CS from everything I've heard. Are all guide companies like this? I feel like my roommates done well by blackspire as well, and while mark reynolds was still alive, wicked racing was pretty cool too.

I guess when everybodies guides are similar weight, they all work pretty well, it comes down to CS...
haha we can only hope - it can only be a good thing given how low the average standard of customer service in the bike industry is.

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
Have only had great experiences with Juan at Gamut. Busted a roller on my guide and was missing some harware, shot him an email asking where I BUY them and he replied asking my address so he could send them free of charge. Got them 2 days later, happened to be the wrong part, so he sent me the right parts the next day, didnt have to pay for any of it. Awesome guys over at Gamut.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've had similar 1st class service from juan. i'm still running one of the original guides from '05, and the lower pulley was a bit beat, so i pinged gamut about replacement parts. juan emailed back & said he'd ship me one gratis. a week later it was on my doorstep. the guide has been flawless since day one; in conjunction w/ that kind of superlative c/s (not to mention the light weight & simplicity of the design), i'm a gamut loyalist. awesome company.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Glad to hear all these great comments about Juan and Gamut! I will add to the good vibes:
I put a P40 on my legend recently and had a go at gaping our newly built rock garden. As you might expect it didn't go all that well. smashed hell out of my bashie and bent my ring. Cranks and ISCG tabs were fine. I bent the ring back as well. Dropped a note over to Juan thanking him for making a great product that does its job well. Mind you not asking for anything just givin' props. Two days later a new bashie shows up on my doorstep!

Now that is some crazy CS there baby.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
They warranty bashrings? I know of plenty cracked gamut rings, I'll have to pass the word along so they can stop buying replacements. Sounds like you had a good experience.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Juan hooked me up with my new P30. I tried to call him one time to make sure my order was right and he missed my call. (I didn't leave a message...) He called me back 2 hours later to confirm everything was dialed with his caller ID. He's good.

Last edited:

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Def. Cool you got hooked up but I prob would have switched to one that doesn't break by that point

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Sounds like they are getting it together. When they were first arriving on the chainguide scene, they had a booth a one of our local races. A buddy of mine just put one on his bike, he was having problems with it. He approached them for advice/help and they basically blew him off. They had a bike stand and everything. So instead of them taking 15-20 minutes out of their day to fix it, they pretty much ignored him, just giving a little advice. That kinda soured me towards them. Especially when you're just starting out, you need to go above and beyond. That's why e13 has the reputation they have. Seem like they are always willing to drop what they are doing to help out.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Def. Cool you got hooked up but I prob would have switched to one that doesn't break by that point
I was just about to, but he's sent me rings that are reinforced where I've been breaking them. If they go too, time for something new, but credit where credit is due.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
On the positive side: Glad to hear that they have good CS.

The negative side: Sucks to hear that so many people are breaking their Gamut bash gaurds. I'd rather have a product that kicks ass and wont implode and still have amazing CS.

The worm can has been opened. Discuss.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
What I really wanted to say :)

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
Ted Nelson:What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
One point to note:

I was about 4 ft in the air and landed bash-ring first on a pile of rocks about the size of beach balls. It was my understanding that a bashring is suppose to blow apart in this case to save the rest of the gear from damage. If the bashie does not blow apart you can bet your arse something else more valuable will!

This makes me think:

a bashie made of some hard plastic material that behaved like a car windscreen when it was hit would be killer. It would absorb all the impact, shatter like a windscreen but not blow apart.

Just thinkin'

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
On the positive side: Glad to hear that they have good CS.

The negative side: Sucks to hear that so many people are breaking their Gamut bash gaurds. I'd rather have a product that kicks ass and wont implode and still have amazing CS.

The worm can has been opened. Discuss.
Fair call, I'm not arguing that the product is perfect, I'm saying that they've shown they're willing to back up any problems that arise, AND (in my case at least) actually take steps to IMPROVE the situation rather than just replace the broken parts with something that'll break again. Idle guarantees are one thing, this is a bit different though IMO.

Anyway the point is not whether Gamut guides are perfect or not, everything can be improved including these. But since we all bitch and moan about everything that goes wrong with our bikes (and the industry) I thought it'd be nice to give credit where someone has gone beyond what the "guarantee on the box" says. They could easily have said "well you hit anything hard enough and you'll break it, tough luck", but they didn't.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I agree that its good to hear that they did something to remedy the problem, and hopefully will avoid the failure next time with those reinforced rings.

My point is that it seems like too often in the bike industry, a company will try to create this 'smoke screen effect' by tossing free replacements/CS at you to get you to forget that the part broke in the first place. Like 'hey we know we ****ed up with this design, but here's another of the same product...better luck next time!'

Not saying this is the case with Gamut, just saying that IMO, it happens a lot in the industry. I remember the days of Manitou giving out free forks if you just called them and said your Stance broke :)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
My point is that it seems like too often in the bike industry, a company will try to create this 'smoke screen effect' by tossing free replacements/CS at you to get you to forget that the part broke in the first place. Like 'hey we know we ****ed up with this design, but here's another of the same product...better luck next time!
Look, there's no need to bring Crank Brothers into this, ok?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Wanted to bump this up and thank Juan at Gamut. I had a bash that developed some cracks around 3 of the chain ring bolts holes. It is possible I overtightened the bolts when I installed new cranks causing the cracks. Either way Juan's service is top notch and I received the new guard after dropping the old one in the mail bow last Saturday night.

A++++++ job!!!

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Hey Socket- what was changed on the bashie?

I am waiting for one too after mine started to crack around the bolt holes, but it now seems my emails are no longer being replied to.

I'm also trying to resolve the issues with these guides and the new saint cranks, chain falls between the bashie and ring, and there is no real room to remove material from the bashie to step it in. Anyone have a solution, as at this stage gamut does not?

:(

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
it now seems my emails are no longer being replied to.
try telephones, they seem to work pretty well. I don't know why people seem to think email is some magical customer service tool. unless a manufacturer tells you that it prefers email, phone calls are the best way to get the mfr's attention.

the rest of your lame comment is based on your wrong assumption that email is the only way to contact Gamut. you should try considering that this is race season and they make a race device. you think they're going to be spending all their time checking emails? I don't think so. most businesses that serve the race community are hard to reach by email come race season.

younger22

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate NY
Hey Socket- what was changed on the bashie?

I am waiting for one too after mine started to crack around the bolt holes, but it now seems my emails are no longer being replied to.

I'm also trying to resolve the issues with these guides and the new saint cranks, chain falls between the bashie and ring, and there is no real room to remove material from the bashie to step it in. Anyone have a solution, as at this stage gamut does not?

funny, I emailed them this morning, and promptly received a response.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA

Balls dude, just reiterates who really has the consistent top notch products and customer service. I'm sure the boys in Leominster will welcome your business with open arms. :thumb:

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Wanted to bump this up and thank Juan at Gamut. I had a bash that developed some cracks around 3 of the chain ring bolts holes. It is possible I overtightened the bolts when I installed new cranks causing the cracks. Either way Juan's service is top notch and I received the new guard after dropping the old one in the mail bow last Saturday night.

A++++++ job!!!
Woah, this is covered under warranty? I've just been running it like that...

But I contacted Juan about the 8mm bolt I accidentally over-tightened and sheared (completely my fault) and he still said that he'd ask the Canadian distrib. to send me a new one. The Canadian Dist. on the other hand, well lets say I'm still running half a bolt. it was only 2 weeks ago, but there are no borders so it shouldn't be taking that long.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I have to second this customer service! I posted a thread last night about my gamut guide not fitting, it was because i misread the morewood site...well within 12 hours i get an email from juan and mike saying that they will replace the boomerang for me. All i can say is WOW! i have never ever had this much assistance from a company. Props to you guys

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
try telephones, they seem to work pretty well. I don't know why people seem to think email is some magical customer service tool. unless a manufacturer tells you that it prefers email, phone calls are the best way to get the mfr's attention.

the rest of your lame comment is based on your wrong assumption that email is the only way to contact Gamut. you should try considering that this is race season and they make a race device. you think they're going to be spending all their time checking emails? I don't think so. most businesses that serve the race community are hard to reach by email come race season.

Your a bit of a f*ckwit huh?

Its called being in a different country which now has no distributor. If you can man a phone, you can man a email. After posting this here my email got magically answered. Funny that.

Jonny,

Apologies for the delay. XXIV has no stock and we are in the midst of dealer change. I had someone wanting to step in but this "shop" wasn't much of a shop at all. Please provide your address and we will ship ASAP in order make sure the customer is taken care of prior to their Whistler trip. I'll meet with the customer as well to make sure they are taken care of when I am in Whistler.

My skype is mateo_graziosi and my cell is 408 375 4995 should you need to talk to me directly. Bummer about Ken but we all wish him and Llew well.

Mateo
Sounds good. Actions speak louder than words though, I still wait for mine to arrive.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
maybe a gamut guide purchase should come with a monthly bashguard replacement subscription: you automatically get a new one mailed to you at the first of every month.

-r

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Your a bit of a f*ckwit huh?

Its called being in a different country which now has no distributor. If you can man a phone, you can man a email. After posting this here my email got magically answered. Funny that
what's a "f*ckwit"? is that a word you use when someone contradicts your lies?

deal with people as an adult, you'll get adult responses. deal with them as a petulant spoiled child, you're likely to be ignored. maturity counts in the real world. step out of the internet e-riding world for a minute, you'll see.

whatever YOU think Gamut should be doing, that's YOUR fantasy. you're free to set up and run your own company. I suggest you try that if you're so sure you can do better. good luck with that fantasy!

to reiterate: I have nothing but good responses from Gamut. nothing but good responses. apparently you're doing something wrong here.

Last edited:

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
getting back to topic, just sorted everything out with juan which is great! i cant believe how fast it has been sorted out! they are even sending me the new boomerang first, which is great because im itching to go for a ride. Great work by the guys, will be buying gamut for a long time!

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
what's a "f*ckwit"? is that a word you use when someone contradicts your lies?

deal with people as an adult, you'll get adult responses. deal with them as a petulant spoiled child, you're likely to be ignored. maturity counts in the real world. step out of the internet e-riding world for a minute, you'll see.

whatever YOU think Gamut should be doing, that's YOUR fantasy. you're free to set up and run your own company. I suggest you try that if you're so sure you can do better. good luck with that fantasy!

to reiterate: I have nothing but good responses from Gamut. nothing but good responses. apparently you're doing something wrong here.
Haha. Your the one still going on about this. Perhaps you should read my original post- there was no attacking and no idea where you think I lied- only questions about my failed product. You have had good luck with gamut support, me- not so much. Why attack me because of this?

BTW- There is a huge difference between a spoiled child and customer. Get off your high horse.

Oh, and I'm no kid.

Last edited: