Quantcast

Torquing the bolts?

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
How many here actually follow the manufacture's recommendation and torque all the bolts to spec?

I asked because this is the first DH bike that I'm building from the ground up, I've always had "out-of-the-box" bikes before. Any upgrades that I made I just tightened until it was tight, for this build I was thinking if I should be a little more precise and anal about it and go and buy a torque wrench for the build.

Out,
Brian

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've never torqued any bolts, just used feel........... We were talking about it at my LBS the other day and I think I'm going to get a torque wrench. I'm anal with everything else so I may as well be anal with torquing bolts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i always torque every bolt that is needed. it might be tedious, but it really doesnt take that long to take a torque wrench to the bolts before every ride and after a ride.

tightening till its tight might be too tight per manufacturers recommendations.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are certain things I'll follow torque spec on (crown pinch bolts, stem bolts, stuff for internals of shocks), but some stuff I just go till I think it's good - rotor bolts, stuff like that.

But I can definitely say that a torque wrench is a good investment.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Thanks, kind of was my thought as well. Any rec's on a torque wrench to get? 3/8" drive, 1/4" drive? The kind with the pointer "thingie", or the clicker or a digital?

I know I read a thread on here about wrenches, but it just came to me just now and I have already type this much.

*Pepe*

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Vancouver, BC
There are certain things I'll follow torque spec on (crown pinch bolts, stem bolts, stuff for internals of shocks), but some stuff I just go till I think it's good - rotor bolts, stuff like that.

But I can definitely say that a torque wrench is a good investment.
this...

after i first started using my torque wrench i was amazed how much i was generally over-tightening the bolts on my bike. while i still geek out with the torque wrench where and when it makes sense (to me), if i don't have one kicking around or i'm in a rush, i at least have a better sense of how tight things need to be.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
if you actually design mechanical devices, you get a good appreciation for how long it can. Designers pass this know-how onto to the lay person by prescribing a set of rules to follow when using the item. He made the complicated simple by giving you just a number. Get a torque wrench, listen to the designer. Have fun. For a long time.

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I find the click type most convenient. I actually use a 1/4" drive park model at work primarily. I think it maxes around 15Nm, which covers pretty much everything you might need on a bike. fork crowns, axle clamps, stems, shimano/fsa cranks, suspension guts all get a clickin'... they either keep your face or junk intact, or are really expensive to crack a casting on.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
1/4" drives for bikes really are generally useless since they dont go up that high. a 3/8" is the best except for some pivot bolts that are generally higher than most 3/8"s go.
clicker torque wrenches are a lot more durable than a torsion bar

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
For the life of me, I couldn't come up with torsion bar trying describe that model. Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'm getting a 3/8" torque from my Snap-On neighbor.
pointer thingy is also another acceptable name :thumb:

snap on stuff is nice, a bit pricey even if your neighbor is a salesman. i cant find any under $230 on their site! thats a lot

craftsman stuff is great and cheap
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=torque+wrench&x=0&y=0&vName=

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
$230!!! Whoa, didn't realize the Snap-On's were that much. I'll have talk the neighbor and see what he can sell it to me for. I have no problem with Craftman, about 95% of my hand tools are Craftsman.

Damn Rice, I just checked out that link you sent, and for $70, I'm getting a Craftsman.

Let me you ask something else then, I see a few choices, some with in/lbs some with ft/lbs, and just several different choices. Is there one you prefer or recommend over another? I don't mean to be a pain in the arse.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the difference between ft/lb and in/lb is just size, in. being smaller and for smaller torque values.

$230!!! Whoa, didn't realize the Snap-On's were that much. I'll have talk the neighbor and see what he can sell it to me for. I have no problem with Craftman, about 95% of my hand tools are Craftsman.

Damn Rice, I just checked out that link you sent, and for $70, I'm getting a Craftsman.

Let me you ask something else then, I see a few choices, some with in/lbs some with ft/lbs, and just several different choices. Is there one you prefer or recommend over another? I don't mean to be a pain in the arse.
Snap-On tools are super nice and stupidly expensive.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
With aluminum parts, I eschew the torque wrench. I seem to tighten parts fine.

Anything with small bolt heads or carbon, I bring out the wrench.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

if you look at most ratings for your parts, they are in in/lbs. you can get a ft/lbs wrench, just divide it by 12 obviously but they usually dont go down to the low values bike parts need...except maybe for pivots

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If I can fit a socket on it, I use a torque wrench

This is one of my favorites, but in all reality, you really should have two......

One for your Handlebar components, one for larger components
3/8's
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=13&item=TW-6
1/4's
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=13&item=TW-5

Oh and BTW, a 230 dollar TW from snap on.... thats a cheap one, some of the TW's you find on the tool trucks are 3 bills plus.....

My torque wrench I use at the auto shop ran me 335, goes from 30 foot pounts to 300..... Matco FTMFW over crap on anyday.

Last edited: