Quantcast

Tossing And Turning Sundae GMT…

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I volunteer at the JCC in my town. Just for access to the pool and the cafe. I drag old people around the pool with my brother and his girlfriend. It's a workout and they love it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
brewing espresso in the camper, EMT at a dressage competition today. Getting paid to watch my wife compete is kinda cool if you ask me.

Comp starts at 0800 but it's 0600 and I am in uniform and on duty until 1600 hrs. should hit 72 this afternoon currently 47

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Swim for Hannah, then K1 because the grandparents and Wifey want to see Hannah drive, then the circus this afternoon. I'm thinking about getting a HELOC to pay off the mortgage too. Checking the math, but it looks like we'll save 10yrs and $60k, so probably going to do that.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Take out HELOC. Put $10k as lump into your mtge. Use your HELOC as your checking acct - all transactions in-out. The paycheck deposit counts as your monthly payment. Every month that you spend less than you make, you keep paying down that $10k that you took out. Once it's paid off, you do another $10k. Rinse and repeat. They have different interest rate structures, so even if the HELOC has a higher rate, it's based on avg daily balance instead of amortized over 30yrs - it ends up being cheaper if you keep paying it off.

And take out a large HELOC to not mess up your credit; only use as needed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just sold the old Rocky Mountain fat bike frame with stem and Chromag bars for $100. Good to get it gone.

It's warm and Missouri humid out there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Had the VFW district meeting yesterday. I've been promoted from my local post to district quartermaster because why not. There is discussion on either merging my post with Scappoose, or just dissolving mine and let folks join Scappoose if they want. The commander of Scappoose want to dissolve it so he doesn't get any trash that might come with a merger. While I can see his point we had $14k in the bank that would just get handed not to distract, but to the state.

Rainer was dissolved and Seaside is on suspension, but they are trying to save it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
There are bikes in the garage and I intend to pay a bit of attention to them today.
at purser hulsey? :brows:

felt like crap last night-second night of crushing headache, body aches, night sweats/clamminess. wtf??? do not like.

wife is going to take kiddo to his rugby matches today, supposedly so i can rest/chill, but is also leaving me with a rather long to do list which would make the former impossible.

hopefully will feel better tomorrow so i can squeeze in a ride while kiddo is at rugby practice

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm thinking about getting a HELOC to pay off the mortgage too. Checking the math, but it looks like we'll save 10yrs and $60k, so probably going to do that.
even if the HELOC has a higher rate, it's based on avg daily balance instead of amortized over 30yrs - it ends up being cheaper if you keep paying it off.
got a concrete example of this? this seems so counterintuitive with 9% HELOC rates vs my 1.75% and 2.375% mortgage rates

/me checked snowstakes and did not elect to ski. Eldest’s concert this afternoon for string ensemble

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Take out HELOC. Put $10k as lump into your mtge. Use your HELOC as your checking acct - all transactions in-out. The paycheck deposit counts as your monthly payment. Every month that you spend less than you make, you keep paying down that $10k that you took out. Once it's paid off, you do another $10k. Rinse and repeat. They have different interest rate structures, so even if the HELOC has a higher rate, it's based on avg daily balance instead of amortized over 30yrs - it ends up being cheaper if you keep paying it off.

And take out a large HELOC to not mess up your credit; only use as needed.
With today's interest rates I don't know why everyone isn't doing this!1!!1!1!!!!!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
got a concrete example of this? this seems so counterintuitive with 9% HELOC rates vs my 1.75% and 2.375% mortgage rates

/me checked snowstakes and did not elect to ski. Eldest’s concert this afternoon for string ensemble

Do the math. Short-term, small balance, simple rate used to pay off long-term amortized. Even with the higher rate, by cropping decades out of the amortization, you save on the net interest paid.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Alive yet another day, Found outboard for a steal on marketplace near me finally that will work on the Dory, hopefully, the dude will answer. Still on the hunt for an enclosed trailer.

In other news,

As soon as the well gets drilled I am building a greenhouse on the property, a big one. Produce out here looks like shit before it even leaves the stores.

:wave:

Slippery ride this morning. Officially, I've ridden more this year than the past two combined.

I've ridden 7 times this year. :rofl:
Same gerl same,

ridden maybe 5 miles on the fatbike in the last couple weeks, as compared to zero miles in the last 3 years

Morning Monkeys.

Had the VFW district meeting yesterday. I've been promoted from my local post to district quartermaster because why not. There is discussion on either merging my post with Scappoose, or just dissolving mine and let folks join Scappoose if they want. The commander of Scappoose want to dissolve it so he doesn't get any trash that might come with a merger. While I can see his point we had $14k in the bank that would just get handed not to distract, but to the state.

Rainer was dissolved and Seaside is on suspension, but they are trying to save it.
Funny, If you remember I was trying to work with a ton of legacy vet orgs such as the VFW when I was running our orgs. Sat down with tons of commanders and staff having discussions and presentations about the future of the veterans non profit sector for years on end with no progress as it was falling on deaf ears. Seems they would still rather scuttle the ships than put in the effort of restructuring the org and its core mission to meet the needs of current vets.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Do the math. Short-term, small balance, simple rate used to pay off long-term amortized. Even with the higher rate, by cropping decades out of the amortization, you save on the net interest paid.
using actual mortgage numbers/rates and the Denver HELOC rate (through Third Federal if you decide to do this anyway), putting a hypothetical extra $1,500 towards the mortgage itself vs via the HELOC seems to win in both cases, unless I'm interpreting this incorrectly

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.35.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.38.43 AM.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is the secret sauce in turning on this paycheck parking flag? then it seems like a whole lot of juggling timing of bills/inflows/outflows

edit: turning on said flag still has this HELOC juggling affair behind just regular extra payments of the same amount, both scenarios.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Funny, If you remember I was trying to work with a ton of legacy vet orgs such as the VFW when I was running our orgs. Sat down with tons of commanders and staff having discussions and presentations about the future of the veterans non profit sector for years on end with no progress as it was falling on deaf ears. Seems they would still rather scuttle the ships than put in the effort of restructuring the org and its core mission to meet the needs of current vets.
One of the big points in the meeting is the issue some posts have with the transition. Some posts welcome new blood with new ideas, some don't. I know a guy who wanted to join our post got turned away because he had piercings, or so I heard. I was recruited buy a couple different guys, but they also don't know I'm a liberal. :rofl: