Quantcast

Totem on a sx trail?

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
Would it be safe to put a totem coil on a 07 sx trail III? I currently have a 160mm fox 36 and am really disliking how linear it is. Would the totem be to big for the bike? rake the angles out to much? void the warrenty? Please dont reply yes or no, numbers and measurments help ALOT.

Thanx

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
Also, the frame comes with a 9.0x 2.75 shock. How would the angles change with a 8.875x2.75 shock? If i put a totem instead of the 36 would the angles go back to normal and cancel out? Would i loose any travel in the rear? How would the ratios change? would the shock become less or more progressive?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
a totem will be fine. why not ask bikeit13 over on bustedspoke as he has/had a totem on his sx trail.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
a totem will be fine. why not ask bikeit13 over on bustedspoke as he has/had a totem on his sx trail.
The 05, 06, and 07 sx trails are not by anymeans the same, slightly different angles, vastly different structure and stress points, and reenforcement. I can easily put it on and call it a day, but that doesnt answer any of what im trying to get at

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Would it be safe to put a totem coil on a 07 sx trail III? I currently have a 160mm fox 36 and am really disliking how linear it is. Would the totem be to big for the bike? rake the angles out to much? void the warrenty? Please dont reply yes or no, numbers and measurments help ALOT.

Thanx
All the #s and measurements you need are right on Rock Shox's web site. 25mm longer fork = 1* slacker bike.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
The Totem is no cure for linear. I have the Solo Air and it's not very progressive. Also read a review on Pinkbike by Acadian where he felt the coil version was also really linear.

I still love the fork, but if I am riding it at a 30% sag and a nice supple trail feel, it gobbles everything up but blows through travel. I have to air it up a few pounds if I want to keep from bottoming on bigger impacts.

JMH

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Also, the frame comes with a 9.0x 2.75 shock. How would the angles change with a 8.875x2.75 shock? If i put a totem instead of the 36 would the angles go back to normal and cancel out? Would i loose any travel in the rear? How would the ratios change? would the shock become less or more progressive?
the shorter shock will lower the rear (by the difference in shock length multiplied by the average leverage ratio) ..a Totem will raise the front..both add to the slackness of the bike, not cancel each other out....

ratio does not change with a different shock, if there is any difference in the progressivness, you will not notice as you are just starting and ending slightly different points along the same curve.

The difference in travel will be the difference in stroke of the shock, multilied by the average leverage ratio. (2.75 - 2.75 = 0).....no change.

Just make sure that nothing on the frame hits/contacts if the rear compresses another 1/4 inch at the shock.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
The 05, 06, and 07 sx trails are not by anymeans the same, slightly different angles, vastly different structure and stress points, and reenforcement. I can easily put it on and call it a day, but that doesnt answer any of what im trying to get at
actually the 07 and 06 sx trail's have the same geometry. the 07's just have 3 more mm of travel. and i hardly think that specialized would have changed anything around the headtube area, at least i doubt they would have done anything to weaken that area. and by going with a shorter shock that has the same stroke you are most likely going to have some issues with frame contact on bottom out.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
actually the 07 and 06 sx trail's have the same geometry. the 07's just have 3 more mm of travel. and i hardly think that specialized would have changed anything around the headtube area, at least i doubt they would have done anything to weaken that area. and by going with a shorter shock that has the same stroke you are most likely going to have some issues with frame contact on bottom out.

Dave- thanx a ton, that answers the shock question:clapping:

now....The frame contact with a smaller shock is no issue at all, so throw that idea out. The headtube however is not my only concern with going for a bigger fork. I also worry about the bb height, and the height it will add to my bars/stem because the totem is about the same height as a boxxer

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Find the difference in fork length of of the RS site. Then go find a block of wood/stack of books/etc that is the same height as the difference in forks. Put that block under yoru front wheel and sit on the bike...that is how it will feel with the bigger fork. You can also measure angles and bb heights at the same time, just make sure the bike is straight up and down for the bb measurement.

(make sure the bike is on perfectly level ground if you are measuring angles as 1* slope in the ground will throw your measurement off by 1* etc) or measure with and without the block, in the same spot to get the relative difference in angle (probabaly more relevant)

Apr 28, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Evolution bike shop in Whistler was renting their 07 SX Trails with Boxxer WC's. If they are able to do that and go ahead and rent them, I'm sure the Totem would be fine. The 2 Step would look sick on your bike.

I think you will be fine putting the totem on your SX Trail depending on where you ride and intended use??? Chris Herndon, a local pro DH'er who races for Specialized from our area (who also was on the Worlds DH team this year) raced an SX all season with a boxxer (7 inch) on it all year. The bike did not seem raked out bad at all and I think the totem and boxxer are the same height???

As for the Fox 36, I have one on my SX Trail as well as a 40 on my DH bike and at first had the same problem of blowing through my travel to quickly. Have you set the fork up to your riding conditions/style and weight - i'm sure you have. Hopefully you have an RC2 with the compression adjuster on the bottom - definitely makes a world of difference. I would not have been able to set mine up correctly without it.

Good luck and sweet ride man.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The axle-crown measurement is pretty close between the Boxxer - Totem. If he (Chris or anyone else) lowered the boxxer WC from 8" to 7", that would drop the axle-crown height an inch as well.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i had a pike on the SX before i went to the totem. my bb was 12.5" with the slack shock mount. i only added just over a inch on the front axle to crown with the totem. sure i'm not that fast at xc stuff anymore. but who cares. i got my all around bike, rides great on the dh feels good going back up.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
can the coil totem be lowered to 7inches?

I would go the 2 step but its air and coil feels soo much better imo

edit- dhs, is yours 180mm? does it void the warrenty?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no 180 is fine for the frame. i'm a service manager at a specialized concept store. i've been over this with specialized. its fine.

and 180mm is 7inchess....

edit, mine is the coil version.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
For a comparison....Heres mine with a 160mm 36. (the totem is 180mm)

Hey man, what does yours weigh in at. I ma still deciding between the two forkds two. I've had the first generation Van 36, and I'm currently riding a 06 66RC2X. Can't decide if the stiffness and extra travel are worth the extra weight. This won't be my main DH rig, the demo 8 takes care of that. So, I'm thinking maybe the 36 for weight savings. Thoughts on your 36 for aggressive riding and occasional DH

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think the totem would work great if you were riding DH all the time. I plopped a totem on my bottlerocket and it was a bit to much for the bike, the 36 sits real nice on both bikes (i have ridden both with both forks)...I would go with the 36...

I just saw you were asking about all around riding and occasional dh, i STRONGLY recommend the fork for this my talas handles rocky resort riding very well. Can you monster truck it better with a 40 or a totem yes but the 36 is damn good.

Look at some of the garbonzo dh photos from this year there are more than a few guys running the 36. The travel quality is also way above the rock shox (at least on the air models).

_Bill

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I just wish the coil Totem or 36 Van were adjustable from 160-180. To me that would be the perfect fork for my all-around bike. I currently have a Boxxer Ride on my SXT but it's just too heavy.