Quantcast

totem vs lyrik

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
In the 1 1/8 version...advantages dissavantages? Split between the two, i like how the lyrik has 35mm stanctions, but need something that will take alot of abuse including racing and heavy freeride.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I would go for the Totem if you're into Racing and doing crazy moves. The Lyric is a great 'do everything' fork which means it'll take some mild abuse but unless you're a super smooth rider, I wouldn't use it for racing etc.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
Its going on a sxt, yes i do race it.

Travel isnt as key as performance and reliability...I dont want this thing imploading after a few 30foot tables

I absolutly hate the 40mm stanctions on the totem, thats really why the lyrik appeal so much.

thanks a bunch!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The Totem rocks. Performance and reliability? Either way it's Mission Control, and the Totem is beefier. If it's not too long that's what you want. What's wrong with 40mm?

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
Unless you're pinner, Lyric isn't the fork for racing or heavy freeride, especially if it's of the air variety.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
I really want 170mm of smooth motion control travel in a single crown fork....o why cant I just be granted with the perfect fork... 40mm stantions just get in the way, especially in the air, looking down at two toptubes for lowers....its more mental than weight, just throwing those 40mm stanctions around...ewww

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I really want 170mm of smooth motion control travel in a single crown fork....o why cant I just be granted with the perfect fork... 40mm stantions just get in the way, especially in the air, looking down at two toptubes for lowers....its more mental than weight, just throwing those 40mm stanctions around...ewww
Personally, looking down at those huge tubes gives me back the confidence I lose when I look down and see only one crown. I don't see how they are going to get in the way more than 36mm, so yeah it's mental. Anyway I've been really stoked so far and for what you are talking about, unless you are really light or smooth I still say the Totem is the way to go. I got the coil version and so far it gives me a power bulge every time I ride it.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
What the heck guys?

Since when is a 35mm stanchion fork not good for hard riding? WTF?

I guess all those 66 forks are just XC forks now too, because another fork has larger stanchions... :disgust1:

If the amount of travel works, ride the poop out of it!

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
word man, thats my logic...however construction and durability comes into play, i dont need the travel, just the strength of something that will hold up to alot of abuse.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
word man, thats my logic...however construction and durability comes into play, i dont need the travel, just the strength of something that will hold up to alot of abuse.
I could only see any structure advantage going with the Totem in 1.5.

Also, a longer fork sees more stress than a shorter fork. If the 11/8 steer tube is same strength on both forks, then the Lyrik should be pretty close in strength to the Totem.

If 35 mm stanchions are weak, then why the hell is anyone riding DH on 32 mm stanchioned Boxxer forks?