Quantcast

Towing my BMX with my roadbike -- mad science

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Have I lost my mind?

Nope.

I just noticed it takes me half as long to ride somewhere on my roadbike as on my BMX. Also, it saves more energy for the fun stuff when I get there. ALSO, I want to save the planet by using human-power as much as possible.

Therefore, I am looking for ideas on how to tow my BMX (and possibly my DH bike) to spots.

I have seen BAH's excellent innovations: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168060
but I don't have the cash for an extracycle just now.

Basically, I reckon I can use the same principle as a BOB trailer if I attach the BMX fork to the rear of the roadbike rigidly. Then the BMX can pivot at the headtube, and the rear wheel will track.

Ideas?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
By the time you hook your BMX onto the road bike, your BMX alone will probably be easier to ride.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
By the time you hook your BMX onto the road bike, your BMX alone will probably be easier to ride.
in my proposed solution, the trailer hooks onto a special QR on the rear wheel: 30 sec.

detaching the BMX front wheel and strapping fork to trailer: 2 min.

Re-assembly: 2 min.

Time saved riding 15km on roadbike: 15 min.

you do the math.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I was saying it'd be easier to ride your BMX. I wasn't talking about setup.

I guess though that 15km is a lot more than I expected.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Get a Burly trailer. They are easily big enough to haul 3 bmx bikes if the wheels are taken off.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
what about taking the front wheel off the BMX, adding extensions to the fork, and hooking up the front end to your rear axle by either loosening your QR, or running a longer one.

Just an idea.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
what about taking the front wheel off the BMX, adding extensions to the fork, and hooking up the front end to your rear axle by either loosening your QR, or running a longer one.

Just an idea.
It's a good idea, young jedi, but the spacing on a roadbike rear QR is a whole lot wider than a BMX front wheel.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara

Just an idea.
Or you could just invent a teleportation device and get there that way.

Hahaha. I haven't seen you forever Natt.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
K ive got it. find a cheap fork and cut bottems off. Then weld those on to the ends of a bolt that is long enought that you can run a larger QR like kona biker said. If welding the tabs on to the axle(bolt) is to hard then first weld some solid blocks on the end and then attach the tabs to
the blocks :biggrin:

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
K ive got it. find a cheap fork and cut bottems off. Then weld those on to the ends of a bolt that is long enought that you can run a larger QR like kona biker said. If welding the tabs on to the axle(bolt) is to hard then first weld some solid blocks on the end and then attach the tabs to
the blocks :biggrin:
Here are few things from Nashbar that could be somehow adapted to your use.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=0001&sku=18733&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Brand: Nashbar

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=0001&sku=9308&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Brand: Nashbar

I have the kid trailer for my son and it may be cheap but it gets the job done. Not as high quality as a Burly trailer but good enough. I'm not sure how you'd do it but I'm sure something could be worked out to tow a bmx bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just in case the OP still is looking for a solution 1.5 years after he posted this thread, i'd suggest a Kona Ute.

Oct 9, 2006
Use a standard rear bike rack and mount a Yakima fork mount on the rack and attach the bike and strap the wheel on with a bungee or if you wanna get fancy get a wheel fork holder thing.

plus

and like I said if wanna get fancy....