Quantcast

TPC+ In MRD X Works???

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
Does anyone know if it is possible to run TPC+ in a MRD X Works Dorado? Do you think a TPC+ system out of a 05 Dorado DH 180 would fit?

Has anyone done this?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i guess for starters it would probably reduce your travel, and youd probably have a few minor preload issues to worry about, but the best way to find out would be to check what parts are different by looking at an exploded view or parts sheet.

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
Yeah, some exploded views would be great, but I have looked all over the net and I can't find any. :mad:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
call manatou and talk to bobbie in warrantie/tech and let him know that you are not happy with the fork, he will know what is possible with your fork. They were more than fair with me about handling my x-works issues.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
Can be done.
It's not summing you want to let your little brother do, but i've heard several modifications to make Xworks feel more like TPC+ and even plain rebuilds to TPC+
Dunno where you're based, but the worldcup mechanics at bikeright in holland (a company affiliated with Beone) have done this before.

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
I just want to ditch the SPV and replace it with TPC+. I’m from Australia by the way.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I wanted to do the same thing last year and I was told that the swap was not possible. Of course that was a while ago and things may have changed. I gave my fork to the manatou guys at crankworks for two days because they said that they finally had a fix. Well the 'factory fix' was to DRILL a hole straight through the damper piston. Sure it killed the excess platform but it also did away with any damping at all. I Effectively had a $1800 ported damper fork. Not Cool! That is when i got ahold of Bobbie and he 'fixed' the situation. Try to talk to the distributor in aus. Word from several people arround here is that the x-works was actually recalled although Bobbie would not use that term. I think manatou is trying to find other solutions for most people so they dont have to refund everybody for all of the x-works sold. Good luck

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
DEfinately can be done. The Canadian distributor OGC is doing it. Call Bobby and he'll sort you out.

I have no idea of the cost, but from what I hear it's worth it.

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
Is the Bobby you are talking about Bobby Acuna from Manitou? If so, I Just E-mailed him and he said it is not possible to put TPC+ in them. :eek:

But you say it has been done, right?

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
I've got an X-works that has been reworked with a TPC+ cartridge instead of the SPV. It brings it down to 180mm. It is the best fork I've ridden. Hell it even survived a beat down at Windrock last weekend.

Like Farkin dude said, get intouch with your local Manitou service shop and they should be able to do the upgrade.

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
Marcus at SCP was the first person I contacted. I ask him this question and he answered with the following:

Hi

Is it possible, with a few modifications, to convert a late model 2004 Dorado MRD X Works to TPC + and still retain 200mm travel?

Cheers
Regan

Hi and thanks for the enquiry, to my knowledge it is not possible, to convert the MRD to the TPC style fork, as the tpc assemblies are for the 180dh forks only, and to be honest I don’t even have them in stock.

Kind regards,
Marcus O'Leary

So, I've emailed Bobby Acuna again and asked for an exploded parts view of both the X-Works and the 05 Dorado DH for comparison. I just hope he replies to my email.

flow said:
I've got an X-works that has been reworked with a TPC+ cartridge instead of the SPV. It brings it down to 180mm. It is the best fork I've ridden. Hell it even survived a beat down at Windrock last weekend.

Like Farkin dude said, get intouch with your local Manitou service shop and they should be able to do the upgrade.

I've got the same, and yeah, they feel excellent!

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
I have contacted Marcus and Bobby and both of them said it cannot be done, they do not recommend it nor do they authorize it! :mad: :confused:

If all else fails I think I will try and modify a MOJO cartridge and run that in them...

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Serioulsy, i don't see why it can't be done.

The forks are externally identical, i know marcus from manitou australia has converted SPV shermans to TPC shermans. I don't see why the doritos should be any differant.

But, it would be an expensive "upgrade". One completly new damper for a dorado is not going to be cheap and you end up with a fork identical to the dorado 180 which was cheaper to begin with.

I would be inclined to sell the fork and just get a 180 dorado, would probably work out at almost the same same cost and without all the hassle.

-Matt

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
Just about everyone I talked to with an MRD X-works Dorado 203mm sent it to Manitou (or the local service centre) and recieved the fork back as a 180mm TPC+ Dorado.

I'd call your local distributor again

Regan

Chimp
Oct 19, 2004
Does any one know if the fork really is internally identical? Bobby said the inner legs were different or something.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
vitox said:
i guess for starters it would probably reduce your travel, and youd probably have a few minor preload issues to worry about, but the best way to find out would be to check what parts are different by looking at an exploded view or parts sheet.

back to square one.

HellBentDH

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
I sent my X-Works in for a rebuild and got it back with the second generation SPV Evolve damping. It feels much plusher, I'm really liking it.
This months Mountain Bike Action magazine has a review of the Intense M3. The bike they reviewed is a team build with an X-Work fork, 7.1 inches of travel and TPC+ damping.