Quantcast

TR250 sneak preview on Pinkbike

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm also struggling to see the point. If you've got a season pass and you're gonna ride a bike park, why not just get a full DH bike? Especially at that weight?
I guess its more like a bombproof jump bike? For riding more FR-ish stuff? I could see the use of a bike like that. But again "Light, strong, cheap pick one", seems like you only get one here.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well, fun it what it's all about. And the mo' bikes the mo' better!

But now let's just say I take a TR450, stick a 50 lbs heavier spring on it and back off the damping settings...pops your uncle! :)
Still the geo would be different.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is without a doubt (IMO) the best looking coolest bike I have ever seen...

It's so clean and real world functional it's stupid...At some point I will probably own one...I really hope this bike is a 150mm 83mm it would make it like very little on the market, absolute perfect bike park bike...

Build it with a totem, dhx ti, xtr cranks, x0, cromag parts, thompson post, crampon pedals...hadley or i9 hoops...man im drooling thinking about it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
"Availability should be around late January/February 2011"

Filed behind the "Believe it When I See It" tab . . . .
I work part time for a dealer, they are usually dead on with availability...the only time i have witnessed a slide was with the Trans Am cromo frame...every other bike is right on the money.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Like what Transition is doing right now. One of the few bike companies that has a really complete and diversified line up. Plus, like Yeti or Intense, they have a killer overall look, you know when you look at the whole bike and everything just looks dialed. Not many companies manage to do so. Most of them always put some stupid stuff, like a big ol saddle with a weird angle coupled to an 11-34 cassette on a 4x bike for example...
Yep if a bike is an eye sore it kinda sucks to ride...Transition just get's it right now i dont understand why other companies dont take a hint...

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Hey guys, just wanted to clarify a couple things about the 250.

The bike is a 12x150mm & 83bb. And the travel is adjustable from 6' - 7"
I have a special set of Crankbrothers Iodine rims and spokes laced up to Opium hubs, so apologies about the confusion there. It is fully compatible with 6" & 7" singlecrown forks, as well as DH forks.

This bike weighs 35lbs built as you see it here. Yes it is a bit on the hefty side, but we prefer the bike be as durable and reliable as possible, rather than the lightest bike out there. However it can definitely be built lighter without a full Saint group.

I will be thrashing and testing this bike for a while to assure she's spot on, as I did the 450...

Lars

Last edited:

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Just saw the sneak preview of the new Transition Mini-DH bike... Looks great.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/transition-TR250-Sneak-Peak.html
A couple a months ago I responded to a post from one of the Transition guys and shared my desires for exactly this. Then I saw the new Blindside and was not exactly what I was hoping for. I think they will have a very popular item with the new TR250.:thumb::thumb:As you see i go by DHRracer,I have had a 2001,2005 and a 2008 DHR when the TR450 came out I saw the same thing alot of people did a updated or Transition version of a DHR.I still have the 2001 with a 66 up front and got say a blast on the more buffed out trails like Crank it Up,and Karate Monkey. It is interesting see that some of the PNW riders that used to love there Turners are now on a TR450. As shocks and forks advance I think a lot of people will find 8" of travel is just not needed alot of times. As well as more and more trails like the ones mentioned are becoming increasingly more popular. The TR250 will be a big hit.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO

I have a special set of Crankbrothers Iodine rims and spokes laced up to Opium hubs, so apologies about the confusion there. It is fully compatible with 6" & 7" singlecrown forks, as well as DH forks.

This bike weighs 35lbs built as you see it here. Yes it is a bit on the hefty side, but we prefer the bike be as durable and reliable as possible, rather than the lightest bike out there. However it can definitely be built lighter without a full Saint group.

I will be thrashing and testing this bike for a while to assure she's spot on, as I did the 450...

Lars
That's awesome. I know you had a lot of input on the TR450, and man you nailed that one- I'm sure the 250 is going to be a great little brother (just as the names suggest).

35lbs isn't heavy! That's light! People that are confusing this for a trail bike might think it's heavy... but's a different issue.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I work part time for a dealer, they are usually dead on with availability...the only time i have witnessed a slide was with the Trans Am cromo frame...every other bike is right on the money.
Gen 2 Blindsides took forever to get on the boat. I remember because I had to put my Gran Mal back together to race Sea Otter that year.

Highspeed

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003

Lars
Nice, what you think the bb height will be with a Boxxer?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Well, I don't need to jerk off today.....

Now i'm almost sad I just picked up a round tube single pivot DHR frame, but the price was too good

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
TRUST me. I know what I'm talking about. I gots me some inside sources.
Considering a few details aren't even final yet I think you have been mislead...

Hang tight for an official answer from Transition regarding production numbers.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I was at the WC Fort William and couldn't believe how many TR450s were being ridden in the qualifyers. I for one keep backing out of picking up a full DH rig since I dont have any trails that could benefit from one and second I just prefer freeriding too much. I am just in the market for another bike and looking at January for build date. Baam! Trasition deliveries the perfect option. I have been looking for an older Blindisde cause I am not sure the new one is what I want. The TR450 was a consideration but it really is a DH race weapon. This 250 is insane but I hope they have a 65* head angle as an option for freeride duties.

And 35lbs is not heavy. Yes the Iodines probably help but a 35lb ball park is good.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
is the bottlerocket dead? When I heard there was a redesign being done in june I was told that i would get no info except i'd be completely blown away. I think it's amazing, I just think that the cheaper bottlerocket would still sell amazing. You don't have to answer if that hasn't been decided. I'll bother yall on monday when i ride it..haha

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Great looking bike, wish I could afford another stable mate sadly I can not. If I hadn't just pre-ordered a StumpJumper Evo this would be the next candidate down the list... Awesome looking bike looks like loads of fun. Lets see how long it takes for Ridemonkey to forget about it and move on to the next flavor of the month.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
if you really want to know the HA why don't you just get out the protractor and check it on the screen? looks to be pretty spot on to me. although i didn't like how the TR450 i rode was suuuuupppeeeerrrr raked out. just me. reminds me of a lighter, newer version of my commencal supreme. so yea, it should rock your socks off.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Looks niiiice and it's definitely getting added to my list of bikes to consider for next year. Not a huge racer (2-5 races/yr), but I like me some hike-a-bike/shuttle trails and this bike looks to fit the bill to a T!!

I sense a large amount of these being sold next year.

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK
Viva la revolution!

I love the look and idea behind this kind of bike. I've never got on with DH bikes, always too tall, even when I tried a Sunday with a negative rise stem, zero stack headset and flat bars, it just felt too tall. Then the travel always feels too much, wallowing and not giving me a real feel of the ground, so they lacked on sharp corners. I guess really the kind of bike I like is not a purebred race bike aiming for the fastest way down the track... I like my super low SS2, 65 degree headangle that although slack, as the fork is shorter than any dual crown it is still responsive, short travel with a little extra low speed gives an incredible feel in corners and a 13.5 bb probably gives little hindrance to that point ;) Plus, it makes freeride that much more fun. Mini DH bikes are capable of all that a DH bike is (albeit slower), but they're just more fun to do it with.

Although, here with the TR250 I see a few downsides, a 83mm bb and 150 hub is going to limit you with weight options, I like the wide Q factor of a 83mm crank but the 150mm rear hub doesn't make sense. Especially when you'll be using a flexy front end and wheels. A 9 pound frame without shock won't help either. And a 1.5 straight headtube is much better.

13.25 BBH, 64 H/A, super short 1.5 headtube, low leverage ratio (or any other way of making it ride high in the travel), super progressive ramp up, low top tube and slack seat tube angle. Top it off with clearance for true 2.7 tires and some mud, so people who can actually corner don't get buzzing teh side knobs on the stays.:thumb:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
If I were a bike whore I'd replace my Highline with this...But I'm keeping it and hoping to spend the money on some upgrades.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I was under the impression the 83mm BB was a function of having a 150 rear. I don't know of any 83/135 combos on the market, and I would imagine the chainline on those is buggered. I would also assume the 150 rear would be helpful in allowing for a bigger tire, like a true 2.7. I'm confused about why you are confused by the 150???

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was under the impression the 83mm BB was a function of having a 150 rear. I don't know of any 83/135 combos on the market, and I would imagine the chainline on those is buggered. I would also assume the 150 rear would be helpful in allowing for a bigger tire, like a true 2.7. I'm confused about why you are confused by the 150???
People use still use 2.7? I was sure it went away

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I was under the impression the 83mm BB was a function of having a 150 rear.
I don't know for sure, but I was under the impression it's the other way around- the 150mm rear hub is a function of an 83mm BB...because:

- wider rear hub probably has a small effect on stiffness (think just hub width only, ie 135 enclosed thru axle vs 150 enclosed thru axle, NOT 135 QR vs 150 thru axle)
- the main gain in stiffness would be a huge frame downtube and wider swingarm pivot, which requires a wide BB shell, hence 83mm vs 73mm
- the hub is then widened to fix chainline

Again, I'm not a mtb frame designer, so I don't know for sure, but that's what I would guess. Any mtb frame designers that have done the actual testing care to comment? ie, apples to apples comparison via FEA and physical testing.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Just about everything is better with 150. More chain clearance by the tire when you're in the easiest gear trying to get back to the top of the jump line, wider BB=wider pivot, 150 rear builds a stiffer frame/wheel, wider foot stance makes drifting corners feel better,.

The Q factor is't that great if you're climbing more that 3 miles but i doubt any/many will be doing this on the 250. A loss of pedal clearance is kind of a drag though..he he...

I will probably never own an 8" bike again, but i absolutely love my light/low/slack/pumpy/whippy/scrubby singletrack destroyer 7" bike.

This 250 is beavier/burlier than i need but damn it loks cool and i'm sure it's a total blast to ride.

The question is...Lyric 170 or 36 180? My Lyric 170DH solo air is really damn good, it's light (4.9lbs) plush, doesn't dive, doesnt clack bottom and is easy to work on and tune. It's 95% singlecrown Boxxer. Not much wrong with the 36 180 either though.

Last edited:

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK
Poor explanation on my behalf here.

83mm BB and 150 hubs are supposed to be together, yah. I just don't like the lack of options as for chainsets. You've got Saint, and overwise venture to the world of pressfit or somewhat unreliable options.

What I was trying to say was ditch the 83x150 setup for a nice bolt through 135 x 12.

Someone else said about 2.7 tires being dead. And that may be the case, but both my Reign X and Intense have had clearance issues, both made for a true 2.5 tire to clear with some mud space (Reign X more so), but under heavy cornering the outside tread is capable of scrubbing the stays. On both bikes I had this problem and both use 12mm bolt through axle setups.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I suspect Transition is keeping with the 83/150 simply to cut down on re-tooling/manufacturing costs. Presumably, (and this is just eyeballing the ONE picture of it out there) the TR250 shares a lot of machined parts/hardware with it's larger sister.

Lower cost to manufacture >>> lower price the end customer has to pay for a sweet, purpose-built bike with [what looks like] great geometry. Win-win for everyone.

I'm reallllly diggin' this bike. Transition hit a grand slam in the slopestyle genre (there are a ton of Bottlerockets out there) over the past few years and the TR250 looks like it'll carve out a nice spot in the growing "mini-DH" niche. The [unfortunate] reality is, not everyone who loves to ride (or "race") DH lives near epic mountains or super technical terrain (B.C., Colorado, PNW, Appalachia, etc.) so having a full-on DH bike (like a TR450) isn't 100% necessary. You can get away with less travel for less weight and still have the same fun.