Quantcast

Tracey Hannah to return?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Basically, she disclosed herself as an uppity woman, for better or worse. :) Some sponsors like that, many do not.

Her prior comments were thinly-veiled sour grapes about the state of women's pro ranks at the time, but I didn't take it as an attack on her particular sponsors. She was complaining about the game, not the players. Hard to know if she was just a bad deal-maker or if the money was simply not there.

In any case, the fact that what she said may have been true doesn't automatically justify her comments from a business/PR perspective. Like it or not, anything that smells like disparagement will turn off some potential sponsors. A sponsor needs to trust a rider's judgment, and sometime good judgment means playing the game and keeping your trap shut. (Otherwise known as compromising personal values for money, or "selling out".) Those who don't like it can play another game.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Basically, she disclosed herself as an uppity woman, for better or worse. :) Some sponsors like that, many do not.

Her prior comments were thinly-veiled sour grapes about the state of women's pro ranks at the time, but I didn't take it as an attack on her particular sponsors. She was complaining about the game, not the players. Hard to know if she was just a bad deal-maker or if the money was simply not there.

In any case, the fact that what she said may have been true doesn't automatically justify her comments from a business/PR perspective. Like it or not, anything that smells like disparagement will turn off some potential sponsors. A sponsor needs to trust a rider's judgment, and sometime good judgment means playing the game and keeping your trap shut. (Otherwise known as compromising personal values for money, or "selling out".) Those who don't like it can play another game.
Exactly...

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Basically, she disclosed herself as an uppity woman, for better or worse. :)
Women? she was 18-19at the time. I'm sure half the e-warriors here beating her down are twice that age and have never been a successful racer (by successful I mean world cup winner, world champion) especially that young and have no clue at the frustration Tracey went through that season.

I was staying in the chalet in Morzine that she was based at, she's a cool chick unassuming and humble. In hindsight I would think one possibe reason she wasn't able to secure further sponsorship was that she has a quiet demeanor, much like her brother and Sam Hill to a certain extent, which can be misconstrued as stand-offish or rude.

I'm sure now that she's 4 years older and wiser things will go much better for her and she will have no trouble finding her way onto the podium no matter what the forum community think.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If not a woman, was she a child? Since you know her so well, how would she feel about that?

Anyway, you're right: I'm twice as old and half as fast. I am not entitled to comment. :rolleyes:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If not a woman, was she a child? Since you know her so well, how would she feel about that?

Anyway, you're right: I'm twice as old and half as fast. I am not entitled to comment. :rolleyes:
He has a point. At 18-19 you are a kid. You say silly things. What she did was much better than what Zink and a few others did

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
He has a point. At 18-19 you are a kid. You say silly things. What she did was much better than what Zink and a few others did
Maybe it's a double standard but if you want to get paid to travel the world, race your bike, and represent multiple companies, you should be held to higher standards and be responsible for what you say. In short, you should act like a professional, regardless of your age. Being young might explain a comment, but it doesn't mean sponsors will ignore it and keep supporting you.

I'm repeating myself here: "Those who don't like it can play another game."

For the record I have nothing against Tracey and I hope she finds the support she wants to start kicking butt at the World Cup level again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I agree with you. I just think people blow her comments out or proportion. She is older and hopefully more mature but also she is a great asset to any team right now. You take some risk with her but since the downhill world is not much richer now she should have no reasons to complain.

Also in the world flooded with news no one really remembers her statement. The only thing this topic does is reminds people about it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
God, you guys bitch like a bunch of school girls.

Could she have been more judicial in her words? Yes.
Does it seem to be affecting her return? She's coming back, so probably not.
Does it manner to any of you whether she angered her sponsors or not? No.

You guys really need to go ride your bikes. You make 13 y/o girls look social stable.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Maybe it's a double standard but if you want to get paid to travel the world, race your bike, and represent multiple companies, you should be held to higher standards and be responsible for what you say. In short, you should act like a professional, regardless of your age. Being young might explain a comment, but it doesn't mean sponsors will ignore it and keep supporting you.

I'm repeating myself here: "Those who don't like it can play another game."

For the record I have nothing against Tracey and I hope she finds the support she wants to start kicking butt at the World Cup level again.

I like how everyone is making it out to sound like she went around to every media outlet that would listen bitching that her sponsors screwed her over.

Not how I remember it going down at all

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I like how everyone is making it out to sound like she went around to every media outlet that would listen bitching that her sponsors screwed her over.

Not how I remember it going down at all
BIGHITR was right about 1 thing. Ridemonkey = drama ;)

Aug 4, 2008
The point is she said nothing wrong.

If I had the funds and interest in making a move in this direction, I'd sponsor her just to spite you bunch of politically correct pussies. And I'd sponsor her with an absurd amount of money that would make Napalm, Missy and JLo go and sob in the corner.

How can you even come to think that she would have sponsors deny her funds for being "uppity" or "a douchebag".

If anything sponsors would deny her funds for not being enough of a douchebag.

Just go look at the list of best paid DH racers and you will see a cream of douchebags.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
as someone who regularly evaluates sponsorship proposals in a different sport, i can say, in both my personal and professional opinion, her departure and return letters were not offensive, and would in no-way effect my choice to sponsor her or not.

and based on her return, i would suggest that she does in-fact have sponsors already lined up, or i doubt she would announce that she is returning.

Macguffin

Chimp
Aug 6, 2010
....i would suggest that she does in-fact have sponsors already lined up, or i doubt she would announce that she is returning.
Ahh no. She has a bike and 1 set of race clothes. She qualified for some Aus races in jeans and a T shirt so her race clothes would be clean for the final !! She smoked everyone by a LOT of seconds (30?), so good to have her back ! I Believe she has a decent job that will allow her to race and not come home 25 grand (!) in debt!! This girl is committed.

Aug 4, 2008
Ahh no. She has a bike and 1 set of race clothes. She qualified for some Aus races in jeans and a T shirt so her race clothes would be clean for the final !! She smoked everyone by a LOT of seconds (30?), so good to have her back ! I Believe she has a decent job that will allow her to race and not come home 25 grand (!) in debt!! This girl is committed.
What a bitch. I mean, its really a bad form to throw ur sponsers under tha bus liek that.

She could at least go and buy sherself some TLD cloths and Helmatz as to not make her TLD sponser look bad.

I mean every man knows that unatractive woman in cheap clothes will never get married.

Duh.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
What a bitch. I mean, its really a bad form to throw ur sponsers under tha bus liek that.

She could at least go and buy sherself some TLD cloths and Helmatz as to not make her TLD sponser look bad.

I mean every man knows that unatractive woman in cheap clothes will never get married.

Duh.
wait wut? :confused:

edit: sarcasm detector wasn't working

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Duh.
Tracey Hannah is not sponsored by TLD as far as I am aware, not saying I wouldn't. Haven't been contacted.

I try not to scour the internet for public pleas of athlete support.

But thanks for playin stabprimo.

Last edited: