Quantcast

Trade in the truck for a car?

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
I am looking into buying a new car. I've always had a truck but I tired of spending lots of money on gas. I want a car that is going to get good gas mileage. I have asked around and heard that roof racks and bikes, kills a cars gas mileage. Is this true? If so, then what about installing a hitch and using a conventional hitch-mount bike rack? Will this cause drag and kill your gas mileage also?

As you can tell my main concern is getting a vehicle where I'm not going to be throwing my money away on 18mpg. I want something in the 26-32mpg range. Something that I can travel too races with. If bike racks will cause too much drag then I might as well get another truck and use its shuttling offroad potential that a car can't do.

Does anyone have any insight/experience with this? What would you do?
Thanks

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
I did this.

I traded in my Dodge Dakota for a Honda Civic.

I miss the convenience of the truck, but the money savings is well worth it IMO.

I put a hitch rack on after the first confrontation with a parking garage. :imstupid:

The hitch rack is way more convenient anyway. I would rather have it over a roof rack regardless of gas mileage.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
this is waht i use for hauling my bikes. averages around 33 with a bike on the roof. pick up a mile or two per gallon with out a bike and another 1 or 2 without the roof rack on the car.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I hate cars. Maybe I could make use of a wagon, but even the Jeep Cherokee I had sucked. Trucks are best, IMO. A 4 cyl Nissan or Toyota pickup will get the mileage you desire most likely.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my Mazda 3 hatch just recently got 30mpg driving from Dallas to Fredericksburg, TX with a rack on (no bike). lately, i've just been throwing the bike into the car, rather than putting it on the rack. roof racks still freak me out a little bit.

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
my Mazda 3 hatch just recently got 30mpg driving from Dallas to Fredericksburg, TX with a rack on (no bike). lately, i've just been throwing the bike into the car, rather than putting it on the rack. roof racks still freak me out a little bit.
What kind of rack do you have roof or hitch?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I hate cars. Maybe I could make use of a wagon, but even the Jeep Cherokee I had sucked. Trucks are best, IMO. A 4 cyl Nissan or Toyota pickup will get the mileage you desire most likely.
Just as a second opinion - trucks handle like $hit. I've driven alot of trucks and every one has invariably paled in comparison to a car in the handling department.

Cars are best, IMO.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I traded my Tundra in for a Subaru Impreza wagon two years ago and haven't missed it. I get around 25 mpg, but that's because I drive like an idiot, and I have awd, but it's by far better than the 13mpg I was getting with conservative driving in my Tundy. I use a hitch mount to transport bikes, and it's perfect. If you get a car, I strongly suggest getting a wagon out of sheer functionality.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
good bike cars
audi a4 avant
vw jetta and jetta wagon (mk4 wagon)
I've had two Jetta Wagons (1.8T's) that have been great. The only reason I got rid of the first one was because I had hit 80K miles in about 2 years and had an opportunity to trade up for a new one. I run a rack on top of the car and it does affect the mileage by a few mpg.

With the rack I usually get around 25 mpg doing a mix of city and highway driving. Bikes on the rack don't seem to have too much more of an effect on that number but over long distances I'm sure there would be some. With no rack doing highway driving I can get close to 30 mpg and the turbo makes it a really fun car to drive.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yes, roof racks do hurt your mileage. It's not huge, but it is something to consider. If you have a few dollars, get a hitch put on and buy a nice hitch rack. They are way more convenient than roof racks, particularly for heavy bikes, they give better mpg and they keep the bikes out of the way of wind, dirt, and bugs. I have space for 3 bikes on my roof, but I almost always throw the bike in the trunk if I can fit it.

As for a car- look into a wagon or car based SUV, as others have suggested. I have a Forester and it is great. Search here and you will find a lot of info and praise for Subarus. They are reliable, roomy and functional. Most get highway mileage in the mid-high 20s, depending on how you drive and the model. Mine has taken many trips (Canada, VT, CO, ID, MT, WY and everywhere in between), driven on hundreds of miles of dirt roads and been to a bunch of races without anything more than oil changes and new tires and brake pads.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had a roof rack on my GTI and I hated it. Mileage was a little worse but the increased wind noise drove me nuts. A hitch rack will work great with any car you would like.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Charlie,
I went from an old school bloated 4 runner that I used as a truck to a that Civic Si hatch with a sportworks hitch rack. It worked great, and I got 30mpg. If you are going to get a car, I would for sure recommend a hatchback or wagon.
Although that setup worked well for me, I just can't live without a truck. Living where I live, where I shuttle, use the truck for the house stuff etc..., I just have to have one. I would not trade my Tacoma for anything. But then again, I am not driving back and forth from Georgia to Kentucky for school. : )

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
Yeah, Its great to just throw your bikes in the bed of the truck and roll. I'm keeping my options open and looking at several cars, one of them being the Mazada3 hatchback. The styling really impresses me and it gets good gas mileage.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Sounds like me a few months ago. I was tired of my SUV (it was getting old) and wanted something better on gas and more fun to drive

It gets close to 30mpg on the highway with 2 bikes and avg 80mpg Its also lots of fun when the road gets curvy.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Just as a second opinion - trucks handle like $hit. I've driven alot of trucks and every one has invariably paled in comparison to a car in the handling department.

Cars are best, IMO.
It really, really depends on the truck. It's hit or miss. Most trucks handle like crap, have poor weight distribution and really crappy tires.

Most small, econo-style trucks have way too soft of suspension, crappy shocks, crappy tires, etc.

A balanced truck, stiff suspension, with decent tires can out handle some fwd cars. The center of gravity is much higher, and you have to get used to the slow weight shift, but they will pull like you won't believe.

My truck handles awesome and slides perfectly (and yes, I have had many sports cars).

That said. I'm also thinking of swapping my truck for a wagon of some sort. I really don't think it would work considering what I like to use my truck for. My work pays for my gas. But I feel like such a hypocrit when I criticize people who take undo advantage of their employers. If I paid for gas, there is no way in hell I would drive what I drive. And I'm hoping to become self-employed here in the next year or so, which will force me into that position anyway.

Maybee I'll just get a motorcycle. :dead:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
A properly set up car will always perform better then a properly set up truck. Less weight. lower COG etc etc

My work pays for my gas.

It would be more appropriate for work to reimburse you for Mileage (that is the correct IRS way of doing things) For 2007 they just upped the mileage amount even more. So having a more fuel efficient car will give you better $s

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Although earlier I said go for the Prius, I love my truck very much, since I dont think you can fit: an EZ-UP, 2 Couches, 3 gearbags, and 7 bikes into a prius

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
A properly set up car will always perform better then a properly set up truck. Less weight. lower COG etc etc
Yes, always.
I'm saying a proper setup truck can outhandle most stock or poorly set up cars. (depends on the class of car).
Also, I'm thinking more of handling than actual performance (track times). As in a car that is fun to drive fast, not just goes fast.

It would be more appropriate for work to reimburse you for Mileage (that is the correct IRS way of doing things) For 2007 they just upped the mileage amount even more. So having a more fuel efficient car will give you better $s
That's a good point, that would motivate me to drive smarter.
I've shied away from this for two reasons:
1) paperwork and tracking.
2) I was told that the IRS only counts mileage that is work specific. Right now they pay for my commute gas (~1/2 hour, and about 1/2 my overall driving) and the $3 bridge toll just to get to the office. If I switched to mileage reimbursment, I would only get reimbursed from the office on (so I've been told - please correct me if this is wrong).

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That's a good point, that would motivate me to drive smarter.
I've shied away from this for two reasons:
1) paperwork and tracking.
2) I was told that the IRS only counts mileage that is work specific. Right now they pay for my commute gas (~1/2 hour, and about 1/2 my overall driving) and the $3 bridge toll just to get to the office. If I switched to mileage reimbursment, I would only get reimbursed from the office on (so I've been told - please correct me if this is wrong).
Ya to be right on they should only reimburse you for "work related" travel expenses. Which does not include a regular commute. Tolls are additional to mileage, but again only if they are work related travel (not a regular commute).

Either way having a car that is smart and kinda fun to drive at times is has been a lot more enjoyable then driving the SUV, even if you give up some functionality at times.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i'm facing the same dillema. i have an isuzu rodeo (98) and it's just no fun to drive. i've toyed with suspension upgrades, but it really would be too much money to pour into this truck. it doesn't have the convenience of a pickup either, so I really dont see how a wagon with a hitch would be a downgrade in functionality. i get 20mpg highway now, but 30 would be nice.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I bought a minivan. I only paid $3500 for it and it only has 60k miles on it. Its almost like new. I get about 23-26mpg in town and 27-30mpg on the highway. I can take the 3rd row seat out and one of the middle captain chairs. It will hold quite a few bikes and a lot if gear, plus I can lock everything up inside. I never thought I would own a minivan but this thing rocks. I have been thinking about selling my new truck to save money and just drive my minivan.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I bought a minivan. I only paid $3500 for it and it only has 60k miles on it. Its almost like new. I get about 23-26mpg in town and 27-30mpg on the highway. I can take the 3rd row seat out and one of the middle captain chairs. It will hold quite a few bikes and a lot if gear, plus I can lock everything up inside. I never thought I would own a minivan but this thing rocks. I have been thinking about selling my new truck to save money and just drive my minivan.
The minivan *is* the great combo. Take all the seats out of mine & I can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock.

The only problem with vans is that they don't get great mileage and they generally handle like crap compared to a car.

Just went the opposite direction myself. :weee: After 15 years and 185,000 miles on a '92 Sentra I went with a standard cab 2002 Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7L I4 engine. I don't have kids so the lack of a xtra/crew cab is no big deal at the moment and, for shuttling, my dirty, stinky friends can ride in the back. :biggrin:

I was sooooooooo sick of taking the front wheel off my bikes to mount to the roof on the Sentra. It wasn't too bad with QR forks, but I run TA on everything now, and it had gotten to be quite tiresome. Plus, getting to Gooseberry and Little Creek had become an exercise in trying to not rip the bottom off the Nissan; if the road got even a little wet, I would need to spend the night on the mesa. It's a load off my mind to know I have buckets of clearance and four-wheel drive now. I don't have any need or desire to do really hard-core offroading, so the setup of this little truck will, I think, be nice for mixed duty.

I'll probably miss the 30+ mpg mixed driving fuel economy on the Sentra a little, but I think the benefits of a truck will serve my current lifestyle and interests better.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The minivan *is* the great combo. Take all the seats out of mine & I can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock.

The only problem with vans is that they don't get great mileage and they generally handle like crap compared to a car.

Im talking MINIVANS.

I get great mileage with mine and it handles great. Mine has some sort or air leveling suspension in the rear for heavy loads. I found the window sticker and the minivan was $30,000 new! I only paid $3,500 with 60kmiles. Minivans just dont hold their value. Most minivans are in good shape because older people drive them. The owner of mine was in his 70s so this thing has been babied. I dont think its ever been driven in the winter even.... well until I bought it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Im talking MINIVANS.

I get great mileage with mine and it handles great. Mine has some sort or air leveling suspension in the rear for heavy loads. I found the window sticker and the minivan was $30,000 new! I only paid $3,500 with 60kmiles. Minivans just dont hold their value. Most minivans are in good shape because older people drive them. The owner of mine was in his 70s so this thing has been babied. I dont think its ever been driven in the winter even.... well until I bought it.
As am I. Minivans handle like crap compared to a decently sprung car. And Honda minivans hold value *really* well. So do Toyotas. 'Merikan minivans - not so much.

And your definition of "great" mileage must be quite a bit different than mine. 45mpg is the *low* end of "great" mileage, IMO. :p

What kind did you get?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I actually had a Mazda mini van as a rental car once and it handled better than most undersprung cars on the road.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
As am I. Minivans handle like crap compared to a decently sprung car. And Honda minivans hold value *really* well. So do Toyotas. 'Merikan minivans - not so much.

And your definition of "great" mileage must be quite a bit different than mine. 45mpg is the *low* end of "great" mileage, IMO. :p

What kind did you get?

I got a 97 Chrysler Town and Country LX with the 3.8L V6. It has 60k on it and I paid $3500. It was my grandfathers before he passed away. This this is like new.

As for gas mileage;
My 2000 Durango R/T with a 360 only gets 12mpg.
My 2004 F150 4 door only gets 13mpg.
My bronco only gets 12mpg.

So for the amount of room in the minivan, 25-30mpg isnt bad. If I drive just on the hwy only, I can get 30 with a high of 31.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I got a 97 Chrysler Town and Country LX with the 3.8L V6. It has 60k on it and I paid $3500. It was my grandfathers before he passed away. This this is like new.

As for gas mileage;
My 2000 Durango R/T with a 360 only gets 12mpg.
My 2004 F150 4 door only gets 13mpg.
My bronco only gets 12mpg.

So for the amount of room in the minivan, 25-30mpg isnt bad. If I drive just on the hwy only, I can get 30 with a high of 31.
Wow. I tip my hat to your ability to get that kind of mileage. That van is rated for 17city, 24 hwy. I guess in comparison to your $hitty-mileage other vehicles 30 probably is "great." :p

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Wow. I tip my hat to your ability to get that kind of mileage. That van is rated for 17city, 24 hwy. I guess in comparison to your $hitty-mileage other vehicles 30 probably is "great." :p
I think the reason the van gets such good mileage is because my grandfather drove the van on road trips only. He drove it back and forth between Nebraska and Arizona. It was broke in on the highway. I cant believe it gets such great mileage either. I just checked on the last fill up and I got 24mpg and that was hwy and town driving, mostly town.