Quantcast

Trail Beta for Ventura County

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I'm new to the riding scene down here, and I need some help finding some stuff. None of the guys I've met down here know about any decent DH trails (other than SB). I'd even settle for a relatively flat loop.

So, where do I go? There's tons of mountains around here, and I have a really hard time believing that "there's really no DH trails" (or so I've been told by all the local shops). I think that Pine Mountain has about the best that I've seen thus far, but that's a haul to get there (~1.5h for me), and it's not even that great. It looks like there's a couple fun spots, but it's mostly fire road stuff. MTBR reviews for the area pretty much suck.

If there's secret spots/not-want-to-broadcast-online type stuff, can someone at least hook me up with a PM so I have something to ride other than the crappy dirtjumps in Ventura?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
As fas as shuttleable, legal DH in VTA county, there isn't much.

If you push up there's some stuff in Ojai thats pretty tasty.
Pratt, Gridley, Cozy Dell. Horn Canyon is a hell of a push, but its steep and nasty.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
As fas as shuttleable, legal DH in VTA county, there isn't much.

If you push up there's some stuff in Ojai thats pretty tasty.
Pratt, Gridley, Cozy Dell. Horn Canyon is a hell of a push, but its steep and nasty.

Write this down in your trapper Keeper. There is something in the Simi Valley area that is pretty awesome.
Where about in Ojai? Are the directions on MTBR any good in terms of getting there? Gridley and Cozy Dell are on there, but Pratt and Horn Canyon aren't.

Simi Valley something, eh? Is it a rite of passage thingy or something to get to it?

Better yet, does anyone want to ride on Sunday?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'll be in Ojai on Saturday, I was planning on XC'ng Gridley, but I could do push runs on Pratt. Sunday I'll be in SB doing some runs.

The gridley and Cozy dell directions are good, I wrote 'em ;)

Simi is best discussed via pm or email.

Jun 13, 2007
I'm new to ventura county, so I'm not much help....but I did see a book at trek bikes with a crap load of trails in santa barbara and ventura counties. maybe someone here has a copy of it.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Also have Sycamore canyon in pt magu park. Sulphur mountain in oak view area, if you're in the mood for climbing fireroads. Sisar canyon in Ojai. Then just over the border in LA county you have, cheseboro canyon, Backbone..etc.

You also have Suicide in the west lake area for DH runs, it's a long push up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
PM me if you're headed to Ojai, I can show you around. There's some decently fun stuff.

Simi-area has some cool stuff.

Sisar = death march

Sycamore Canyon = really fun XC riding

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
PM me if you're headed to Ojai, I can show you around. There's some decently fun stuff.

Simi-area has some cool stuff.

Sisar = death march

Sycamore Canyon = really fun XC riding
Sisar isn't a death march...it's more like a religous experience so to speak....

Sisar, to gridley riding abck to sisar....that's a death march....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hahaha.

Hey man, next time you're up in Ojai riding DH (or just goin' slow up the hills) send me a PM, I'm always down to ride.