Quantcast

Trail bike tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If I were buying tires and wanted to try something new I'd absolutely consider those. Other than the centerknob sipes that are angled dumb, that tire looks like it would work pretty damn well.

This is how I know people buy tires based on brands and not whether they know what makes a good tire design.

truly dumb is this
or this

But that first one looks pretty legit. And it's made for dirt. Allegedly.
My problem with wtb seems to center around how much these damned things weigh. That dhf knockoff weighs 100g more than the dhf in the “light” format. The dhr2 wannabe is 1400g.

the tires I ended up with are around 1200g per side. I didn’t think it would be so noticeable, but if I can get two tires around 900g, that’s over a half a pound of rotating weight. The vigilante front seems okay as a trail tire, but I am unimpressed with the trail boss so far. Maybe if there was more dirt and fewer leaves, or maybe if it were warmer, but if I’m adding weight then I better be adding traction.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My problem with wtb seems to center around how much these damned things weigh. That dhf knockoff weighs 100g more than the dhf in the “light” format. The dhr2 wannabe is 1400g.

the tires I ended up with are around 1200g per side. I didn’t think it would be so noticeable, but if I can get two tires around 900g, that’s over a half a pound of rotating weight. The vigilante front seems okay as a trail tire, but I am unimpressed with the trail boss so far. Maybe if there was more dirt and fewer leaves, or maybe if it were warmer, but if I’m adding weight then I better be adding traction.
wut

verdict.JPG

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my favorite wtb was the WEIRWOLF. because obviously paws have the bestest tractionzzzz
1700279175878.jpeg

and don't forget about everybody's favorite jurassic dinotire! the velociraptorrrrrr!
1700279270935.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Here just buy these.

they won't kill you

probably

they're made for dirt

See?
View attachment 203794
What is the verdict on it? :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
26 bux!

Enjoy your $26 traction!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Alright, so I ended up scoring some used but good shape dHR2/Dissector/Syerra tires. So far these are proving to be a pretty great trio- dHR2 and Dissector RR for shoulder season, Disector FR/Syerra RR for summer hardpack. Was great this weekend at KT- a little dicey on one wet root and the syerra definitely spins when it’s slick, but holy shit that combo was very fast and it doesn’t give up much in the wiggles. I’m happy.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Alright, so I ended up scoring some used but good shape dHR2/Dissector/Syerra tires. So far these are proving to be a pretty great trio- dHR2 and Dissector RR for shoulder season, Disector FR/Syerra RR for summer hardpack. Was great this weekend at KT- a little dicey on one wet root and the dissector definitely spins when it’s slick, but holy shit that combo was very fast and it doesn’t give up much in the wiggles. I’m happy.
what size dissector were you using?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
29x2.4wt, on 30mm rims, I think.

It definitely gives something up to the more aggressive DHF or DHR2, but I think it has its niche. I would run it all the time as a rear tire with a more aggressive front, but I don't think people are very willing to step outside of their comfort zone when it comes to front tire. There's a thread over on MTBR where people are looking at 1200g tires for their downcountry bikes.... I think if you were playing in loam country you might have more trouble as there is a noticeable gap in the tread, but for hard/loose over hard, I think the dissector is OK.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2.4 seems to be the sweet spot for the trails i ride. my current front is a DHF. no complaints there, but always on the lookout for something that still has grip with maybe better rolling resistance. most of what i ride locally is loose over hardpack.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Big fan of the dissector in the rear, wouldn't hesitate to run that with a DHF or R up front for burlier trail rides. I don't have a ton of time yet but others seem to agree. I think it's more controversial on the front but I think it makes as much sense as some of the other sub-enduro above-XC tires.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I recently switched from DD to EXO+ for trail riding. Same size, compound & tread. EXO+ seems to hook up much better in flat turns.

New tire placebo or reality? (Prior DDs were swapped out because the carcasses got warped from me stretching them over inserts, but the tread was A OK…)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I recently switched from DD to EXO+ for trail riding. Same size, compound & tread. EXO+ seems to hook up much better in flat turns.

New tire placebo or reality? (Prior DDs were swapped out because the carcasses got warped from me stretching them over inserts, but the tread was A OK…)
Well EXO is a way thinner casing, so yeah, but, if you are pushing so hard so that a DD casing is necessary, it won't matter because the EXO would either die from cuts/punctures or need so much air that traction would suffer. I ran DDs (still have em on) for my rides in WA last week and I didn't need them for *most* of the riding, but I sure liked having them at Darrington for their black stuff. I even burped so bad that I banged the rim (no damage) off a rock or root and that was running ~28psi. It's all about how hard you ride and how hard you push the bike into stuff. For our normal stuff here, the EXO + or straight EXO is usually plenty. The park will rip em up though.

Riding DDs everywhere is fairly painful. Painful for pedaling.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i trust mtbr less than pinkbike. it looks like it would make a good front tire.
The concern is the wide gap between the center and side knobs, and that the side knobs tear pretty quickly. It's like the dhf but worse, and when the side knobs start to wear it gets unpredictable. I had one moment where I was clearly on that center channel over a wet root and nearly lost it, and most posters comment about how it likes to be leaned over to corner effectively. Not a big issue but might require a bit more conciousness vs lazy "point and go" riding.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The concern is the wide gap between the center and side knobs, and that the side knobs tear pretty quickly. It's like the dhf but worse, and when the side knobs start to wear it gets unpredictable. I had one moment where I was clearly on that center channel over a wet root and nearly lost it, and most posters comment about how it likes to be leaned over to corner effectively. Not a big issue but might require a bit more conciousness vs lazy "point and go" riding.
That's why the tire is fast. There's nothing much in the center of it...so you roll faster. Got some "hope these work" knobs on the side for turning. While there is a purpose for it IME...it's not my first choice for all-around performance...not even close.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
got it. so it'd be a nice sorta drifty rear tire

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are we talking about the same tires? I'm no Kidwoo (thank god) but with my understanding of tires I wouldn't call the dissector's center knobs "barely there". Smaller than a DHF yes, a bigger channel than a DHR, yes, but nowhere near barely there, not like my Syerra tire.

Most reviews love it as a rear tire and like it as a front:

Some complain about premature wear but found the tire acceptable prior to that:

As a faster rear tire, more aggressive than the aggressor, I think it would make a great trail rear tire with a Assegai/DHF/DHR2 up front. It's screwing around with it up front with a more downcountry rear tire that I think is up for debate, but I've had OK luck with it,

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
135mm trailbike.

I run Dissectors on the rear in 2.4 MaxxTerra with a MaxxGrip DHR2 up front, both in EXO+ They work well on the local pine straw and leaves over hard and not bad on the roots in our local trails.
I really don't mind / kinda like the centre tread, however they need DHR2 side knobs in the worst way.

If I'm going somewhere where there is real dirt and rocks and elevation, then it is usually Assegai up front with a DHR2 in back, but I have been known to run dual DHR2's as well.

meh