Quantcast

trail frames, T-1 hawk farside etc

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
So my bike got jacked today. out of my garage. while i was home. with my dog tied up out front (great fyckin doG) to add insult to injury. but anyway after putting some holes in miscellaneous objects around me im back on the computer shopping for a new bike.

first question: to anyone that has ever ridden a T-1 Garret byrnes or barcode frame, any likes dislikes?

second, more importantly, the kink farside (doyle) complete bike looks legitimate but i have have never heard anything good or bad about it. if anyone has ever ridden one could i get some feedback? more specifically is it a good trail frame? Now im aware doyle is a good trail rider but like I said i have never heard a thing about the complete bike.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
terrible one garrett byrnes. best frame i have ever owned, hands down. how tall are you? i have a 21.25, and it's a tad long for me, so i may try to sell it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sucks about your bike.

I have a kink complete. not the one you're looking at, but the Apex. I swapped a few parts out (personal preference) but no major problems.

crkt

Monkey
Nov 5, 2008
In the woods
sweet thanks for the geometry tips mang, see the only thing i know to look for in a bike is chro-mo and that's why we ask questions :D

grom-dom I'm about 5foot 10, if you are looking to sell let me know I might be interested

insurance doesn't cover it because the damage is less than than 1,000 dollars but thanks for the suggestions Ill look into it anyway

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
I know nothing of the T-1, so can't help you there. However I did just pick myself up a farside. I have only ridden it once and for a short time, about 5 runs through an 8-pack and one of my crank arms came loose - some fool apparently didn't install the bb/cranks tight enough (yeah, it was me). ok, but from my single brief ride, I loved it instantly and it felt better than my old frame from jump #1.

that being said, part of my decision to choose the frame was a personal recommendation from someone who has been riding one for 2 years or so, is a big fan of the frame, and whose riding (and digging) I have a lot of respect for.

side note - he is riding a 20.0 frame, and I am now on the 21.25.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
oh, considering the geo info above, with regards to the Farside, note that the 20.0 - 21.00 top tube frames have a 13.75 chainstay, and with the 21.25, the chainstay bumps up to 14.00.

As for height and size related to frame size, there is the traditional 'taller rider = longer frame', unless you come from a different comfort zone, such as mtb-ing in which case you might prefer a longer feeling frame (this is my case, I moved to bmx from mtb 4 years ago, rode a 21" frame, tried out a 20.25 this past winter - did not like it, just switched to 21.25 and so far have positive results - and I'm only 5 foot 9)

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Terrible One makes great frames. Every Barcode that I have tried felt great. I have one here that I'm about to put together...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I have literally ridden T1 frames for over 10 years, nothing else, and I see no reason to change. They make great products, no hype, clean, they hold up, not to mention you are supporting a company that has done a lot for BMX in general.

Sorry about the bike, but you have some options, and if the option is T1 you have good options!