Quantcast

Trail I've been working on in Huntersville NC

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
I was ok'd about a year ago to build this trail in Huntersville. There were some stipulations such as no elevated structures over 4'. Who says you can't build a 4' ladder drop on top of a hill?

This area is on about 42 acres. We're looking for about 4-6 miles of trail. We didn't want one dedicated freeride area but features you hit along the way that stay within the "flow" of the trail. So far this is what we've built:

1st small drop. good fun since you can send it down the long transition

entry to the next feature. runs about 30'. on the left you can stay on the 2' high option or you can ride up to 4' and drop off the end

drop off

this is a small feature built from some concrete blocks and rocks we found.

another view

jump

berm before the DiCkY drop

DiCkY drop

log crossing of death(it's in the middle of a climb)

little bridge over a gully

teeter to bridge to drop between trees

Jun 11, 2004
We didn't want one dedicated freeride area but features you hit along the way that stay within the "flow" of the trail.
IMO thats the best kind of riding! Instead of just sessioning one spot over and over........you get to hit all the gems along the way as you pedal.

Nice work Jacob! I'd like to check that out sometime..............

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
good work, everything looks nice and sturdy, I'd say just build up the trannys a lil.....

that's a purdy berm

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Good job - I remember somebody telling me about this trail at Wilsons this summer. Can anyone ride these trails? Like to check them out.

thanks.

right now they're not publicly open as I'm still waiting on signage to mark the features, go arounds and trail direction. Need to be covered from a liability standpoint. the only people riding the trail so far are people working on them. if you're interested, I usually work out there Sunday's from 9-1 and then ride for a bit. I could also be convinced to meet up on a saturday if you want to check it out.

thanks.

right now they're not publicly open as I'm still waiting on signage to mark the features, go arounds and trail direction. Need to be covered from a liability standpoint. the only people riding the trail so far are people working on them. if you're interested, I usually work out there Sunday's from 9-1 and then ride for a bit. I could also be convinced to meet up on a saturday if you want to check it out.
I'd be glad to come help you out, I'm in digging shape as I've built about 25 or so jumps behind my house in the last 4 months. If your in Matthews then you aren't far from me. This weekend is shot, but possibly the next. I'll shoot you a pm next week.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
I'd be glad to come help you out, I'm in digging shape as I've built about 25 or so jumps behind my house in the last 4 months. If your in Matthews then you aren't far from me. This weekend is shot, but possibly the next. I'll shoot you a pm next week.
cool, just let me know. if you're in digging shape, we got plenty of berms that need building.....

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
more than likely will not be open to the public by then. still waiting on signage and whatnot. if you're interested in heading out on a saturday or sunday let me know. i can probably get out there to show you around.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Place looks good. Everything is built nice, clean , and sturdy.
Looks good Vinny. Hey Chop, its Bikerdave from VA. went to WG on leave in Jan, saw you added some ladders and I think it was a titertodder in your back yard, looked pretty fun! Just got a Norco sixtwo, be back home for the 4th of July, ridding SS on the 3th of July. catch you on the flip side!

I'm sure your using treated wood, but do you do anything else to the wood to keep termites, moisture, etc... out? I was talking to a guy at Home Depot a couple weeks ago and he said any wood touching the ground would get rotted by moisture and bugs within 1-2 years? Didn't know how much truth there was to it?

I still gotta get out there and help dig one sunday.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
using treated. some decking i treated myself. most if not all supports that are in the ground are cedar posts which will last much longer than treated. and like anything built out of wood, it will need to be replaced eventually.