Quantcast

Trail Requests

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
While we all appreciate all the work Diablo puts into the trails I was hoping us riders can pool their thoughts for a trail request. I feel it would be a great opportunity for us to have a suggestion box and maybe they can create the most popular request when time is available. I would even offer a day worth of work to make it happen. My request would be be a connection from the old exit of Utah or/and Stalker to go across the fire road into a down hill drop then connect into Ripper. Like Victory, I feel this would greatly add to the flow. As well more features at the bottom of the mountain would be a great sell since most can't be seen until one is up on the lift. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
Man i'm with you! I would like & have thought that exact same thing also. We uses to drop onto the fire road from UTAH, but now a day that would be a little risky for people going top speed to hit the step up. Stalker straight into the woods & either link up with ripper somewhere or not is a good idea. The bottom of Diablo really is lame these days for sure, that off camber hill last year was the best, everyone loved it.now we just look @ that wooden feature to the left on the way up, can't even remember it's name! LOL

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
one thing that snowshoe does that i give them a lot of credit for is they'll take a trail(for arguments sake we'll use Utah) and they build a main line, then at a later date go back and cut a new line like right next to the trail. While it just sounds like a new line and not necessarily a new trail, since the path one would be riding is different it will actually feel like a new trail...its sort of a cheap way of building a new trail....w.o actually having to build a whole new trail....think of it as similar to the multiple lines through bushwack...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can link Utah to mid lower ripper after crap schute pretty easy... Its off to your left it was an old race course.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can link Utah to mid lower ripper after crap schute pretty easy... Its off to your left it was an old race course.
I think he means a connector from where stalker ends, directly across the fireroad into the woods, connecting with Ripper higher up from where lower ripper begins.

Personally I like the entrance to lower ripper that's right after the rock rollers on crap chute. That steep-ish section is awesome.

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
While we all appreciate all the work Diablo puts into the trails I was hoping us riders can pool their thoughts for a trail request. I feel it would be a great opportunity for us to have a suggestion box and maybe they can create the most popular request when time is available. I would even offer a day worth of work to make it happen. My request would be be a connection from the old exit of Utah or/and Stalker to go across the fire road into a down hill drop then connect into Ripper. Like Victory, I feel this would greatly add to the flow. As well more features at the bottom of the mountain would be a great sell since most can't be seen until one is up on the lift. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I used to think about that line a lot, like 3 years ago, but then realized that the old Utah exit was a crash waiting to happen, as (others have mentioned) it drops you right onto a ski trail where people are cruising at speed.

As for my suggestion box idea, I'd like to see 'Evil Bob' officially rebuilt and reopen. This time, with a ladder bridge over those pesky snowmaking pipes at the end. There has been hinting at reopening it, but it never happens.

Rebuild 'Morning Wood' too. Trail was fun back in the day.

UncleSixPack

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think it would make sense to link up the wooden kicker on reality show to the little tabletop line on deviant. Or just more intermediate stuff in general... from the new trails, covenant is over my head and ego trip is so flat you have to pedal the whole time-I'd like more variety in between.

And maybe a way to get to tempest a little quicker... but that might not be too realistic.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
only way to make tempest faster would be to do somethin at the top of the trail, once you pass the anthem split if you can't get speed there you need to get off the brakes haha I wouldn't mind seeing the top of dominion get reworked in the direction of removing the first table and either putting in some rollers or something to give you speed then maybe making the second jump a little longer? just my opinion but i feel like the first 3 hits r kinda funny....but then again at this point i'd take any trail construction that occured

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
only way to make tempest faster would be to do somethin at the top of the trail, once you pass the anthem split if you can't get speed there you need to get off the brakes haha I wouldn't mind seeing the top of dominion get reworked in the direction of removing the first table and either putting in some rollers or something to give you speed then maybe making the second jump a little longer? just my opinion but i feel like the first 3 hits r kinda funny....but then again at this point i'd take any trail construction that occured
You have a great idea. If you take the fire road to the left of Dom and go left you can go around and get to Tempest with little uphill involved. What about another line to the upper pond that starts right and makes its way north. Still the same though a suggestion box with the most votes get a trail. Great point on the old Utah although that hill going into the bear cubs in the AM was the best to get the heart pumping in the morning; especially when one was up the the tree and the mother did not move.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Id like to see diablo let trail work be done voluntarily, i would go fix deleverence (evil bob linked into this) if they would let me, its still there, still rideable (although just as sketchy as it was). I think tempest should be longer instead of the the little log things, just some fast flowy tables. I also think reality show should be finished, there was supposed to be sattalite dishes on it, but i guess that didnt happen, im with ACair though, id like to see any new trails or features.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I think if you can cut out epitaph in a week, thn you can cut out a million other dh trails. I am with demo 9. Volunteer trail work would be amazing. WE would maintain all of the trails plus create new trails that everyone wants to see. Where not going to make whoops or tables, but we could make some sweet steep, rooty, rocky, loamy, dh trails.

dkis

Chimp
Feb 9, 2007
Southington, CT
i think diablo should make a medium sized step up onto a wooden platform about 15-20 feet long then you drop off that about 8 feet.....just an idea...

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
Deliverence to Evil Bob was awesome. But, not sustainable. And I don't care. Open it back up!

P.S. I passed a baby bear on Lower Ripper the other day, didn't hang around to look for Mamma bear.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
i want one of those tow lines that they use on bunny slopes at ski resorts for that stupid hill i have to hike up each time i hit tempest.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I was thinking the jamis billboard would be hit a lot more if there was a run up flush with the wall instead of the little foot gap, so people would be more comfortable riding off down the wall instead of launching off the side, like how the ego trip walls are.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
^ wont happen, its their expert wallride, and to be honest, even though its my **** side, if you are doing a wallride, you should be able to bunny hop, pullin off is really easy.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
^ wont happen, its their expert wallride, and to be honest, even though its my **** side, if you are doing a wallride, you should be able to bunny hop, pullin off is really easy.
Agreed, the wall-berms on alpine are fun and have that 'provision' - some stuff should be unhittable until the skills/confidence is there -- we dont need people clogging up things when they should be focussing elsewhere.

Its like carving a diamond run in some freshies and having some doofus parent with their kid on a leash, blocking the trail and scraping the freshies off; head for the green trail until you're ready to rip!

OR - going to the dirt jumps and watching a pile of kids roll all over your lips without hitting the jumps... oh, Im moving towards a rant now!

Im far from 'the man' or destroyer of mountains, but I know my place -Please progress appropriately and dont dumb down the next level!

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
you know what would be cool... The small trail after the Sram Berm (where the two wedges are located)... in that berm, put a small wallrider there to replace the berm.... that would be neat....

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Whoops and a real "MAN SIZED JUMP". I am not talking like 99 cent meal sized, I mean like 2 big whoppers:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/46351/

I mean... Some BMX tracks have bigger jumps than what's at diablo... and downhill bikes have suspension. There is a lot of tech stuff for those who like tech stuff and are advanced, but besides the wall rides, there aren't many advanced jumps.